Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Ki84
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:31:09 PM »
That's like asking for an extra drop tank for a P-51. Why?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
Why not?

Its simply historical, the plane has the ability to carry a drop and a bomb, like a corsair.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:42:05 AM »
The Ki-84 in AH already has the capability of carrying two 250kg bombs.  What we don't have is the ability to carry one bomb and one drop tank, though I am not sure how needed that is in AH as it would be very awkward as the aircraft's balance changed while draining the drop tank.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:43:41 AM »
Why not?

Its simply historical, the plane has the ability to carry a drop and a bomb, like a corsair.

Well...I guess your right, if it happened in reality than there is no reason not to have it in AH. +1

"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 02:01:30 AM »
the P-38 has this option, so +1

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:59:24 AM »
The Ki-84 in AH already has the capability of carrying two 250kg bombs.  What we don't have is the ability to carry one bomb and one drop tank, though I am not sure how needed that is in AH as it would be very awkward as the aircraft's balance changed while draining the drop tank.

How do they currently model it (change in balance as one tank drains) if I take off in my Typhoon with two droppies, but immediately drop one of them and keep one of them Wouldn't this be the same? If anything, the drag and weight of the bomb would dampen the effects of the change in weight of the droppy.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
I fly I thi Ki-84 a lot, and I have to say that this really isn't necessary.  The thing has a huge range on internal fuel already.  If I am taking ord, I want both bombs, and if I am taking the DTs and 25% fuel I want both tanks.
If HTC wants to update the Ki-84 series, I'd rather see the -Ib or -Ic armament models (4x20mm / 2x20mm, 2x30mm) added to the mix.

$.02

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
It isn't just about what would be used in game, it's also about historical accuracy.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
I love the Ki-84, and I would like to see it for the historical accuracy reason. But honestly I wouldn't use it much in the MA. If I was going to take bombs I would take both. But maybe it would get some Special event use.

As the other poster said I would rather have the -Ib or -Ic gun package.

But it shouldn't be that hard to add

+1  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
a 4 20mm KI :O

oh the whines that would cause :rofl

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:57:27 AM »
If HTC wants to update the Ki-84 series, I'd rather see the -Ib or -Ic armament models (4x20mm / 2x20mm, 2x30mm) added to the mix.

Although it pains me to disappoint a fellow Ki-84 fanatic, I'm sorry to inform you there was no version of the Hayate fielded with two 30-mm cannons. The model which you describe as the -Ic carried, in practice, a single Ho-155 30-mm cannon in the starboard wing, nothing in the port wing and two Ho-5 20-mm cannon in the cowling. The single installation reflecting the availability of this weapon which was only entering mass production at the war's end.

Fielded units might number as little as three, and apparently even they flew on occasion with that cannon removed. it can't really be regarded as anything more than an experimental or testing version.

The model which you refer to as the -Ib was essentially fielded in response to the appearance of the Boeing B-29.

The hardest part to establish with this model is the numbers actually produced. The four cannon version being manufactured at one point in parallel with the two cannon version with the unique aircraft identification numbers for that type being assigned a new starting position to allow room for the accommodation of the continuing production of the standard model.

Photographic evidence is not useful because externally the differences are only a slightly different size, shape and location of the gas ejection ports on the sides of the forward fuselage. The instrument panels were also different to accommodate the slightly larger breeches.

Current research can do no better than to place the production numbers of the four-cannon version somewhere between 100 and 350 models produced. This is from an approximate 3,500 Hayates produced in total.

The reception of this model if introduced to Aces High is difficult to predict. On the one hand we now have the B-29 which was the reason the four-cannon version was produced and so one could argue it is justified. On the other, it is indistinguishable from the two cannon version visually and a little known fact about the Aces High Hayate is that it is basically the poorest performing mainstream production model fielded (I must qualify this statement by ignoring the so-called emergency construction versions, which were total poo).

We currently have the so-called Ki-84-Ia early production version, this was replaced on the production lines (during the approximately 18 months of production in total) by a late production version which was lighter and had a slightly more powerful engine. The four cannon version was based on this model, thus if this is introduced to Aces High, it would be a lighter, more heavily armed and a more powerful version of the current Hayate we have.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 12:36:51 PM »
I know the -Ic was only produced in very small numbers - I didn't know that they would run them with only 1 30mm though.  I'd be perfectly happy with a -Ib with the 4 x 20mms and the more powerful engine.  I have seen estimates that this only represented about 10% of actual production, so that must be where the 350 produced estimate comes from.  This would be an easy mod for HTC to make, and we have plenty of examples of rides that are here with less than that number produced. 

$.02

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »
We currently have the so-called Ki-84-Ia early production version, this was replaced on the production lines (during the approximately 18 months of production in total) by a late production version which was lighter and had a slightly more powerful engine. The four cannon version was based on this model, thus if this is introduced to Aces High, it would be a lighter, more heavily armed and a more powerful version of the current Hayate we have.

Your comment about the single 30mm is quite interesting. However, given Japanese quality of large-caliber cannons I doubt it would have been very good, even if produced in larger numbers. The Japanese had nearly perfected 20mm cannons, but their 30mm, 40mm, and 37mm left a lot to be desired.

You are incorrect in regards to the lighter, more powerful version. The later engines could not be run at any higher a power rating than the engines they replaced. They were derated and ran at lower power levels. The quality of production as well as the quality of the gas and lubricants available meant that the Ki-84-IIs had no more power than the model they were supposed to replace.

For all intents and purposes it would be the same airframe and engine, from an AH perspective.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
Leave MY KI84 ALONE!!! its good how it is. If u want longer range just take 100% fuel. *that was easy*. :salute
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2