Author Topic: Increasing aircraft range  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Increasing aircraft range
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2011, 12:18:39 AM »
However, it is worthwhile to start your climb to the destination alt straight away, then you will benefit from lower consumption cruising to get to your target.

Typically not the case, but IYFB...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2011, 12:09:40 PM »
Typically not the case, but IYFB...

What do you mean?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
What do you mean?

Typically, you will not save more gas by climbing to your destination altitude first, and then cruising to your target at altitude.  But, Its Your Fifteen Bucks...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
every aircraft has a "best glide speed". if you're looking to maximize your glide distance, you need to know this speed, and get your prop(s) feathered ASAP after the engine quits.
 you'll go less distance if you go faster, or slower than this speed.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Typically, you will not save more gas by climbing to your destination altitude first, and then cruising to your target at altitude.  But, Its Your Fifteen Bucks...

Ah

You just need to climb reasonably high, no need to go to 30K to fly one sector but 15K to for 3 sectors sounds just fine. All you need to do is pick the right altitude for your range.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
Ah

You just need to climb reasonably high, no need to go to 30K to fly one sector but 15K to for 3 sectors sounds just fine. All you need to do is pick the right altitude for your range.

Ever wonder why Lindbergh flew 33 hours over the Atlantic just above the water?  Why didn't he climb to 20,000 feet first?

HiTech

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »
Ever wonder why Lindbergh flew 33 hours over the Atlantic just above the water?  Why didn't he climb to 20,000 feet first?

Actually this is the first time I hear this, how low did he fly?
His engine was not turbocharged and it did not do well above 10K. The cloud cover could have forced him down as well.

Also perhaps he made a wrong decision, aviation was pretty new at the time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:26:10 PM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »
Ever wonder why Lindbergh flew 33 hours over the Atlantic just above the water?  Why didn't he climb to 20,000 feet first?

It greatly depends on the aircraft.  Ever wonder why a modern passenger jet typically flies at 35k or so?

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
No, I know the answer to the question I asked.  Do a search for articles by a guy named Peter Garrison, and look for his articles about maximizing range.  I don't have a link, but he's a contributor for Flying magazine.

HiTech

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »
It greatly depends on the aircraft.  Ever wonder why a modern passenger jet typically flies at 35k or so?

Jets perform very differently from piston engines. 
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
No, I know the answer to the question I asked.  Do a search for articles by a guy named Peter Garrison, and look for his articles about maximizing range.  I don't have a link, but he's a contributor for Flying magazine.

I found a book, can't find any articles. Perhaps you could post a link when you get a chance.

I'm not sure if I understand what your trying to prove. Are you saying that it's best to fly 2ft of the ground?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:30:33 PM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »

Because his underpowered aircraft couldn't.

The main reason he stayed low was for visibility.

Higher is better for range.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"