Author Topic: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
I am not sure any of this who did what nonsense actually gets us anywhere.

Code of conduct etc is only one aspect anyway.

It seems to me that this could be overcome by proper independant adjudication.

Everyone in this game sometimes needs to man up and accept it doesn't always go there way and accept the  outcome for the sake of the event and for the enjoyment people get out of it the majority of the time. This applies to all those involved and anyone who will not accept the judges decision is final after say one investigation of a rule breach should be susspended from the event for the rest of the season.

The biggest obstacles other than that seem to be organisational and having 6 people so I would suggest fixtures, a minimum of 4 and someone outside of the vent not competing like Bald Eagle in the tri annual in charge.

Anyone who then wants to dispute results shluld do so through there CO to an independant judge and then accept the outcome. Discussion should be limited to the SDL thread and any unsportsmanlike or disrespectfull behaviour reported privately (not in public) to whoever is in charge.

I would administer it for a sason and refrain from competing if that would help and I am sure my own squaddies would tesitify I am in no way biased in their favor   :)

Basically squads can carry on having futile disputes or agree to opperate within a set of rules independantly monitored for compliance and be men enough to accept its not always going to go there way. Alternatively carry on with the foolish immature bickering that spoils the game for allot of peole beyond those ego's involved.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:19:18 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »
the other alternative now that SDL is an official AH event is to have a CM come babysit any matches and act as a referee. 

If there is a problem with someone not understanding a rule then they can give an honest answer.   Until then it is up to everyone to act like adults and for the most part this has been fine.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »
The loss doesnt matter to me. wooo jokers won. The people playing instigator and then act shocked that the conversation went down hill is what I couldn't and still cant handle. The ultimate act of hypocrisy coming and complaining that things like that happened.

this is what  waystin was talking about when he mentioned about people going on and on and on, instead of explaining their point and leaving it at that.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
Our squad enjoyed the fights we had but lately we have not been able to drum up the numbers. Usualy only 2 or 3 people signed up so we had to withdraw.

SDL is great fun, the only thing that ever turns me off is the uber-competetive attitudes. When some people want to always win and others just want to have fun the later group tend to get bored quicker. Having fun is a mutual experience; winning everytime is one sided. Or put better: Having fun requires a fun attitude from all invovled. Enjoying winning requires nothing from the other side except to lose. That is why the 'have-fun' crowd gets bored quicker.

Overall SDL is a possitive experience for me. Just can't get the numbers in my squad.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
Our squad enjoyed the fights we had but lately we have not been able to drum up the numbers. Usualy only 2 or 3 people signed up so we had to withdraw.

SDL is great fun, the only thing that ever turns me off is the uber-competetive attitudes. When some people want to always win and others just want to have fun the later group tend to get bored quicker. Having fun is a mutual experience; winning everytime is one sided. Or put better: Having fun requires a fun attitude from all invovled. Enjoying winning requires nothing from the other side except to lose. That is why the 'have-fun' crowd gets bored quicker.

Overall SDL is a possitive experience for me. Just can't get the numbers in my squad.

i feel the same sentiments as far as the ubber stick attitudes, no need for that in that league, i will say one thing Egos killed that league.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
mixed scrimmages  :furious
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
i feel the same sentiments as far as the ubber stick attitudes, no need for that in that league, i will say one thing Egos killed that league.

I sympathise but I don't see how egos kill it as you go along, you play. If idiots want to sound off on BBS so what ?

I am not sure how it interferes with game play.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:42:35 PM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
I sympathise but I don't see how egos kill it as you go along you play. If idiots want to sound off on BBS so what ?

I am not sure how it interferes with game play.

maybe its along the lines of why interact with people who act as tools, it's my choice to or not to.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
maybe its along the lines of why interact with people who act as tools, it's my choice to or not to.

Yep I agree but I dont believe that is the majority of those involved. Why let a few people spoil it for everyone there are tools in every event. I think people need to put all that behind them and we need to get some new suqads involved.

I agree though the excessive empahasis on winning can kill competition but where there are enough squads involved there will be some ultra serious others more relaxed, rough with the smooth tyoe arrangement and some will give better more fun fights than others.

THe basic concept of the event seems very sound it just needs to be managed so more people wnat to get inovlved.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
Seems to me like the matches are simply to few and far between.  There should be more of a schedule.  Similar to the Dueling Ladder, each squad has an assigned opponent and must complete the duel within X number of weeks or both squads are scored as a loss...  Or something like that.  I just think it is hard to get folks motivated when the matches are so spaced out.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
Seems to me like the matches are simply to few and far between.  There should be more of a schedule.  Similar to the Dueling Ladder, each squad has an assigned opponent and must complete the duel within X number of weeks or both squads are scored as a loss...  Or something like that.  I just think it is hard to get folks motivated when the matches are so spaced out.
I like it!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
Dont worry, Waystin, we got kicked out from the SDL, even if we enter this one we will mute ourselves before entering the arena (otherwise instant kickout again), so feel free to join.  :aok
Bruv stated, everythings acceptable in that combat zone, and like in "The Hungover", anything hapens, its between the participants, and wont be told to anyone. No place for egoism, no complaints etc etc, so idk why you brought up this again. Read the rules, then make your decision, its all up to you.
End of the drama?
AoM
City of ice

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
Well,

we Loose Deuce won the SDL season 1 last year, we spend a lot of time into the organisation and we trained a lot together. It pushed our squad real good, everyone was so exited! we had around 20 LD pilots at some matches, some of our opponents just brought in the minimum of 6 ppl. But all, even the guys on the waiting list enjoyed the fights. If you take a look at my youtube vidoes you can listen about the team spirit and the fun about it. The SDL is something like eletronic sports, after each match, most happend aound 11:00 pm on sunday night, i was not able to sleep because it is so intense....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krkLzbf-iyY

or also great fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjeCnIbWWlU

so far the enthusastic part!

BUT waystin nailed it a bit, we need a SDL management table, where each squadron send in one member to decide when things fgo wrong!
We have actual a lot of rules, great rules, but these where sadly never used!

rules:

This league is designed in part to encourage friendly competitive game play between squads. Currently the Squad Dueling League (SDL) has three managing members, daddog, hammer, and trotter. Decisions by any of the three are final and not open for debate. Squads may be dismissed from the league at any time for any one or any combination of the following:
- Members whose intent is to insult other members
- Members whose intent is to discredit HTC or Aces High
- Members whose intent is to frustrate other players
- Members who continually complain or whine

and more...

we saw sadly constant whining during the matches and afterwards at the AAR! Its nothing more frustrating than constant whining to me! I am 45, did sports for my whole life, broke a lot of my bones doing sports, and i one of those who also did some sad fouls too, but ones turned shake hands and drink a good beer after the match. Still kick the ball with my old boys playing football (soccer), but never i saw so many bad behavier before ! change those bad and mostly arrogant bahavier by eject single members out of the SDL league and it will be one of the best things at AH!!! Therefore we need to have a SDL management table to decide who crossed the line and will be ejected out of the SDL. Our SDL manager 4brkfast decided to skip season 2, we will return in season 3 and i hope we will find a solution to sort out the gaming kids and some old bones who never did sports and never learned to lose. All i can say, the SDL is one of the best parts of AH, but it need more influence be the squadrons which take part. Because the SDL squadrons are the SDL!
As an example for bad behavier, we LD fought another squadron, members of a third squadron watched our match inside the DA. when there was a little confusion about fuel usage (which was all my fault, i gave my guys some wrong information) four guys of this third 'watching' squadron stepped up and beginn a discussion about the fight! Noone asked for something! i can say this was a classic NO GO to me, maybe i am a bit too much old school but i wish we might find a solution for the future to make sure that players who not following above rules will be ejected for one season

Salute
dhyran

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:55:29 PM by dhyran »

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
lol realy, good answer.

Phatzo....that pic is awesome...could you please animate it like Strokes?  Thank you.

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
Our squad is mostly older.  Been around since the beginning.....and most don't get online as much as we once did.

We fly with the 334th in FSO.  We try to register for scenarios.  As to the MA...if we get 4 on at once it is a miracle.

Members log on sometime during the week usually...we are active but are not in the MAs' with any regularity or number.

Just a group of old friends, most dating back since Air Warrior.  20 years of combat sim flying together is great.

We have others things to do in life that now take up the majority of our lives.  We still love the game, the time isn't there.
- The Flying Circus -