Author Topic: So who's ready for a twin-turbo, 10,000 rpm 3.0L V8 corvette?  (Read 4633 times)

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: So who's ready for a twin-turbo, 10,000 rpm 3.0L V8 corvette?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
back OT, why build a turbo engine which revs to 10k?  :headscratch:

Efficiency
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
Flagship models don't need to be practical and are usually technology demonstrators.

Honda gambled correctly that most who bought the S2000 wouldn't run it to redline 71 times per day and most made it out the warranty deadline because most never saw redline more than a couple times per week.

That said, we'll be running the ford gt out to 12,000 rpms with next evolution beyond our current 5.9 liter engine.......that revs currently past 9000.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »

back to the op.......regardless of whether or not that engine is real, if given the choice, i'd buy the same corvette that's been around. i don't need or want to wind an engine to 10k rpm to get the power.

For the 2013 corvette i'd like to see a powerplant that's like the Boss 302 in characteristics :aok
... broad, flat torque (low-mid to near redline) and the ability to still deliver strong torque near the redline without forced induction.

It would also be a big plus if GM comes with a dual clutch transmission for uninterrupted torque delivery.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
The reason corvette engines are not double overhead cam 4 valve engines is that those engines are unbelievably wide.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »
For the 2013 corvette i'd like to see a powerplant that's like the Boss 302 in characteristics :aok
... broad, flat torque (low-mid to near redline) and the ability to still deliver strong torque near the redline without forced induction.

It would also be a big plus if GM comes with a dual clutch transmission for uninterrupted torque delivery.

it could be. it's hard to improve on the corvette. it's possible, but hard.

todays corvette is everything a corvette should be, and then some. and don't forget.....this is coming from a ford guy.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
The reason corvette engines are not double overhead cam 4 valve engines is that those engines are unbelievably wide.

although i don't think they need to, gm could get a OHC or DOHC engine in the vette if they wanted to. ford fit both into the mustang, in the sn95 chassis.
 if i recall, all they had to do, was to convert to hydro-boost, eliminating the power booster, in order to fit it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
although i don't think they need to, gm could get a OHC or DOHC engine in the vette if they wanted to. ford fit both into the mustang, in the sn95 chassis.
 if i recall, all they had to do, was to convert to hydro-boost, eliminating the power booster, in order to fit it.

More weight, more space taken up with OHC setups.  No point in not sticking with a pushrod setup, it's simple and it works :aok. long live the LSX :rock

Didn't really think I would stay out of a vette thread would ya :lol  CAP I always knew you were a closet vette guy :neener:

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
More weight, more space taken up with OHC setups.  No point in not sticking with a pushrod setup, it's simple and it works :aok. long live the LSX :rock

Didn't really think I would stay out of a vette thread would ya :lol  CAP I always knew you were a closet vette guy :neener:

:salute
BigRat

well.....it would almost be un-american to not like the corvette.

i hafta admit though.....just as the camaro, and the mustang, the current generation of vettes are the first ones i've really liked since the 69 model year.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
tell you what man, we have been hammering that 800HP 2003 Z06 for a couple of years now. All I can say is there's not a lot of cars you can buy used for 30k, double the HP to 800 on a stock engine and not having to change anything ... Not the trany ... Not tte rear end ... Not the driveshaft ... Not the brakes ... Nada ...
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
tell you what man, we have been hammering that 800HP 2003 Z06 for a couple of years now. All I can say is there's not a lot of cars you can buy used for 30k, double the HP to 800 on a stock engine and not having to change anything ... Not the trany ... Not tte rear end ... Not the driveshaft ... Not the brakes ... Nada ...
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »
narrow bore, long stroke, high rpm?

'scuse me?

Those 3 do not match.

There is a very real limit on how far/how fast you can sling a piston reliably.

If they want to build an rpm motor then it should be short stroke, large bore
ie: Offenhauser or that killer little small block, the 302 (327 block w/283 crank - large bore, small stroke)

It would be interesting to see them do a hi-tech version of that mean lil 302
..but jammin second at 8k+ wasn't for the weak at heart :)

Fun tho :)

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:52 AM »
GE, don't forget the angle of the dangle. :)

Rash
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2011, 12:35:40 AM »

I've already done a couple of transaxle repairs on the vette and it could really use some help in the final drive area.

The C6 stuff is much stronger and fits nicely inside.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
narrow bore, long stroke, high rpm?

'scuse me?

Those 3 do not match.

There is a very real limit on how far/how fast you can sling a piston reliably.

If they want to build an rpm motor then it should be short stroke, large bore
ie: Offenhauser or that killer little small block, the 302 (327 block w/283 crank - large bore, small stroke)

It would be interesting to see them do a hi-tech version of that mean lil 302
..but jammin second at 8k+ wasn't for the weak at heart :)

Fun tho :)

-Frank aka GE

i drove a customers 69 camaro with that 302 in it.
 it was a trailer queen till he got it. some goofball had the valve lash WAY the hell off, along with the ignition timing. it was run so raraly, that the advance plate in the dist. wasn't moving properly. i wanted to rebuild it for him(to keep it a lil more original), but he wanted an aftermarket ignition system. he went with a mallory system. it worked ok, and i got the timing set to a total of 36BTDC, and had it in by 2,000.
 reset all of the valve lashes to where they belonged, and rebuilt all 4 of the calipers. then i got to beat the car a lil. customer wanted to know what it could do, but didn't wanna do it himself at first.  :devil

first drive, i pulled out of the lot, and was almost a sissy./.....launched her at 3,000. just chattered the tires at first, but then they broke loose. powershifted 2nd, and they continued to have not much in the way of traction. powershifted 3rd, and they finally caught, but i was running out of road, so i had to brake.

second drive, launched 5500rpm, and pretty much just sidestepped the clutch. see above, 'cept there was smoke rolling from the fenders till the middle of 3rd gear. and this engine was still pulling at 8,000rpm when i shifted. the owner was in the car with me on the second run. he was white as a ghost when we got back to the shop.
 THAT engine is one of chevy's big screw ups. as in they only built it for those 2 years. THAT engine should've been the one in the camaro all along.

oh yea.....the car only had 49k original miles.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2011, 08:41:11 AM »
30 thousandths on both intake and exhaust?