Author Topic: Playstation network.  (Read 3690 times)

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Playstation network.
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
Ps3 is confirmed and proven to have better graphics, and sharper and cleaner imaging. 

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
does the PS3 have interchangable covers?
does the PS3 have the ability to plug in MP3's/ipods?
does the PS3 have netflix?

#1 - dont care about face covers. Its fine the way it is
#2 - If I want to use an MP3 through a device, I will plug it into the stereo using a RCA/headphone pigtail
#3 - I have no use for netflix, I wait until it comes on tv for free
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline TheMany

• Zinc Member
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
I enjoyed making people mad when I was host in hardcore search and destroy to pull out my rocket launcher and kill 2-4 of them at each time we spawned! In world at war  :rofl

Noob
"consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number"

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
nintendo 64 FTW!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
nintendo 64 FTW!
:rofl

and skuzzy saves the day  :rock
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
Ah, too late  :cry
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2011, 02:01:45 AM »
You could also hook your XBox up to network with your computer, directly transfer it to your XBox's hard drive over the network, but you could also just hook your TV up to your computer and just play it from your computer.  This also obsoletes PS3's need too, you can play higher-defintion media straigth from your computer to your TV without any need for a console (or did Sony not tell you guys this stuff like XBox and Microsoft does?  because either way to Microsoft in those cases, you're likely to be using one of their products to get you your greatest viewing pleasure.  all you'll hear from Sony is "just use ours, ours is better, don't think about the alternatives, there is none to our exclusively patented product, just use ours, ours is better,")

My PS3 streams from my media server and is able to access all shared media on my home network, I can also transfer media to the console if I really wanted to.

As for skuzzy's issues with Netflix, I can't say that I have any of those issues.  Have you talked to a networking guru to resolve any issues you may have?  :D  :bolt:

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2011, 03:08:57 AM »
Since Sony is more interested in keeping their patented player exclusive to their own console and brands, or licensing it to those that aren't a threat to them, rather than opening it up to be marketed and utilized as an additional accessory for use by everyone in a very large and established console market (ego before profit?)...  take a USB memory stick, transfer the media from your computer to it, take the stick and plug it into your XBox and play it. 

You could also hook your XBox up to network with your computer, directly transfer it to your XBox's hard drive over the network, but you could also just hook your TV up to your computer and just play it from your computer.  This also obsoletes PS3's need too, you can play higher-defintion media straigth from your computer to your TV without any need for a console (or did Sony not tell you guys this stuff like XBox and Microsoft does?  because either way to Microsoft in those cases, you're likely to be using one of their products to get you your greatest viewing pleasure.  all you'll hear from Sony is "just use ours, ours is better, don't think about the alternatives, there is none to our exclusively patented product, just use ours, ours is better,")
from the way you make it sound, you'd need an
-xbox 360

-some mildly expensive cords.

-a high definition computer.

-good looking tv.

to get the same graphical quality a ps3 has. mkay.

or i could just

-buy a ps3

-supercharge it to 500gb(same that my computer is holding)

-hook it up to my hp2310m monitor.

-still gets better graphics than xbox.

im waiting on the major PC gamer guy to come in here and say "well PC has better graphics than both!"  :noid

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:37 AM »
I cannot see interchangeable faceplates being a purchase decision for me.  My PS3 is behind a wall in a media closet.  No one can see it, or hear it.

I have an external USB hub exposed so I can plug in any dongles a game might need.  I also replaced the stock HD with a 500GB hard drive.

Netflix is available, but I never use it.  The video and audio quality are too poor.

If i have to, I can play a BluRay so it keeps me from having to have another device in my media cabinet.

I really do not know much about the XBox. I just do what I can to avoid buying anything made by Microsoft as they are already a big enough monopoly as it is.
hey skuzzy, you might be the wrong person to ask this, but what do you think the chances are of hitech bringing AH to the consoles?

maybe make a download to where we can access the AH world on our ps3s it would be nice.

the Ps3 is capable of hosting allmost 300 ppl in 1 game match (MAG is evidence of this).

last summer, i was able to download AH onto my ps3, it showed up in my game folder as the AH symbol, but when i clicked it, it read

"file size too big to open"

would love to some day be able to fly the skies on my ps3/ps4.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37:04 AM »
I never intended to play the game online.  I will  never play an online game on a console.  I have seen what that looks like and I will not have anything to do with it.  Disrespectful bunch of jerks is all it seems is online.

I am enjoying the offline franchise mode, at the moment.  I have kicked up the level high enough it is a refreshing challenge.  At least the AI will not terminate a game when they are loosing.

It's amazing how people behave when they can hide behind anonymity. For this reason I like iRacing's way of doing things. Every member has their full name, country and the state they live in displayed for everyone else to see.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:39:20 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline TheMany

• Zinc Member
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
It's amazing how people behave when they can hide behind anonymity. For this reason I like iRacing's way of doing things. Every member has their full name, country and the state they live in displayed for everyone else to see.

YEAH!!
"consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number"

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:41 AM »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:08 AM »
Hmm, okay, where to start?

Let's talk about the poor quality of Netflix video stream.  At its best setting, for native HD content, Netflix will stream about 4.8Kbp/s.  The native BluRay HD video stream can run up to 40Mbp/s.  Realistically, it rarely exceeds 28Mb/s.

Now, to be fair.  If you have a standard definition television (480i), you will never be able to see the differences between HD content and regular analog content.  If you have large screen HD television, which will support 1080p, then you can ("can" being the operative word) see a huge difference in the quality between a Netflix stream and the native HD stream from a BluRay player.

As to the resolutions.
Standard DVD: 480p (most DVD players only do 480i, data stream up to 24Kb/s)
Line doubled DVD: 720p (depends on the doubler, it also might be 720i, data stream up to 24Kb/s)
Native HD content: 1080p (data stream up to 40Mb/s)

Those are lines of resolution.  Netflix best data stream is far less than half the bandwidth of standard DVD.  Even a good line doubling DVD player will look better, with regular content, over the Netflix HD stream, if you have a really good HD television.  While the native stream of a good BluRay player is about 200 times faster than the stream from Netflix.

What difference does the stream rate make?  Ok, in any MPEG compression scheme the data rate dictates how lossy the data stream will be.  The slower the rate, the more information is thrown away.  What Netflix is counting on is you do not have a native version of the content they are streaming to you.  And/or you do not have a high quality television (most people do not).

Now, MPEG4 (H.264), for BluRay, is a better compressor than the MPEG2 (DVD content) is and does a better job of removing artifacts from the content stream.  This is also what Netflix counts on.  Fewer artifacts translates to a perception of good quality video.  This just means they can get away with a highly reduced data stream for native HD content with most people being content with it.

Native HD content, via BluRay, is very difficult to decode and display.  Just because a television claims it can do 1080p, does not mean you will actually be able to get the best visual experience available.

Bottomline is this.  If you are not willing to purchase a really high quality HD television, then there really is no need to go BluRay at all.  However, if you do go the high end route, BluRay content is so sharp and clear you almost feel like you can stick your hand into the scene.  It is truly impressive.

Personally, I hope BluRay dies a violent and sudden death.  The licensing fees are absolutely rediculous and amounts to nothing but greed run amok, which forces the price of the content to stupid heights.

Whether you like Netflix, or not, the quality cannot help but be worse than the native data stream from any high quality, local hardware.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:38:55 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com