Author Topic: Mysterious drop tank. Need help identifying.  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
Re: Mysterious drop tank. Need help identifying.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »
That's amazing stuff.  Thanks for all the help everyone.  <S>

Fugi,  If we only could predict the future with these things.  I never knew that I would be talking about that fuel tank almost 70 years after it was dropped.  My grandfather still has two brothers alive that live in the area.  I can talk with them and ask if they remember when this incident occurred.  I'm not sure of the exact year this happened thought.  The toughest challenge is going to be digging thorough old microfilm at the Southbridge library to see if the incident was reported.  With so much happening during the war years, this won't be easy.  If you know of somebody to ask, go right ahead.  You know where to find me.

As far at the tanks future, I know it won't be going to some scrapper for 50 dollars.  It's too banged up to be restored.  The big dent was caused when it impacted.  So, maybe cleaning it up and hanging it in my basement might be a possibility.  The wife would kill me, so I may be put in the basement too.  Might as well have something to keep me company.

Once again, thanks everyone for the leads.  I'll post again when I find out more.

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »
in the second pic it looks like the drop tank has a hole in it, ive thought up a little theory, might as well lay it out:

what if the pilot of the plane was making a long-country flight, and had this drop tank for extra fuel, but something hits the drop tank, causing that hole. which drains the fuel out of it. forcing him to make an emergency landing due to low fuel? this could of been the only drop tank on the plane, so he jettisoned it to get rid of dead weight and make it easier to land.  i would say look up planes that regularly carried only 1 droptank. (like p38s) or ask the airport if there is any records of a plane making an emergency landing at the base to refuel.

also, how much do you think a ww2 aircraft droptank is worth?  :headscratch:

You may as well attach a new theory on gravity with that because the hole is on top  :neener:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »
 Obie,

Back in the day the used to build cars out of drop tanks,the So-Cal roadster was an example you can find readily.

It's abit small to make a fullsize roadster but I bet it would make a real nice pedal car for some lucky kid!

Or you could even throw a small 5hp motor in it an make it motorized.   Just a thought I had when I first saw the DT.

Cool piece of history no matter what you do with it.

:salute

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
Rig it up as a keg cooler for the ol' man cave

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder