Author Topic: 63% drop in GV kills tour 135 to 136  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
63% drop in GV kills tour 135 to 136
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:49:52 AM »
As a grumpy 56 year old AH'er with the reactions of a brick and the eyesight of a bat I used to get most of my AH fun gv'ing. OK the zoom sights are not realistic, but neither is a lot of stuff in this game, its meant to be fun not a job. I have one of those for 10 hours a day thanks.

Anyway, seems I'm not the only one. OK it's early days, but the stats tell me a lot of people don't like the new set up and I wonder how many of the old gits like me have left, there's quite a few of the haggard old GVers I havent seen a round for a while. I have done 14 hours this tour, thats about 1/2 normal, I'm having trouble having the enthusiasm to log on, and I'm not the only one it seems.

63% drop in GV kills! - tells me HTC have got this one wrong.

Fanbois flame away.

Game ID: Blimey

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
Re: 63% drop in GV kills tour 135 to 136
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:58:23 AM »
As a grumpy 56 year old AH'er with the reactions of a brick and the eyesight of a bat I used to get most of my AH fun gv'ing. OK the zoom sights are not realistic, but neither is a lot of stuff in this game, its meant to be fun not a job. I have one of those for 10 hours a day thanks.

Anyway, seems I'm not the only one. OK it's early days, but the stats tell me a lot of people don't like the new set up and I wonder how many of the old gits like me have left, there's quite a few of the haggard old GVers I havent seen a round for a while. I have done 14 hours this tour, thats about 1/2 normal, I'm having trouble having the enthusiasm to log on, and I'm not the only one it seems.

Fanbois flame away.

(Image removed from quote.)

i digress.   +1 to what snailman says.   listen to him, the man has charts.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:20:04 AM by IrishOne »
-AoM-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:03:25 AM »

Fanbois flame away.

(Image removed from quote.)

There is a drop, but it's not by 63%. You are basing your computation on the wrong numbers.
First, tour 135 was about one week longer than usual (And we are only at day 10 in the current one) Second, there were a lot more kills per day during tour 135 for every object, i.e. more players did spend more hours playing the game. So you can't simply take raw absolute GV kill+deaths for this tour and just multiply them by two. (Last tour had about ~479K kills total, current tour will end up most likely with around 300K)

You should look for how big the percentage  share tanks have on all kills of deaths for a given frame of time. So how much usage did tanks see in comparison to everything else?

If you do that for all tanks, you will end up with tanks having 23% of all kills+deaths for tour 135, and 17% for the current tour. Thats a reduction by only 26%. :)

Now for the interpretation:
Giving the numbers not even two weeks for making a judgment is way too short. The change was big, so you will give it much more time to settle down. People have to get used to new stuff first, and that usually takes 1-2 full tours. That has been shown with most major changes in the past. And with only  two weeks in the current tour there may be even a substantial impact of the terrains being used during that time.

And if you really want some detailed number on actual GV usage, you can wait for the end of this tour, when I can tell you not only the numbers based on kills & deaths, but also will be able to tell you how much hours the AH players did spend in vehicles compared to other tours
  :old:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:23:33 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:19:07 AM »
what lusche said and take into account that maps have a big impact on GVing, 

it is nearing summer and people sometimes go outdoors too.   America has been hit by storms all over, the Mississippi is going to flood alert, I wonder how many redneck, GVer's are filling their sand bags.

old timers are usually grumpy and reluctant to adapt to change.  with the rudder control for steering back that has helped me.  I just wish we could have the manual control for the gears.  Or if possible use my toe break to slow the tank automatically through the gears.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »

Well young man, as an old 'un I likewise play in AH for fun. As for GV's, I do some GVing but probably not as much as you. However with the changes I stopped GVing for a while because simply the changes needed my attention. I needed to learn what does what and re-map controls etc. but I am getting there. In the meantime, my GVing aspect of the game is taking a hit from my reduced usage, but not because I don't like the new set up - I would have to do a poll to find that out and only after they have had time to get used to the change. My lack of usage is nothing more than a reluctance to using my fun time to learn something new - But I am certain I will get back into it albeit slowly.

I really think you have to give it a lot more time to let people get used to it - Good heavens there are no help sheets or guides for the changes as yet! - They need to be done and boldly advertised when you enter an arena - that way more people will start to use the changes.

After a little bash in the MA last night I can say that for the first time I felt reasonably comfortable in a tank with the new controls, better still, I prefer them already despite my inital reluctance. OK I didn't hit anyone, not a lot of change there, but I enjoyed the whole "feel" of it. I don't feel qualified to say if it's better or worse but it is most certainly different.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
Fair enough Lusche, I cant argue with your stats, all I know is it's not the fun it was for me, even though my gv k/d is 3:1 this tour, but thats with adapting tactics which I don't enjoy.

Offline opposum

• Probation
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »
I agree Wobbly, GV'ing was my thing, I loved the tanking on this game more than anything. LOL I think last time I checked I had something like 17,500 GV perks. Since the change I have lost all intrest in tanking. When I feel like tanking now, I will log off aces high and go play World of Tanks because it is more appealing. Hitech has definitely put the "High" back in Aces High now because I, along with many others, have no more gumption to GV anymore.

opposum

/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »

You should look for how big the percentage  share tanks have on all kills of deaths for a given frame of time. So how much usage did tanks see in comparison to everything else?

Lusche, doesnt that assume that the same people GV and fly in equal measure? What about the people only GV, like say Regolith on the Bish side (16 hours this tour, 102 last tour.....)

Opposum, will check out WOT.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
I usually spend more of my time GVing than flying each tour and I agree that it's different now.  Not neccessarily better or worse just different.  It's taking me some time to adjust. 

I was on last night and noticed how much worse my directional control while driving is using the keyboard rather than my joystick.  I always have my clipboard up while I'm playing.  Last night it took me ten minutes to figure out why I couldn't use my mouse to adjust my sights.

If I could just map all these new things wherever I wanted (keyboard, mouse, joystick) that would help a lot.

The bigger problem for me last night was 3 kills in a Tiger, disco, 4 kills in a Tiger, disco.  I gave up after that.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »
I agree Wobbly, GV'ing was my thing, I loved the tanking on this game more than anything. LOL I think last time I checked I had something like 17,500 GV perks. Since the change I have lost all intrest in tanking. When I feel like tanking now, I will log off aces high and go play World of Tanks because it is more appealing. Hitech has definitely put the "High" back in Aces High now because I, along with many others, have no more gumption to GV anymore.

opposum

Just curious. Could you expand on what you don't like about the new system? It's my understanding that the new system is more similar to WOT than the old system.

Personally, I'm loving the historical sights, the ability to start, stop, and steer from any position (even though it's kind of gamey), the auto transmission, just hit F and not worry about having to down shift for a hill, and the ability to pivot in place in the Tiger and Panther.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
Not neccessarily better or worse just different.  It's taking me some time to adjust. 
Are you crazy?  the GV game in AH is  x1000 better.  It used to be an embarrasingly cheap version of an 1980s quarter per play arcade game.  Now it is difficult and challenging.  Love it.

Bottom line: The people that cant hack the upgrade will move on to other pursuits, and the new people that come online will not be spoiled on a cheap easy arcade tank game.  The next generation of AH players will START with a much better tank combat sim than the last generation did.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
Wow  i was gone all this time!  did not know I kill that big of a % of tanks in this game!   I will try harder!!! :aok
Flying since tour 71.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
Understandable that this tour has 63% less.

It's because this tour is only 37% complete as compared to the length of the last tour.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
Lusche, doesnt that assume that the same people GV and fly in equal measure? What about the people only GV, like say Regolith on the Bish side (16 hours this tour, 102 last tour.....)

No, it doesn't assume anything. It's a very rational assessment of what is happening in the arena as a whole. It's about all players. You can't single out any player to prove or disprove a point, as there will always be players that stop doing a certain thing while others start it. I know many players that hopped into tanks  just because of the changes. You have to look at the total numbers.

So when the AH players stop using tanks (or at least significantly reduce their playtime in them) the share of tank kills+deaths in total kills+deaths will change accordingly. Even more precise is a look at the time spent in the various modes, like this for example:

This chart shows the actual distribution of playing time by all the "active" players in a given tour. And a few days after this current tour is over, I can tell you how much the numbers did change. And even then it's still a bit early to judge the total impact of the changes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:31:56 PM by Lusche »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
Understandable that this tour has 63% less.

It's because this tour is only 37% complete as compared to the length of the last tour.

And we have to keep in mind that the current tour will end up with like ~300,000 kills total, whereas the previous had ~479,000. That's an almost 40% reduction in everything ;)

If one does such a comparison, he has compare different data to the same base :)