Author Topic: Man builds RV7 in basement with no way to get it out  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Man builds RV7 in basement with no way to get it out
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Pocket change...

It becomes alot more feasible if you spread the cost out over 7-12 years like most builders do.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
It becomes alot more feasible if you spread the cost out over 7-12 years like most builders do.
I can see that.  Instead of getting a six-pack on the weekend, get a bucket of rivets...

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
I can buy an airplane for less than a new bone stock Corvette, Camaro or Mustang.  It's all about what your hobby is and what your passions are.  Some guys spend money remodeling their houses, restoring their cars, paying for their ex wives and throwing money at a hole in the water disguised as a boat.  Heck you can get a single seat aerobatic airplane for less than the cost of a new motorcycle and guys with a bike are hardly the stereotype of "rich."

Blue collar Joe's can buy or build an airplane if that's what they're after.  Experimental and homebuilt single engine airplanes can be good examples of more affordable options.  The guy lives in a modest house and had his pet project that lasted a few years.  Hardly a member of the Forbes 400.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
Hardly a member of the Forbes 400.

Neither am I  :D

But I am going to assemble my parts, when finished making them, in a hanger

http://www.mykitlog.com/VonMessa

Haven't updated the log online in a while.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
hhmmm...in pa, and no response from vonmessa,,,,,,,,,,,,hhmmmmmmm.... :noid :airplane:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
I didn't realize you were so close by (looking at your location apparently wasn't that obvious).

I'm in West Chester and keep our airplane at Coatesville.  That's a nifty bit of kit (plans) you might say in the Queen's.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »
Didn't know there were so many NCIS watchers here. Love the show.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
You can build an RV7 for around 70k completed

Yea, $70K is probably a pretty close average, BUT...   If you're frugal you can do it for a lot less then that even, I know of one completed last year for around $45K.

He did a simple VFR panel, got a high time used Lycoming and overhauled it himself, fixed pitch prop, did his own paint, and kept away from all the spendy options like custom seats, fancy throttle quadrants, electric flaps, and autopilot.  Now he's got his own airplane for less $$ then a new SUV or ski boat.  And as a plus, he can still add some of those fancy options later if he wants as his finances allow.

Of course on the opposite end of the spectrum I've seen pics of an RV-7 with dual Garmin G900s, custom leather interior, $50k paint job, composite CS prop.  This guy literally had more $$ into his panel then many have in their whole plane.

That's the beauty of the experimental category... ... it can be as simple or fancy as you like.

EDIT: also I don't get why people are ragging on this guy for building in his basement.  I for one admire his dedication.  He didn't let any excuse like "I don't have a shop yet" get in the way of pursuing his dream.  He thought outside the box and got it done.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:57:36 PM by saggs »

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
I didn't realize you were so close by (looking at your location apparently wasn't that obvious).

I'm in West Chester and keep our airplane at Coatesville.  That's a nifty bit of kit (plans) you might say in the Queen's.

Didn't know you were so close, either  :aok

Yea, $70K is probably a pretty close average, BUT...   If you're frugal you can do it for a lot less then that even, I know of one completed last year for around $45K.

He did a simple VFR panel, got a high time used Lycoming and overhauled it himself, fixed pitch prop, did his own paint, and kept away from all the spendy options like custom seats, fancy throttle quadrants, electric flaps, and autopilot.  Now he's got his own airplane for less $$ then a new SUV or ski boat.  And as a plus, he can still add some of those fancy options later if he wants as his finances allow.

Of course on the opposite end of the spectrum I've seen pics of an RV-7 with dual Garmin G900s, custom leather interior, $50k paint job, composite CS prop.  This guy literally had more $$ into his panel then many have in their whole plane.

That's the beauty of the experimental category... ... it can be as simple or fancy as you like.

EDIT: also I don't get why people are ragging on this guy for building in his basement.  I for one admire his dedication.  He didn't let any excuse like "I don't have a shop yet" get in the way of pursuing his dream.  He thought outside the box and got it done.

You wouldn't believe the reaction from my friends when they come over.

Most folks do not understand.

Them "You are building an airplane?  In your basement?  How are you going to get it out?"

Me "No, I am fabricating parts for my plane in my basement and when all the parts are done, I will assemble it in a hanger."

Them "Huh?  How do you fit the parts in the door when they are delivered?"

Me "I am building a plane from a blueprint and a pile of raw materials, not assembling a kit."

Them "Huh?"

Me "I'm just attaching wings to the house and I'm gonna fly that so I don't need a hotel when I travel"   :lol

Having the shop as close as possible is the #1 rule.  It makes it harder to give in to the "I don't have time to drive to the shop" excuse.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.