Author Topic: Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa ("Oscar")  (Read 40166 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa ("Oscar")
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
moot/mute bugs me in the same way  :lol

I've seen the worse, too, where folks read a word and then don't know how to say it. It's happened to me (when I was a kid) but some adults I've known couldn't pronounce words like epitome when they read it. "Ep-ihh-tome" (i.e. tome, a volume of litrature)... They had no clue what it was til I corrected them, then the light went on over their heads.

'Course the words I screwed up were mostly aviation related. I read in the books what horizon was (as in, artificial) but when I said it I got it wrong, lol. My excuse was I was probably all of 8 years old. To my defense, I was sitting in a Huey cockpit at an airshow and the pilot was asking me if I knew any of the instruments. I could point out all the major ones, at least.  :D
the absolute worst one is woman vs women...i can't even fathom the number of english speaking americans that do not know the difference, it's too many to contemplate without getting a migraine.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
D3A1 is about 40-50mph slower than the Ki-27.  If we had a D3A2 we'd be much better off in that regard.

Thank you. I was about to question both the wingloading and speed but didn't have time to go check data. I'd still like to see former for an unladen D3A1.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
moot/mute bugs me in the same way  :lol

I've seen the worse, too, where folks read a word and then don't know how to say it. It's happened to me (when I was a kid) but some adults I've known couldn't pronounce words like epitome when they read it. "Ep-ihh-tome" (i.e. tome, a volume of litrature)... They had no clue what it was til I corrected them, then the light went on over their heads.

'Course the words I screwed up were mostly aviation related. I read in the books what horizon was (as in, artificial) but when I said it I got it wrong, lol. My excuse was I was probably all of 8 years old. To my defense, I was sitting in a Huey cockpit at an airshow and the pilot was asking me if I knew any of the instruments. I could point out all the major ones, at least.  :D

For all in tents of porpoises, it's pretty much the sane.  Maror or less.   ;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »
I'd still like to see former for an unladen D3A1.

Right after reading that, I thought "African? Or European?"

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
I thought "You mean to tell me Vals is migratory??"

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
I thought "You mean to tell me Vals is migratory??"

African Vals are non-migratory so they couldn't carry a coconut anyway.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »
African Vals are non-migratory so they couldn't carry a coconut anyway.
Narrator: Meanwhile, not more than two swallow's flights away, Arthur and Bedivere had discovered something. Oh, that's an unladen swallow's flight away, obviously. There were more than two laden swallow's flights away, four really, if they had the coconut on a line between them. I mean, if the birds were walking, and dragging the coconut...
Army: Get on with it!
Narrator: And now on to scene 24. A smashing scene with some lovely acting, in which Arthur discovers a vital clue, and in which there aren't any swallows, though I think you can hear a starling...
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 02:19:36 AM »
Skuzzy: Meanwhile, not more than two Val's flights away, Pyro and Waffle had discovered something. Oh, that's an unladen Val's flight away, obviously. There were more than two laden Val's flights away, four really, if they had the coconut on a line between them. I mean, if the birds were walking, and dragging the coconut...
Hitech: Giet on weth idt!
Skuzzy: And now on to scene 24. A smashing scene with some lovely acting, in which Arthur discovers a vital clue, and in which there aren't any Vals, though I think you can hear a Zeke...

Fixed

It takes effort to spell like Hitech...

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
They're respectable, to be sure. I'm not sure the gun is the exact same (I haven't checked) but round for round, I expect the damage to be that same level. Weaker than a .50cal US gun. ROF should be a lot lower.

The damage of the .50 caliber machine guns in AH have close enough damage values to hardly make an argument for which one is more powerful.  Like Krusty started to shed light on, the rate of fire and ballistics are going to play a larger role when comparing .50 caliber wepons.  More often, if the .50 calibers are cowl mounted they have a reduced rate of fire compared to the wing mounted platforms. 

The Ki-61 "Tony" has the 20mm cannons in the cowling and the .50 caliber MG's in the wing.  I have not checked the rate of fire but the Jap's might have been on to something.  The RoF with the 20mm is going to be slower regardless so why not put them in the cowling and let the MG's have full use of half of their typcial benefit: RoF???   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
Just as a side note I was checking ROF last night.

For the Ki61:
500 12.7mm: 17 s = ~ 882 rpm
240 20mm: 9 s = ~ 800 rpm

For the Ki84 (because its guns are in the nose, sync'd)
700 rds 12.7mm firing time: 22 s = ~ 954 rpm
300 rds 20mm firing time: 11 s = ~ 818 rpm

For the C2, because that's what I think of when I think of slow lumbering sync'd 12.7mm guns
12.7mm firing time: 35 s = ~ 634 rpm
7mm firing time: 38 s = ~ 789 rpm

For comparison I think unsync'd .50cal go 800 rpm.

EDIT: The US .50cal is 1.23x more powerful than the Breda SAFAT according to this:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/guns/guns.htm
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:57:29 PM by Krusty »

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
Oscar  :aok

Before 2012...... :noid

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »
The KI43 shot down more allied aircraft than any other type.

It also downed many b29s.

That said, what is up with the modeling of the japanese 12.7 vs the allies 50 caliber?

Does the 12.7 disappear beyond d600 while the 50 caliber from a waist gunner in a bomber hits hard enough to kill a fighter flying beside it at d1500?

Don't say lag...I flew beside him at that distance for a very long time letting it happen because I wanted to remove lag from the equation.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:19:22 AM by icepac »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
There are too many threads that cover that already. Probably should hijack this one to discuss it again.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
OK....using the search word "muzzle" seems to return those topics under search but not much more.

Back on topic.....thie ki43 is pretty important.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:53:24 AM by icepac »

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
Back to the Ki-43  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC