Author Topic: to go back and fight  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Re: to go back and fight
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
lol Slapshot.

My thought too. I could have passed  on the topic but Thunderdunce
posts are like car wrecks and I couldn't help but check out the latest
one. And it's tops for sure.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
i guess this just shows how many people are willing to fight for their country.
:lol  well, well, well...thunderturd strikes again...coming from someone who has never had to wear a uniform, never been under fire from an enemy, never had to fire a shot to survive, never had to bodybag someone you knew...that has to be at the top of your list of stupid things to say. you haven't fought for your lunch, much less your country, what in the world do you know about patriotism?

i think i understand...you're one of those saturday morning anime glory hounds who would be the first to fold up like a cheap lawn chair under the first signs of heavy fire and then good men would die trying to save your silly butt instead of letting you catch the bullets...people with your mentality have 2 things to look forward to...a bodybag and a useless medal.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »

Next turn of the wheel I hope to be driving a ship that'll outpace light....

Here's one for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

See Rule #4

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »
I've always had the desire to go back in WW2 as a marine and fight in the war.To me WW2 is when the world started to get "modernized".Germans started building rockets witch could be fired from miles away and hit a city(not always accurate,the V-1 and V-2).The U.S of A developed a nuclear bomb and dropped 2 on Japan.Germany was the first to devlop a jet fighter and use it in combat.Many more great achiements for man followed this era.Im sure everyone knows all of that stuff.

So I was gonna put it out there and ask,would you go back in time?would you fight in the war?witch theater?as a grunt or as a pilot?.

sadly enough,there will never be a "time machine" for any of us to do this.
have fun with this thread

Only an idiot would be wishing to experience something like that.  It is not a game you know.  Out of all the things in life, you are sad because you cannot experience war?  :noid

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
Fighter pilot in WWII? I'm guessing I've been there, done that.

Next turn of the wheel I hope to be driving a ship that'll outpace light....

:rolleyes:
Or you could come back as the cat that gets caught in the neighbor's fan belt as he starts his car.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline YGSM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
Going by your handle YGSM... Was your father a Wild Weasel?

It was supposed to be YGBSM....I was drunk when I signed on....DOH!!!   

Yes, Two tours.....He flew the single seat Weasel (I believe it was the F model) his first tour and flew the G (two seat) in his second tour.
The only HO I have every attempted was with a French potato named Miss Francine.  Otherwise I stay away from the HO it makes me very nervous having 20 and 30mm shells whipping by my canopy.

WD Cameron...Army Air Corp  P47d-11 and D-40 France Italy and Germany.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
 I suggest you try a turn at a ground crew for bomber command!   Boy the fun you'd have mopping out those planes that make it back!

Maybe the crusades would make for an entertaining war?  Then you could fight for more than just your country.

To those that served! :salute

:salute

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
It was supposed to be YGBSM....I was drunk when I signed on....DOH!!!   

Yes, Two tours.....He flew the single seat Weasel (I believe it was the F model) his first tour and flew the G (two seat) in his second tour.

Wow very impressive, you must be very proud of him.
If you havent read these already pick up "When Thunder Rolled" and "Palace Cobra" both by Ed Rasimus.
Very good books on the F-105 and USAF F-4 units during the war. A lot of Weasel stuff in them as well.
BTW, I knew you were missing the B and thought maybe the name had been taken already.  :)

<S>

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline YGSM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
i guess this just shows how many people are willing to fight for their country.

Let me tell you something Son.  I would in a heart beat fight for my country if called upon because it is everyones duty if able to fight for their country.  Do I want to go leave my children and wife alone while a take human life?  Hell no!  And anyone says they would enjoying it is sick and needs psychological help.  My family went and fought so guys like you could have the right to speak your minds about wanting to go back and fight a war.  Your response comment was stupid and immature and you sir need your frontal lobes checked because I dont think they are working to well.  

from the Desk of one Pissed off JUGMAN

Btw This was edited from about 3 paragraphs     :mad:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:30:20 PM by YGSM »
The only HO I have every attempted was with a French potato named Miss Francine.  Otherwise I stay away from the HO it makes me very nervous having 20 and 30mm shells whipping by my canopy.

Offline YGSM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Wow very impressive, you must be very proud of him.
If you havent read these already pick up "When Thunder Rolled" and "Palace Cobra" both by Ed Rasimus.
Very good books on the F-105 and USAF F-4 units during the war. A lot of Weasel stuff in them as well.
BTW, I knew you were missing the B and thought maybe the name had been taken already.  :)

<S>

I just started reading his journals that I found locked away.  It has stayed locked and out of mind for 10 years but I didnt have the heart to read them.  Six years of journal entries will take me a long time to go through.  I read "When Thunder Rolled" a few years ago and loved the book.  I dont know if my father new Raz but the community was small so it is very possible.  I want to know what he encountered so I can understand some of his later actions.  He was a hard man that I didnt get along with as a young man.  In 2000 we re-connected but he passed on in 2001. 

I am also researching a MIA story of Clive Jeffs.  This story is very interesting and will need a new thread to explain.  Lots of conflicting information that I have not found answers that make sense. 

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
If you enjoyed When the Thunder Rolled I highly recommend Palace Cobra as well. It's about his second tour where his F4 unit is teamed up with F-105 WWs.
i'm going to do a search Clive Jeffs over the weekend, Thanks for mentioning it.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »

So I was gonna put it out there and ask,would you go back in time?would you fight in the war?witch theater?as a grunt or as a pilot?.

sadly enough,there will never be a "time machine" for any of us to do this.
have fun with this thread

43 years ago I left Vietnam, I thought I got away unscathed and no syndromes but sometimes they remain hidden for years. Two weeks ago I was going over some old notes and photos with my wife and talking about what and where they were. I spent a lot of time in different med evac hospitals 24th 12th etc. As I was talking to my wife telling about all the wounded men that were there I was suddenly just overwhelmed with emotion and the tears just started flowing as I remembered what I seen heard and experienced in Vietnam.
That was the first time I had felt any emotion about the war since leaving there. War is HELL and to wish to go back to any war unnecessarily is really stupid.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
I love how everyone on this forum takes everything so damned serious and to the furthest extreme possible.  I knew the second I seen your post what would be said lol spec sad.
Was just a fun what-if question. People need to not take themselves so freaking serious. Geees

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
I love how everyone on this forum takes everything so damned serious and to the furthest extreme possible.  I knew the second I seen your post what would be said lol spec sad.
Was just a fun what-if question. People need to not take themselves so freaking serious. Geees
so you think it's something that warrants a "what if" kinda humorous saturday afternoon iced tea on the patio whimsical conversation piece? no offense but...that's like talking about the football game you just watched and griping about the players when you have no idea what it's like to be on the field.

put yourself on the battlefield then come back and tell us how you would love to go back and what heroic acts you would perform.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
OP likely has some game/Hollywood driven fantasies about what it would be like.  That he'd be skilled and thus be the fine, young hero.

How does being you stop an AA round from taking your wing off.  How does being you stop your fighter from folding its wings on pullout because the bomb hung up?  About watching the skin peel off of your aircraft's wings on a training flight because the skin wasn't attached correctly?

As to the moronic claim that not wanting to go back to that hell that was fought and won meaning we don't care to defend our nation or principals, that is simply absurd.  That war was fought and won and were somebody able to toss themselves back into it there is no telling the changes that would be wrought.  It is easy to assume the changes would be good, but small changes avalanche into big changes who's final outcome is entirely unpredictable.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-