Author Topic: GV Automatic Transmissions  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
GV Automatic Transmissions
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »
For some reason, if you sit with engine running and shooting at someone, all of the sudden my tank will just start going and shifting through the gears, after say, 2-3 shots.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why we cant shift and select our own gears.  Planes have the ability to adjust their rpm and manifold pressure, so they are not operating as a fixed pitch propeller.  Is there any chance we can get the manual transmission back on the next patch?  The automatic transmission we have now is just not working well overall, in my opinion.  Thanks
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: GV Automatic Transmissions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:39:20 AM »
I don't GV much so I can't explain you how to do it but as far as I know you can shift gears right now.

I don't understand what is the point of having a manual transmission when all you have for it are two buttons? There is no clutch, no throttle, and you can't skip gears.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
Auto tranny - Shift W to max speed in your GV

Manual tranny - Shift W to max speed of current gear, gear select buttons
as previously included in game.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »
No, that is not what I mean.  I want the transmission to work like the old days.  Push it once for 1st gear, and speed stays same, ie full speed, not always hunting for a speed.  Push it again and it goes to second instantly and holds its speed.  Push it again and it holds 3rd gear speed constantly, etc etc.  Then back off by pushing the tranny button where there is a real neutral gear where the tank wont all of the sudden start moving forward and shifting gears like a madman.  And the transmission on hills is just not working too good either. 

Now, we got the rudder  back on our stick.  And that is great.  I dont see why we cant have our forward and backward motion back too on the joystick.

EskimoJoe, if I hit shift w mine automatically runs through all the gears, not just the top speed of the one I have selected.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
EskimoJoe, if I hit shift w mine automatically runs through all the gears, not just the top speed of the one I have selected.

I was proposing a solution.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »
The problem is probably your twist stick.  I had the same issue and had to set a little dead band in my twist stick.  Because you can use the twist to stear the tank it tries to move in that direction when it gets input.  With the automatic transmission it starts going when it recieves input to move.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Greg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »
You can do just that only better now you are able to tell your tank I want to go 14 MPH and it will stay there you can toejam W to go full speed of the tank or just hit w to speed up slowly and hold a speed any speed not just the speeds that your tranny used to give you. I have my joystick setup with Two thumb buttons one that speeds my up slowly one that reverses of slows me down. then on my hat I have Full speed and full stop. works great if I want to creep forward I can or I can quickly take off at full speed or stop.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:18:29 PM »
The new auto trans. "WORKS" but I think everyone can agree that the old manual style should be an option as well.

Let us choose which one we map please.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
i do have to say with the automatic tranny coming down hills now it seems like I'm reaching the speed of sound in less time, much faster than before with out the manual transmission i don't know if that's a good thing  :headscratch:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
I used to really like GVing.

Not any more.
Game ID: Blimey

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
I used to really like GVing.

Not any more.

Cant handle the improvements?   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
GVing is great now love it.
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:33 AM »
You can do just that only better now you are able to tell your tank I want to go 14 MPH and it will stay there you can toejam W to go full speed of the tank or just hit w to speed up slowly and hold a speed any speed not just the speeds that your tranny used to give you. I have my joystick setup with Two thumb buttons one that speeds my up slowly one that reverses of slows me down. then on my hat I have Full speed and full stop. works great if I want to creep forward I can or I can quickly take off at full speed or stop.

What Greg says.

:aok

The new auto trans. "WORKS" but I think everyone can agree that the old manual style should be an option as well.

Let us choose which one we map please.

How did you used to drive?

Shift into high gear, four to six button pushes, while pushing your stick forward?

Now, you don't need to push your stick forward. You can tap the W key, or whatever you have it mapped to, until you are going the speed you want or until you are in the gear you want to be in.

Want full speed right away? Shift + W or whatever you have it mapped to. One button.

Why do you feel the need need to shift?

The only reason I can figure people want to shift is to go into N and roll down hills.

Lets make N Park instead.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:35 AM »
Cant handle the improvements?   ;)

There are no "improvements" only changes.

Game ID: Blimey

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 01:44:35 AM »
So can someone explain me how is the old gearbox better than the new one? At new one is a head of it time but at least it's realistic, the old one was not realistic at all and you could not hold the speed you wanted.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s