Author Topic: So who's ready for a twin-turbo, 10,000 rpm 3.0L V8 corvette?  (Read 4621 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: So who's ready for a twin-turbo, 10,000 rpm 3.0L V8 corvette?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »
beautiful cars, but who in their right mind would pay that much for a car?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:47:30 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »
There's a couple EU-Ford models that come to mind when I think of a car that I might want as an every-day driver that aren't offered in the US.  I've always been curious why many Ford US models don't make it to the EU and vice versa.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
Whoever wrote that article has said some strange stuff.

He claims a 80.5mm bore and longer stroke which makes no sense.   

I wonder what "longer" means in his book because a square engine of 80.5mm bore and 80.5mm stroke yields an engine in excess of 3.2 liters.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

He claims a "80.5mm bore and longer stroke" which makes no sense.   

I wonder what "longer" means in his book because a square engine of 80.5mm bore and 80.5mm stroke yields an engine in excess of 3.2 liters.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 06:54:12 PM »
so? what're ya tryin to say?  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »

Ya I saw that too!!! but then a few things in that article just make it sound like speculations.....

Years ago GM talked about a small displacement turbo'd mid engine car,I think they even made a proto of it but nothing came of the project. I wont defend GM or Ford for that matter neither company has done anything in the last 20 years except to take our money for substandard products.

I have first hand experience on "Fords" job is quality 1.... did a quality control job,water leak tests!

First hour on the job I wrote up around 20 cars,they all leaked in the same place,then the foreman came to check on the "new" guy and looked at my report sheet...... :o       I was told"are you trying to make us look bad",  only 2 cars per hour were supposed to leak so for the next month I sat back and wrote up 2 random cars every hour and spent my time reading and drinking coffee...... Then I finally was told I was doing a great job........ :rolleyes:

I told my uncle what was happening on the line,for some  reason I was moved to another department and the foreman was let go!!     My uncle was the plant manager at the time........ :lol

I'll give them props though,they're paying back the loans......... miracles do happen and yes Virgina there is a Santa Claus

:salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »

Ya I saw that too!!! but then a few things in that article just make it sound like speculations.....

Years ago GM talked about a small displacement turbo'd mid engine car,I think they even made a proto of it but nothing came of the project. I wont defend GM or Ford for that matter neither company has done anything in the last 20 years except to take our money for substandard products.

I have first hand experience on "Fords" job is quality 1.... did a quality control job,water leak tests!

First hour on the job I wrote up around 20 cars,they all leaked in the same place,then the foreman came to check on the "new" guy and looked at my report sheet...... :o       I was told"are you trying to make us look bad",  only 2 cars per hour were supposed to leak so for the next month I sat back and wrote up 2 random cars every hour and spent my time reading and drinking coffee...... Then I finally was told I was doing a great job........ :rolleyes:

I told my uncle what was happening on the line,for some  reason I was moved to another department and the foreman was let go!!     My uncle was the plant manager at the time........ :lol

I'll give them props though,they're paying back the loans......... miracles do happen and yes Virgina there is a Santa Claus

so what you're saying, is that the union guy didn't want to look bad? i'm not asking that to be a wise arse........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
 Actually Cap the Foremen are company guys,they didnt want to look bad,the union had nothing to do with it except take money from my paycheck every week!

What I'm saying is that they build cars that are far from perfect and it's all about production,gotta pump those 60 cars an hour out the door!  Even if they're not selling. Atleast the Japanese car makers learned from it and try to make a good product but they too are product driven.

Cap answer me this,how many fords went to the garage to have Mr Ford listen to them to make sure they sounded like a ford??

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
Actually Cap the Foremen are company guys,they didnt want to look bad,the union had nothing to do with it except take money from my paycheck every week!

What I'm saying is that they build cars that are far from perfect and it's all about production,gotta pump those 60 cars an hour out the door!  Even if they're not selling. Atleast the Japanese car makers learned from it and try to make a good product but they too are product driven.

Cap answer me this,how many fords went to the garage to have Mr Ford listen to them to make sure they sounded like a ford??

last question first....i've not a clue.

i know that they build imperfect cars. i'm kinda surprised to hear that the formen are company men, rather than union guys. i'm not much for unions......

as for car quality......there's a reason that the "Wednesday car" thing came about. and to be honest, no one of them is better than the other in that dept in my opinion.

what i can do though, is go into my invoicing program, and find the most commonly serviced cars at my shop. or i could just state it here.

i work on a lot of mid/late 90's to early 2000's gm's....more chevys and buicks. quite a few of the "W" bodys. most of the fords i work on are regular maintenance, as are most of the toyotas.
 chrysler(although i drive one right now) is the worst. these things have the most inexplicable problems. not many hondas, other than regular maintenance, although i did have that one with the slipped timing chain.

bmw's seem to start "nickel and diming" their owners at around 100 to 110k miles. mercedes's i only seem to do basic maintenance on. audis.........don't get me started.......

i've probably left a couple out.....

back to the op.......regardless of whether or not that engine is real, if given the choice, i'd buy the same corvette that's been around. i don't need or want to wind an engine to 10k rpm to get the power.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
Last time was a no go   :neener:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/16/shelby-daytona-coupe-a-6-8-million-no-sale-at-mecum-auction/

Gotta go with Ford's Pedigree champ.

1949 - First NASCAR race run on June 19 at Charlotte, N.C., won by Jim Roper in a Lincoln.

1951 - Jim Flock is first driver to qualify quicker than 100 mph, he does so driving a Lincoln at the old beach race course at Daytona Beach, Fla.

Look up the GT40 MkII/IV's that kicked Ferrari in the nuts from 66-69.   Also the MK IV (67) IIRC,  is STILL the only American built race car to win overall at Le Mans.  

Ayrton Senna almost won a 4th GP Driver's Title in a SEVERELY underpowered McLaren/Ford in 1993 (managed 5 wins and 2 2nd's on his skill alone).  

Ford has a successful Rally Program.   GM and Dodge cannot hang in WRC, nor will they ever.    
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:10:40 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »
nope. i'm basing my confidence on the fact that when ford wanted to hammer the euro stuff into yesterday, they did just that. if ford did, then chevy can.

OH...WAIT.....
didn't ferreri pull their stuff out of competition, for that year or two, in order to not be beaten by a ford? i might be wrong on that part.......
  English designers, bravo Ford :aok
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle