Author Topic: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Why don't more squads want to participate in SDL ?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
Personally, I don't see the appeal of SDL. Any type of league brings out the competative side of people.
All that adrenaline and testosterone only causes arguements.
SDL needs good winners and good losers, and as you can't make people either...
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
 Winning is a license to gloat, and losing should feel like crap. Thats the way it should be. To compete without passion, you may as well stay out of competition altogether.

~AoM~

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »
What about allowing a minimu of 4 v 4?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
What about allowing a minimu of 4 v 4?

Boo
This would be great.  :salute
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 02:21:54 AM »
SDL should be renamed BOSDL "Best of Squad Dualing League".

This dueling event is for a limited selection of game players who need to show there prowess against other like minded players, this is the only reason it has a dwindling amount of entrants.

The majority of players will never take part in such a event no matter what rules and fixes are applied to it.

The last couple of SECs i flew in were very good though :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
cause the FBS upped hurri's and spits and hid in ack last time
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 03:55:11 AM »
Winning is a license to gloat, and losing should feel like crap. Thats the way it should be. To compete without passion, you may as well stay out of competition altogether.

Indeed, but there is a difference between what you describe and losing causing months of purse swinging.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 04:14:03 AM »
Seems to me like the matches are simply to few and far between.  There should be more of a schedule.  Similar to the Dueling Ladder, each squad has an assigned opponent and must complete the duel within X number of weeks or both squads are scored as a loss...  Or something like that.  I just think it is hard to get folks motivated when the matches are so spaced out.

Thats exactly what I think. Too few matches becase they are left to CO's to negotiate, This is hard to administer and when there are few matches the usual ego's end up argueing over the results on here when the positive thing would be to move on and prepare for the next match. The problem is there is no next match and everyone is getting their panties in a twist over the last one they dont get the next one orgasised.

Fixtures, Independant admistration and adjudication with a 4 minimum.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:29:03 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2011, 04:19:42 AM »
Personally, I don't see the appeal of SDL. Any type of league brings out the competative side of people.
All that adrenaline and testosterone only causes arguements.
SDL needs good winners and good losers, and as you can't make people either...

Yes but in properly organised competition people can learn how to deal with their negative emotions without lashing out on here or sulking. The hardest lesson is dealing with the occasional injustice real or percieved and being able to move on. It what we British used to call playing the game. Learning to basically accpet the judges decision and "shut it". As to the event itself surely it should be played to win but within the rules and again if people win within the rules no one should be crying about it afterwards.  

SDL should be renamed BOSDL "Best of Squad Dualing League".

This dueling event is for a limited selection of game players who need to show there prowess against other like minded players, this is the only reason it has a dwindling amount of entrants.

The majority of players will never take part in such a event no matter what rules and fixes are applied to it.

The last couple of SECs i flew in were very good though :)

That is down to the individual CO's as to whether they will encourage partcipation or just put their top 6 or 4 forward to win. The more people involved the better for the event is my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:27:52 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2011, 04:25:54 AM »

I dont see why their needs to be any gloating winning should be enough. Sadly there will always be insecure people who have to extract the maximum and some to make up for other deficiencies in their lives but I don't think this should be accepted or encouraged. It is neither good behaviour or good for competition. I think some people really do think competition is just about winning and actually doing someothing you enjoy with others is of no importance if you are not going to win. Isn't that really quite sad.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:30:32 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2011, 05:02:15 AM »
The majority of AH game players play game for fun, with the back biting and squeaking gone on over the months in SDL you are not going to get a influx of people attending.

The SDL is a elite stomping ground for certain individuals, the majority of AH game players are aware of this and thus don't take part in these events.

SEC is where its at by the way good fun.

The GFC

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 05:11:51 AM »
The majority of AH game players play game for fun, with the back biting and squeaking gone on over the months in SDL you are not going to get a influx of people attending.

The SDL is a elite stomping ground for certain individuals, the majority of AH game players are aware of this and thus don't take part in these events.

SEC is where its at by the way good fun.

But there only seem to be about 3 competitive squads in SDL. It seems that if there were more squads in their then ther would be more opportunities for a fun event. I am surprised if the antics of a minority have put the rest off.
The problem for an average squad currently is they might face annihilation against say the top 3 but that is because there is no one else, with say 10 active squads the whole thing might be transformed.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2011, 05:29:55 AM »
Maybe you should play Kofi Annan and make advances to other squads and tri and jump start the SDL's :)

The GFC

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2011, 05:33:11 AM »
Maybe you should play Kofi Annan and make advances to other squads and tri and jump start the SDL's :)

Yes that's what I am trying to do  ;)
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline kculon

• Copper Member
      • http://fotgfilms.com
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
With limited time to fly these days, The SDL takes too much of it. I have been getting in maybe 10 hours a month. To provide a high level of competition I need to have a lot more time in the game. Training with the squad takes a few hours a week. Learning your mates flying takes even longer. Becoming a solid squad of tough fighters takes a long time too. I hope we at the LD have enough people and time to do SDL- S3.

Also I think the sportsmanship needs some improvement. I won't dig through it all again, but after some, not all, but some matches hearing all the negative talk about this or that when we all knew no rules were broken. Just silly and a big put off for me.

I enjoyed the matches, and winning SDL-S1 was really a high point of my AH experience.
I hope we can get some good squads in for SDL-S3 that want to have fun, supply a high level of competition and sportsmanship!!!!
<S> ~kc