Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 91354 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »
I believe the 199 quid is for them to copy the file and supply it to you direct. Retrieving the original hardcopy in Kew is free, one should be able to photograph it oneself, though don't take that as gospel, it's been years since I was there. There should be details about making one's own copies / photos on the TNA website.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
You might be right about reading it. I'm not sure about photographing it. I'd go and see but I'm a long way from Kew at the moment. Anyone nearby?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2011, 04:31:22 AM »

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2011, 05:06:52 AM »
I have also managed to find some detailed design DWGs (dated 1938-1939)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2011, 05:13:26 AM »

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2011, 06:02:16 AM »
You can photograph the documents, theres a reference to switching off flash in the do's and dont's of visiting and looking at the archives. Is there a charge for physically fetching the document for you? I couldn't see anything referring to one.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2011, 07:10:11 AM »
Thanks for contributing those resources Fish42, especially the paint scheme pictures. Reserve me one of the skins with the black and white wings please. Actually they are all nice  :banana:

You can photograph the documents, theres a reference to switching off flash in the do's and dont's of visiting and looking at the archives. Is there a charge for physically fetching the document for you? I couldn't see anything referring to one.

We need a brave volunteer to take one for the team. Who lives closest to Kew? I won't be in England until next summer.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
Does anyone live in London? Speakup!

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
100+ delivered flew for almost 4 years from 1939-1943, mostly ground attack  :aok

Just for fun comparisons  F4U-1C, 200 delivered 1943-1944 almost exclusively ground attack

P47M 130 delivered late 1944, many many problems with this model initially, 15 confirmed air to air victories

B-239 Brewster, 44 delivered- 400+ kills vs very inexperienced and very poorly led Russian aircraft

Less than 100 ME163s were delivered

From the info I can't find it seems the spitfire mk16 was delivered in very low #s by the end of the war, I also believe "the lions share" was relegated to ground attack  <-- I could be wrong here. Info on the mk16 is very hard to find.  for me anyhow

Numbers on the TA152 are quite low I'm sure

Anyhow out of all these rides the Westland Whirlwind served much longer and arguably impacted WW2 more than any of the above

Soooooooooooooo lets have it  :aok

:cheers:

JUGgler

:devil

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
I live SW of Guildford, but would be prepared to take a day off and obtain stuff from Kew if it's for AH.  :salute
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
Martyn you are a Starburger!
nrshida probably knows most about the file and getting it. I think we could share your costs so you won't be too much out of pocket.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
I would consider it a fun job. Happy to pay for the travelling myself. Someone email me with details (e.g. Name of document needed, format(s), where to go, who to see and/or website info etc.). I can't do much until the New Year (Jan) but it shouldn't be a problem.

I might even get the files for the Wellington, Halifax, Sunderland, Defiant, Swordfish if needed ... ?

Or how about the uber killing machine, the Fairey Battle! (... or rather the uber killed machine ... :)
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
I would consider it a fun job. Happy to pay for the travelling myself. Someone email me with details (e.g. Name of document needed, format(s), where to go, who to see and/or website info etc.). I can't do much until the New Year (Jan) but it shouldn't be a problem.

I might even get the files for the Wellington, Halifax, Sunderland, Defiant, Swordfish if needed ... ?

Or how about the uber killing machine, the Fairey Battle! (... or rather the uber killed machine ... :)

Forgetting the Hampden!!!!!!  :old:
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
I would consider it a fun job.

:banana: :banana: :rock

Martyn, the document we are after is called:-

AVIA 18/691, "Whirlwind aircraft: performance and handling trials".

Here is the URL pertaining to this document:-

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=5007594

The document resides in Kew, at the National Archive. Might be worth checking before you make the trip if they charge you to fetch it. In any case you need to make an appointment with the document so it can be there on the day you are, as they don't do a 'while you wait' service.

Its legal status is 'Public Record' so in theory you have the right to view it. I have no idea about your rights regarding copying it.

There's an Aces High medal in it for you sir, if you pull off the mission successfully.

This thread will now self destruct

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
As per your request, I have requested a notification of a request to notify me to see an email with the notification of the request which will reveal the estimate and explanation as to how to request the digital copying of the data.

Now tell me how one can tell this system was designed by a civil servant...

It'll be images, probably black and white TIFF, maybe inside a PDF (I'm not sure). If there's lots of text and if it is in this format, then I have access to OCR software (it came free with MS Office 2003, but few people realise that).

Anyway, short summary: OTW

Martyn
Out

(dum dum, da da daaa, dum dum, doo doo doo, dum dum, da da daa, tiddle dee, tiddle doo, yah-dah)