Author Topic: GV Automatic Transmissions  (Read 2303 times)

Offline matt

• Silver Member
Re: GV Automatic Transmissions
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
For some reason, if you sit with engine running and shooting at someone, all of the sudden my tank will just start going and shifting through the gears, after say, 2-3 shots.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why we cant shift and select our own gears.  Planes have the ability to adjust their rpm and manifold pressure, so they are not operating as a fixed pitch propeller.  Is there any chance we can get the manual transmission back on the next patch?  The automatic transmission we have now is just not working well overall, in my opinion.  Thanks
: less chances of you killing me :aok

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:25 AM »
You know this for a fact?

Always wondered why it was called a "Torqmatic Transmission".
http://m18hellcat.com/m18hellcat/Home.html

I have had an idea vis a vis a "manual" transmission though.

I mean, what was the old "manual" transmission anyway?
You pressed a button and pushed your stick forward until you topped out and pushed a button again.

My idea is to make a "Manual" transmission option like a stall limiter or prop overspeed thingy in WWI.

You check the "manual transmission" box and, like now, press W to go forward. Unlike the "automatic", you would only accelerate until you reached the top speed in that particular gear. Then, you would need to press another button to "shift" into the next gear, press w again until you topped out in that gear and repeat.

Maybe they could also intoduce engins stalling out if you don't downshift properly as you slow down or if there is too much load on the engine due to going up hill.

You can have your "manual" transmission.    :neener:

wrongway

This.

It's exactly how I would design it if it were up to me. I personally can't stand the auto trans we have now but I don't think going back to the old way would be best. I like having the ability to choose my speed now. But consider hill climbs. As it is now you gotta fumble around with it till you find the right gear and then you have to slow WAY DOWN to get it to down shift. The accelerate back up to speed with out over accelerating and making it shift back up the the head you were just in. I hope HTC can move forward with this idea and implement it soon.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:58 AM »
For me the problem with the auto trans is the random hunting for a gear while going up a hill.  This is extremely frustrating since a tiny change in angle results in a very different speed, and coupled with the problem of not always knowing what your angle is, creates alot of guesswork. I dont think that a manual trans is worth going back to, I just wish what we had was predictable.  If it was I don't think there would be many complaints.

I'm going with the auto trans (but more predictable) because I'm taking the role of the "tank commander"  I'm not shifting, my driver is.  I dont have to push buttons to reload, that stuff just gets in the way.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
1> Lack of acceleration while turning.  If you're giving it too much steering input (if you use the rudder axis for steering) then it does not want to accelerate unless the rudder controls are fully centered.  For those with jittery pots or even if wanting to make a quick turn right after starting to roll this can be.. well annoying at best, deadly at worst.  One example is leaving the VH.  You start to roll and as soon as you hit the doorway you turn left.  You're stuck at a slow speed until you either complete the turn or decide to go straight instead.  It's almost as if Aces High is telling us "You're too stupid to navigate that turn while accelerating so I'm going to slow down for you".  I don't agree with this and if we want to flip our tanks then that should be our business and not the games.

To turn a tank you disengage one track from the transmission so that the track on the outside of the turn is the only one powered.  This may not actually cause the tank to turn; I've see a report of someone who drove a T34 that said disengaging the clutch on one track did not cause the tank to turn, it just plowed mostly straight ahead.  To get it to turn he had to brake the idle track.  So turning tanks involves braking a track, which is certainly going to slow you down.  That being said I think this is overmodeled in AH, i.e. it slows the tank too much.  I've compared videos of real T34s doing rapid turns from a standstill and they are much faster than the AH version.  Indeed the acceleration in first gear of the AH tank seems quite weak compared to the real one. 

The problem is exacerbated by the rubber band like steering of AH tanks: you must turn far beyond your desired heading because the tank turns back like it's on a rubber band.  This overturning slows you even more than if you turned a bit to the heading you wanted and the tank stayed on that heading.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 10:25:06 PM »
For me the problem with the auto trans is the random hunting for a gear while going up a hill.  This is extremely frustrating since a tiny change in angle results in a very different speed, and coupled with the problem of not always knowing what your angle is, creates alot of guesswork. I dont think that a manual trans is worth going back to, I just wish what we had was predictable.  If it was I don't think there would be many complaints.

I'm going with the auto trans (but more predictable) because I'm taking the role of the "tank commander"  I'm not shifting, my driver is.  I dont have to push buttons to reload, that stuff just gets in the way.

Tap S until it stops the "accelerate/decelerate loop".

You realise it is really nothing more than an annoying noise. You are actually going as fast as possible up hill with the vrrrrr-errrrrr-vrrrrr-errrrr, 15mph-12mph-15mph, versus just 12mph.

:joystick:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay