Author Topic: Flyin the 109K4  (Read 2890 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Flyin the 109K4
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Been lookin at the K4 for a few days...but I cant turn it fer the life of me. I cant shoot the tater, and every time  i dive in there seems to be a con higher then me on my egress out. Any of you 109 Tater tossing lovers care to help?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
Re: Flyin the 109K4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
i can shoot, just cant turn. I guess the ground likes me or somethin
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
Been lookin at the K4 for a few days...but I cant turn it fer the life of me. I cant shoot the tater, and every time  i dive in there seems to be a con higher then me on my egress out. Any of you 109 Tater tossing lovers care to help?

The K4 is awesome, very awesome. Fight "nose up", this doesn't mean use the "community prefered skirt lifting scramble zoom" to stay safe, it means learn to use the verticle while applying tremendous pressure on "less verticle savy" opponents. Harsh angles with minimul verticle separation so you can take advantage of their mistakes quickly!

Most of the Muptards are quite excellent in the K4 and would gladly give you some pointers if asked.  :salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »

:salute I was trying to do a forum search for you, but I'm getting some error with loading the "main" template. However, when it works I'll try to find you a few posts that have helped me, or if you're feeling adventurous enough, you could do the same.
Agent360 has some invaluable training videos that he gives audio commentary on what he's doing in the 109K-4 for some nice reversals. Instead of trying to always turn with something, use your opponent’s turn rates AGAINST them. If they’re attacking you, give them some angles so they think they’ve got you in their pipper when you’re really setting yourself up to gain angles on them.
Ardy321 is very good at the K-4 and can give you some great training exercises.
I've been flying the K-4, but I mostly fly in the DA so my score doesn't show up very high. It's a ruff bird to master and I'm slowly getting better at it
I recommend, for gunnery, to set your MGs out to 600 for getting a good reach, and the 30mm in close, somewhere between 200 and 300 works for most people. Why is convergence an issue? Because of the drop rate and how much arc the cannon is going to put into your projectile.  You've got to aim very differently in the k-4 to hit anything, it's better to lead too much than too little with the 30mm. The big trick to turning, besides using Yo-Yo's for cutting across your opponents turn radius, is learning to work with, instead of against, your engine torque. Pulling back on the throttle when initiating a right turn helps reduce the engine torque working against you, and you can use that engine torque to aid you in rolling into a left side turn. Another thing about the K-4, as Blazzin once told me, is that it can change energy states quickly. You can drop flaps and cut throttle to slow down near stall, and time your WEP use to gain back your E (though I don't advice getting slow around too many bogies in any plane, but this works well when you need to get a quick angle on a spitsteen).
When diving, watch your speed; cut throttle before going in and glide down. You'll usually have to look for a really good angle before winging over, so have some patients and keep your SA up.
Also, practice Power-On and Power-Off vertical stalling to help you learn about the engine torque. Practice doing several full flap brake turns and see just how many angles you can squeeze out of the k-4 before your wing stalls out on you. This will, again, help you learn to manage your engine’s power and how to work with your rudder (try and keep the ball centered unless you need to do some braking or cutting into your opponent’s flight path). If the plane feels like it’s about to roll, throw in some opposite rudder and maybe pull in (if you’re going left) or open up ( if you’re going right) the throttle a bit to help counter the stalls.
Again, I am not the expert at this bird, but I’ve been flying it for a couple of months. Most of the advice I’ve given you has come from Ardy and Agent360. Keep an eye out, as previously suggested, for any of the Muppets, they are amazing pilots in any crate and many of them know how to make magic happen in the 109K-4.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
crossing shots are alot easier then under nose shots, out alomst doulbe the lead and only shoot about 3-5 taters per burst

make sure to chop throttle in rolling scissors

practise makes perfect with the 30mm

dont dive too hard :lol

Take stall limter "OFF" its a must

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2yFy8-gfL0

notice im attempting to make crossing shots, alot more target to shoot at
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:52:21 PM by JOACH1M »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:20:36 AM »
What Owlblink said.
   I set the tater to 225 and the MGs to 400 so i can ping and annoy the running enemy from distance and got an accurate shot for the big gun. Basically you cant hit anything with the tater from 400+, its pointless to spray. Get close, set up a crossing snapshot or a deflection shot, and you will hit the target. Dont forget to lead a lot, just like in the MG-FF cannon. It has real poor balistics but 1 ping will usually kill the opponent.
   You can turn against all the faster fighters: Las, p51s, jugs, tiffies, 190s etc. Against the others you cant turn, but you can overshoot. The best tactic is the above mentioned vertical rolling scissors with the torq roll on the top. Use your flaps, they are great, but harshly increase the torq. effects. Set up your merges smart, you wanna roll left on the top. Right can be a pain, youll need to chop throttle or/and snap, but in the left, with perfect throttle control it will roll into the needed direction like a dream. The plane is nose-heavy, you can push it hard, reverse under 60mph, you wont fall into a flat spin unless you want to.
   Using the snaprolls to force a quick overshoot and a snapshot is another decent tactic. Chop the throttle, bait your opponent, only a very few planes can snaproll better than the k-4, then the 1-ping gun will finish the red guy real quick.
   Find a trainer. Ardy123 aka Bunnies is a good k-4 stik and a great teacher. He will show you how to fly "outta airflow", how to tailslide, instantly change your nose direction where and when you want. Krupnsky uses theese tactics all the time and hes real good in it.
   GL sir
    :salute 
Edit: its just my experience. Im not really good in the k-4 tho.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:08:17 AM »
Don't underestimate the importance of convergence on the K4. Max convergence will sling the 30mm shell upwards quite a bit. Some people enjoy this effect but others don't, its totally a personal thing.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »
What Owlblink said.
   I set the tater to 225 and the MGs to 400 so i can ping and annoy the running enemy from distance and got an accurate shot for the big gun. Basically you cant hit anything with the tater from 400+, its pointless to spray. Get close, set up a crossing snapshot or a deflection shot, and you will hit the target. Dont forget to lead a lot, just like in the MG-FF cannon. It has real poor balistics but 1 ping will usually kill the opponent.
   You can turn against all the faster fighters: Las, p51s, jugs, tiffies, 190s etc. Against the others you cant turn, but you can overshoot. The best tactic is the above mentioned vertical rolling scissors with the torq roll on the top. Use your flaps, they are great, but harshly increase the torq. effects. Set up your merges smart, you wanna roll left on the top. Right can be a pain, youll need to chop throttle or/and snap, but in the left, with perfect throttle control it will roll into the needed direction like a dream. The plane is nose-heavy, you can push it hard, reverse under 60mph, you wont fall into a flat spin unless you want to.
   Using the snaprolls to force a quick overshoot and a snapshot is another decent tactic. Chop the throttle, bait your opponent, only a very few planes can snaproll better than the k-4, then the 1-ping gun will finish the red guy real quick.
   Find a trainer. Ardy123 aka Bunnies is a good k-4 stik and a great teacher. He will show you how to fly "outta airflow", how to tailslide, instantly change your nose direction where and when you want. Krupnsky uses theese tactics all the time and hes real good in it.
   GL sir
    :salute 
Edit: its just my experience. Im not really good in the k-4 tho.

Just because you don't practice the art of the tater enough, is no reason to spread lies.       :D

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »
Just because you don't practice the art of the tater enough, is no reason to spread lies.       :D
Ooopps  sorry    im real low on the tater aim then...
AoM
City of ice

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »
Ooopps  sorry    im real low on the tater aim then...

Actually forget I said anything...

If you are 400+ from you are completely safe.

In fact, feel free to fly straight and level....

:noid

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »
I've got my tater set to 650 convergence.  The extra upward angle allows a more normal snapshot picture with less lead required and you can easily hit at 650+ if needed although most of my shots are still within 400.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
I've got my tater set to 650 convergence.  The extra upward angle allows a more normal snapshot picture with less lead required and you can easily hit at 650+ if needed although most of my shots are still within 400.

Only if you're leading a target that's pulling into a turn.

If you're trying to hit something straight and level (i.e. a runner) it'll screw your aim up big time unless he's exactly at 650 yards. I find that happens quite often.

I'm of the opinion you set it to the range you kill most at. Don't set it to "lob"... don't set it to "drop"... That screws with your mental estimation of lob/drop. You should be taking that into consideration rather than compensating and then NOT taking into consideration, if you get what I'm saying?

IMO set the Mk108 to shorter ranges unless you're hunting bombers specifically. It is an inaccurate weapon, no getting around that. Best way to kill with it is closer to the target.

Don't underestimate the importance of convergence on the K4. Max convergence will sling the 30mm shell upwards quite a bit. Some people enjoy this effect but others don't, its totally a personal thing.

Ultimately I do think it comes down to this, but if somebody is new to the 30mm I would suggest a shorter range to become more familiar with it, before deciding that they want to "sling" the round higher. They need to understand it under normal situations before changing it to abnormal.

Not that I'm all that great with it myself, but I get by sometimes.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
You need to be mindful of dispersion when you shoot the 30mm at the longer ranges. You can aim correctly and still miss.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 11:52:01 AM »
Tater set at 225 13's set to 325
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:23 PM »
MaSonZ,

I am bunnies... (In game ID)
1) hook up with a trainer, have them show you the basics
2) find me in game and I'll show you some stuff to practice
3) hook up with owlblink and others trying to learn it, practice with them.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)