Author Topic: new weather warning device is needed badly.  (Read 2208 times)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
Re: new weather warning device is needed badly.
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
As stated earlier get youself a NOAA weather radio and program in your county and make sure you keep it backed up with fresh batteries (at least every 6 months.)

We have NO weather sirens in this county.  In a neighboring county it was so expensive to update their siren system that they bought a NOAA weather alert radio for every county resident who asked for one (one per household).

If you are a ham radio operator like myself your VHF rig will most likely have the NOAA 160-mHz band and you can simply program in all the local and area NOAA stations (I can pick up 6 from my location) and put them into the memory and then simply pull it up when bad weather arrives--however this should not be your primary alert...a NOAA weather radio should be.

Being prepared for bad weather and being alerted about it are YOUR own personal responsability!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:47:02 PM by ROX »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »
Conclusion:

If you are asleep, don;t reside under a siren, can't hear very well (getting old is your fault, not ours) or did not prepare to the posters standards, you deserve to die.  Having an alarm at home like a smoke detector that could wake you up is out of the question.  It would damage the world in so many ways that the Rapture would be just another Saturday  :lol

Funny thing is, someone will become a millionaire by taking this idea and implementing it while you guys tell him how stupid he is :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
I'm just curious why its everyone elses responsibility to make sure your safe, when there are many proactive things you could be doing to protect yourself.

You have identified the problem...........you have been given solutions to the problem............Beyond these two things the balls in your court.

There have been leaps and bounds in the science of forecasting Tornados, but nothings perfect. Arm yourself with as much as you can if its a concern of yours. But its "your concern" ie your responsibility.

Oh and FYI Lightning rods dont mean much......their better than nothing, but i see houses with lightning rods burn to the ground on a routine basis, as a direct result of lightning strikes. (I'm a large loss property adjuster ($250k to $1mill.) for an insurance co by profession) I see dozens of these a year.

Sorry to hear of your friends loss.

You wrote:
problem 1: have every house installed with a kind of mini alarm (similer  to say, a smoke alarm) that when sent the signal, will warn the residents of watches/warnings. could be installed on the wall similier to how house alarms are, and give off the right sound in the house for what the weather is. therefore people dont have to worry about not hearing the town siren, because they have it in there houses.

This isnt a half bad idea btw, expecially in tornado prone areas. Hard wired with a battery backup, problem is i think the weather radio solves the issue.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:17:31 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »
I'm pulling a 53 foot trailer easy to roll over by 40 mph wind through weather all time. Years ago i used to drive like blind through weather, but over the past 3-4 years the internet access is getting better and better; i can stay connected while driving 70mph along most interstate highways and keep my eyes on NOAA;
For example: Look at doppler  bellow, if i would be now around  Oklahoma City, i would park and run like a rabbit:)
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=tlx

Offline YGSM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »
Well sir I would give you some great advice but one thing is for sure.....

1.  GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!!!!

2.  TAKE YOUR SAFETY AND SECURITY IN YOUR OWN HANDS.  THE GOVERNMANT IS NOT GOING TO SAVE EVERYONE.  NOR IS IT DESIGNED TO.  

3.  DIG A HOLE AND BURY YOURSELF IN IT SO YOU MIGHT BE SAFE AND SOUND SO NO ONE CAN HURT YOU!

4.  Sorry for the shouting......Your TV was too loud.
The only HO I have every attempted was with a French potato named Miss Francine.  Otherwise I stay away from the HO it makes me very nervous having 20 and 30mm shells whipping by my canopy.

WD Cameron...Army Air Corp  P47d-11 and D-40 France Italy and Germany.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
Conclusion:

If you are asleep, don;t reside under a siren, can't hear very well (getting old is your fault, not ours) or did not prepare to the posters standards, you deserve to die.  Having an alarm at home like a smoke detector that could wake you up is out of the question.  It would damage the world in so many ways that the Rapture would be just another Saturday  :lol

Funny thing is, someone will become a millionaire by taking this idea and implementing it while you guys tell him how stupid he is :lol

You're correct!  You getting old and not being able to hear the siren *IS* your fault and not mine.  Granted I don't think that you deserve to die, but you have to give people more credit.  People suffering from hearing loss already know they they are suffering from hearing loss and will (hopefully) already be taking the necessary actions as a result.  If not, then I have a real hard time feeling sorry for them.

Having an alarm like a smoke detector is not the problem.. the problem is with being FORCED to have an alarm like a smoke detector.

We're not saying the guy is stupid... we're just saying that he's not proposing anything that doesn't already exist.  The only difference is that what he proposes would be required, whereas what already exists is optional.  Since monthly (and sometimes bi-weekly) tests are already run on the alarms, then those of us in tornado-prone areas should already know how close the the siren we are and how well we can hear it.  If we don't, then it IS OUR FAULT for not taking the necessary precautions to compensate for a siren that is barely audible.

Also the sirens are hardly reliable.  Yes they will warn us if a tornado warning is present in our general area, but it tells us nothing of any tornadoes that are actually on the ground.  Because of this, only a small fraction of people will take shelter in a basement or closet just because the sirens go off.  No they will instead turn on the TV or weather Radio to determine the extent of danger and then take shelter if necessary.  Personally, I almost always have the TV on long before I hear the the sirens.

Here's the way I see it... my house was built in the early 70's.  My last house was built in the 30's.  I know other houses in the area well over 100 years old.  It's hard to imagine that these houses have survived ALL THOSE YEARS without getting destroyed by a tornado!  WOW!  How rare is that?  Seriously even in the worst area of the country chances of actually getting hit by a tornado is very small.  I feel the systems already in place are better than 'adequate' as a public service.  The OP was complaining that a lot of people died as a result of the siren system being ineffective but my opinion is the exact opposite.  I feel the systems already in place SAVED MANY, MANY LIVES!

That's the beauty of things over here.  If you want to live your life being paranoid about being killed by a tornado then by all means go invest in a bunch of alarms and various weather equipment so that you can go hide in your cave every time you see a raindrop... but don't put that responsibility into the tax payers' hands.

Yes I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it gets my point across.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »

Having an alarm like a smoke detector is not the problem.. the problem is with being FORCED to have an alarm like a smoke detector.

Not sure why this is a problem? If the cost is kept down, to say the cost of a hard wired smoke detector (under $100) and they are done in new construction homes as part of the building code, in the scheme of things, it seems fairly minor, and im sure new home buyers, in tornado prone areas,  would like an option such as this.

I can tell you that my company did a study on homes in PA where hard wired smoke detectors are required under the PA building codes (new construction), and found that fire related deaths dropped in these homes. This was found to be a direct result of the hard wired smoke detectors. Plus, the $$$ of the losses went down as the fire was identified quickly, and people were able to get the FD on scene quicker therefore minimizing the damages. Heck, some Ins Co's even offer discounts on the policy if your home has hard wired detectors.

Now requiring you to go out and retrofit your existing home with hard wired detectors does not make any sence with the availability of good ceiling mounted, battery powered smoke detectors. But... should you suffer a loss (large fire) you are required (in PA) to put in the hard wired detectors as part of the rebuild. (all covered by your Insurance policy if you have code upgrades coverage)

New construction, and in a tornado prone area, I think (if they were available) that they absolutely should be required under the bldg code.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:47:00 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
Not sure why this is a problem? If the cost is kept down, to say the cost of a hard wired smoke detector (under $100) and they are done in new construction homes as part of the building code, in the scheme of things, it seems fairly minor, and im sure new home buyers, in tornado prone areas,  would like an option such as this.

This issue was the "mandatory" aspect of it.  Even in your reply, you specified making it optional.

Now there is a difference between smoke detectors and tornado alarms; fires can be controlled and extinguished, tornadoes can't (yet...).  But, I see the point you're making.  However, as we've covered, a NOAA weather radio is basically the same thing.  There really isn't a huge advantage to hard-wiring it (IMO) because there is very often a loss of power associated with a tornado.

EDIT:  btw, I hope someone tells me if something is going to happen tonight.  :noid

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:30:00 PM by Jayhawk »
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
This issue was the "mandatory" aspect of it.  Even in your reply, you specified making it optional.

Now there is a difference between smoke detectors and tornado alarms; fires can be controlled and extinguished, tornadoes can't (yet...).  But, I see the point you're making.  However, as we've covered, a NOAA weather radio is basically the same thing.  There really isn't a huge advantage to hard-wiring it (IMO) because there is very often a loss of power associated with a tornado.

EDIT:  btw, I hope someone tells me if something is going to happen tonight.  :noid

(Image removed from quote.)

I didnt make it optional.....I said make it part of the building code......"option" was used as a sales point referring to the buyer of the new home.....not as something that "could" be added if they wish....making it an inclusion in the building code would nullify this.

I also said hardwired with a battery back up. Similar to some hardwired smoke detectors.

This isnt a half bad idea btw, especially in tornado prone areas. Hard wired with a battery backup
Regarding not extinguishing the tornado.....it was meant as a metaphor relating to the early warning and helping in the prevention of loss of life.......ie like the smoke detector giving early warning to the ppl in the home, and helping prevent loss of life.

I still believe if this farcical item was made, that it should be a mandated in new construction in areas that are tornado prone.

<Edit> Not arguing with ya, just trying to foster discussion,on a topic that i feel is really interesting. Ive spent alot of time sifting thru the remains of peoples lives caused by natural disasters, fires, floods and the like. Ive seen things that if i dwelled on them would (and have)kept / keep me up for nights. Im a firm believer in an ounce of prevention. This non existant item is a really good idea.   :aok
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:55:04 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »
Conclusion:

Problem here is that the sirens are a few miles away and you can only hear them when there's no sound outside, I mean if a tornado comes through, My neighborhood won't know. Which is a scary thought, But seeing as how not much happens in Georgia, setting up a budget for a tornado siren close by would be voted out without a glance I feel.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »
<Edit> Not arguing with ya, just trying to foster discussion,on a topic that i feel is really interesting. Ive spent alot of time sifting thru the remains of peoples lives caused by natural disasters, fires, floods and the like. Ive seen things that if i dwelled on them would (and have)kept / keep me up for nights. Im a firm believer in an ounce of prevention. This non existant item is a really good idea.   :aok

How would this device be different than a weather radio?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »
Problem here is that the sirens are a few miles away and you can only hear them when there's no sound outside, I mean if a tornado comes through, My neighborhood won't know. Which is a scary thought, But seeing as how not much happens in Georgia, setting up a budget for a tornado siren close by would be voted out without a glance I feel.
If a tornado goes through your neighborhood and the residents don't know about it you have bigger problems that needing a alert system.  Seriously though you can get a weather radio from walmart for 20 or 30 bucks.  What I don't understand is why you need big brother to take care of you rather than taking care of yourself.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:46 PM »
If a tornado goes through your neighborhood and the residents don't know about it you have bigger problems that needing a alert system.  Seriously though you can get a weather radio from walmart for 20 or 30 bucks.  What I don't understand is why you need big brother to take care of you rather than taking care of yourself.
Like I said, Weather doesn't happen to often where I live, we dodge a good bit of it. So the need for a system like that isn't needed, storms often catch us by surprise, but we don't get serious weather outbreaks often, years go by without much.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
Outdoor tornado sirens are meant to alert people who are outdoors, and away from radios, TVs, and the internet.  They are not meant to heard by people in homes or commercial buildings.
You beat me to it.  :salute

There are indoor alarms with light and sound cues available on the market today that tie in to weather services to alert you when indoors.  But it's not the government's responsibility to provide them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:20:48 PM by Stalwart »

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:23 PM »
Even then,  you can't even hear them hardly from my location. So whether your in a house or not, you won't hear it either way.