Author Topic: Ta 152  (Read 26648 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Ta 152
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
I think the handling issue is likely from having a high aspect ratio 48 ft wingspan on a 33 ft fuselage. German pilots, who typically had Sailplane experience,  wouldn't have as much trouble coordinating the increased adverse yaw as somebody encountering it for the first time.

And even with the 33ft fuselage, it really comes down to the tail moment to help counter adverse yaw.  Looking at a schematic for the TA152H I'm also amazed at the itty-bitty looking rudder, and the not-overly-large vertical stabilizer...  This is the enlarged version???  I'm not even sure that my sailplane would be flyable with a small rudder and fin like that.  I'm using a significant amount of coordinated rudder in order to avoid adverse yaw.

Once adverse yaw is started, the mass forward of the CoG/pivot-point would tend to add to your troubles, wouldn't it?  

Having played with it a little more, I'm still just seeing it as an adverse-yaw-prone airplane.  I'm not seeing anything shockingly-wrong with it.  Last time I flew online I even had a nice fight with an F4U, and I'm confident I'd have killed him if more red guys hadn't shown up.

I'm curious though- how much could stick-scaling play a part with a plane like this?  Could it be measured?  With scaling to reduce initial rudder-throw, you might almost need to give what feels like a ridiculous amount of rudder to counteract the yaw in certain situations.  I'm not seeing much to surprise me, but then again I use no scaling at all so fly with small stick movements and get "linear" rudder response.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:55:02 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »
"It appears they changed the Mossie's pitching moment to address it."

Why, who requested it and with what data to support the idea that it is not prone to pancake with that round fuselage and that tiny rudder?

Mind you they put a huge a55 rudder to Ta152H and ME410 to make it stable so what was so special in Mossie it does not need that?  :eek:

-C+

The Mossie's issue had to with longitudinal stability / lack of pitching moment occurring whenever it was suddenly deeply stalled.  The rudder didn't play a part in this.

Widewing identified the issue in 2004 here: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,122476.msg1286272.html#msg1286272  It appears HTC addressed it 3 years later in 2007 in ver 2.11 (release notes Pyro said "Made some weight balance and flight handling changes to the Mosquito.").  What other analysis occurred between 2004 - 2007 and by whom I have no idea :).  

I've never mentioned it before but I've done a battery of flight tests for myself on a variety of AH aircraft analyzing how they responded when deeply stalled out of sheer aero curiosity, particularly Cm.  Practically no data exists for Cm curves for our WW2 aircraft at high angles of attack beyond stall.  At the lack of Cm data my conclusion was that HTC's interpretation of what occurs in post-stall is as good as anyone else's.  

Do I think there are different ways to derive Cm data?  You bet, but it becomes a matter of which approaches one wants to take to modeling post stall dynamics.  Since HTC has a physics engine that let's them sum up all the forces around CG, I think their approximation of what happens in non-linear aero lala land is up to whatever they're happy with :).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:04:45 PM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »
Mind you they put a huge a55 rudder to Ta152H and ME410 to make it stable so what was so special in Mossie it does not need that?  :eek:

-C+

It is illogical to make that comparison because it would take a very involved and complicated analysis to answer that question in the first place.  Two aircraft of the same relative size can have completely different stability characteristics.  Typically for design early on, tail volume coefficients are used to size the tail.  Later on during stability analysis, the tail size and location is modified up (to increase stability) or down (to decrease drag) to meet whatever stability characteristics are desired.  These coefficients are a product of area and the arm, measured from the quarter-chord point of the wing, to the quarter-chord point of the vertical or horizontal tail.

So, the Cvt (vertical tail coefficient) is Lvt X Svt / bw X Sw

Where:

Lvt = Length of the arm from 1/4 mean chord of wing to 1/4 mean chord of vertical tail
Svt = Area of the vertical tail
bw = Wing Span
Sw = Wing Area

Now, for a single-engined WWII fighter aircraft, this coefficient usually would fall anywhere from .04 to .06.  If anyone wants to do the math, we could at least see if the size of the vertical tail is in the right ballpark.  Obviously, this is merely a guesstimate for the designers to use once the make the initial drawings of the design.  Once the design process is more advanced, they would do a very detailed stability analysis on paper, to see whether or not the tail would be sufficient to control the aircraft in all regimes of flight.  These stability equations are very ugly.  I'll provide them if anyone is interested.

Again, I'm not saying that the Ta-152 doesn't have issues.  I contend that in order to determine that it DOES have issues, one must do more than say "they made the tail bigger" or whatever other sort of superficial analysis (if we can even characterize it as such) is used, in order to even broach the issue.  That the Ta-152 has some quirky handling issues is evident.  What is causing them is not, unless a much more thorough investigation is pursued.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
Wow this thread was more active this holiday weekend than I thought.  Still catching up in it.

Do you understand how a problem with an aircraft's center of gravity is manifested in flight?

Completely and absolutley truely "understand" aircrafts' CoG, I'm pretty certain I'm not as I'm getting some confusion, thus why I'm asking for further information on it from those that certainley do - my understanding being that it is in part heavily dependent (if not purely) on weight distribution in the aircraft, and that a problem begins 'manifesting' itself when the aircraft's CoG and its physical trajectory depart from within the limits of the aircraft's controlled flight and intended trajectory via controlled flight...   :headscratch:
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
More specifically he needs to demonstrate how he has deteremined from the flying qualities of the AH Ta-152 where CG is in relationship to the neutral point compared to where he expects it to be.  After 12 pages in this thread I have yet to see evidence of this.

See above and my last post in this thread last week, admitting that I believe I have a shortcomming with completely and fully understanding CoG in flight as things are not making sence on this matter to me in one way or the other.  It's the logical step in moving forward, before making any claim that there's a problem with something specific, it's best to fully understand the nature of it, be it the CoG in a flying toaster or the Ta-152.

I can say anything and everything I want to complain and make a point about this issue on the 152 in AH, if there is indeed an issue with it. 

Nothing previously expressed on this issue seems to of mattered or made any notable difference; not having a repetitive problem with all fuel tanks full except for the aft, not having the same repetitive problem with all fuel tanks EXCEPT the aft empty, not having this same repetitive problem light and traveling 500+ mph, being heavy and having it during gentle maneuvers at ~300 mph, or the fact that for it being so teal-heavy unstable and susceptable to these "stalls" with full open throttle - how you can always get out of them with a couple thousand feet in altitude to spare and bobing the throttle witht he plane between 20-60% (mind you, this is after you stalled out doing 500+ mph and full throttle because that wasn't enough to keep it stable after imediatley inducing the "stall").

So if it is a failed understanding I have, one that makes me interpret all those issues raised above by me or by others to be true, then there should be no more issue or dispute on this matter once we've cleared up the obvious misunderstanding that others and I have with the Ta-152 and CoGs in flight, at all...

I got to go for now, still have to finish catching up on the thread completely, as I hope everyone else so closely following all the posts here in it are also doing, down to the very letter. ( :devil )

"Intelligence is a persuit of knowledge, not a conquest."
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
Many have commented on the instability of the Ta152 since AH2 was released. In AH1 it was much more like a dora. Okay, not quite... But it was easier to fly. It turned as you could expect but when you just nosed it up it kept going. It was an interesting and unique plane to fly.

In AH2 as soon as we got it here, all of a sudden the tail skids out every direction with the smallest of inputs. You bank even a few degrees and you peg the slip indicator (forgive the exaggeration to drive a point home). It had a longer tail, it had a LARGER tail. It was a more effective stabilizer than on previos 190 models, and yet our in-game model is rather...

How shall I say it...

Terrible to fly.
BS

Krusty, honestly I haven't looked at your film.  Nothing in this thread has given me any motivation to go through the trouble of resetting up my PC & associated equipment post-house-move for the latest ver of AH to analyze :D.  That being said departure ending ultimately in high alpha situations could occur no matter where you are at in the flight envelope.

As to the "152 needs fixing" IMHO I haven't seen any real physics argument demonstrating that the "152 is broken". :)
Don't even take Krusty's posts seriously unless you confirmed them in practice.  The 152 doesn't (or is extremely hard to) stall irrecoverably from power-on departures.  Next, the departures themselves aren't anything difficult to keep in check if you exercise basic maneuvering discipline - nothing more sophisticated than keeping the sideslip ball in line and not doing any off the wall improvised maneuvers - maneuvers you don't know what to expect from.

The 152 might be hazardous but those hazards are easily manageable, and what's more, they're exploitable and inarguably useful for dogfight maneuvering.  Random E.G. : fishtail airbrake as linked in the 152 wiki article.

Bottom line: the 152 has one of the, and arguably THE, best rudders in the game.  More than enough to keep the 152's yaw instability problems under control.

Nothing previously expressed on this issue seems to of mattered or made any notable difference; not having a repetitive problem with all fuel tanks full except for the aft, not having the same repetitive problem with all fuel tanks EXCEPT the aft empty,
Are you saying that AFT fuel's effect on COG is negligible?

And even with the 33ft fuselage, it really comes down to the tail moment to help counter adverse yaw.  Looking at a schematic for the TA152H I'm also amazed at the itty-bitty looking rudder, and the not-overly-large vertical stabilizer...  This is the enlarged version???
Pretty sure that's only an intermediate version of the biggest tail design they had planned for use.
Very very faint and very possibly wrong remembrance that the tail we have is not the latest planned wooden tail, either.

I putzed around in it for a bit last night and had a typical evening flying it.  Induced a few instabilities that I recovered from repeatedly (the first one always being the trickiest, hehe).  But nothing terrible, all were recovered using flaps and throttle only and I had an empty aft tank each time.

Only had one real odd-ball instability I wish I had recorded just for reference here.  In going with assuming pilot error above anything with the model or game, it was more of a slow wingover if I recall correctly than the intended aggressive and high-angled yo-yo that I was going for.  What had me cursing and spitting at it though was that I still had forward momentum, and as I performed the wingover I got my nose down for maybe a good 2-3 full adrenaline filled seconds.  I had the forward momentum still (I didn't try or had any intention to float a stall or intentionally induce a tail-first stall to the ground), and I had the nose pointed down with a full forward tank, dry aft, and a combined balance of ~75%-50% the fuel still in both my wing tanks (why I really wish I filmed, I wonder if my flubbed wing-over may of been heavily influenced by the fuel distribution in my wings during the slow speed maneuver), throttle firewalled and WEP cranking, 90-100% ammo loadout still in the guns... and then it starts to happen, nose down, wind consistently through the maneuver flowing over the surfaces, arguably predominantly nose-heavy, and that mother !@#$!@g tail that's up in the air behind me with my forward momentum now heading towards the ground teetered my tail down and my nose up like the dang thing was loaded with 50,000 pounds of bricks in the tail. 

These are the odd-ball instances of instability in the 152's flight model that really get me upset because even if the conditions were right for it to possibly of happened (ie: I was actually 10-20mph slower than I actually thought and maybe tried to wingover with my heaviest wing of the two being forced to be held high), it's wacky model will overridingly defy the odds of physics (heavy-nose due to fuel distribution and ammo, nose-down, momentum already heading forward in that direction, massive blender grasping at the air in that same general direction...) and do it anyways sometimes...

The irony of it all being that the solution to this problem/stall, was dumping flaps, forcing through flaps and ginger/light applications of throttle and the harnessing of the teetering momentum of the stall, and getting my nose and even less momentum than before the stall was induced down towards the ground to recover.  How should that stall be recoverable due to this means when more than twice those same factors used for preventing and recovering from the stall (forward momentum and thrust) were already present and in place before being overridden by the inducing of the stall?

To try and simplify, I'm gonna compare the tail stall of the 152 to getting your tire on your car stuck in a mud hole.  When 100% throttle and 15mph of forward momentum get you sunk and stuck in the same mud hole every single time, how does it make sense that bouncing 20-40% throttle and utilizing the forward momentum of 2-3mph can and will get you out of that hole every single time?  <- Makes sense (or not, I hope)?

Edit: spell checker is my friend.
Film!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:03:18 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
I'm quite interested in how cg placement effects planes myself.  I've never looked into it from a RL full size aircraft standpoint,but have some experience with adjusting it in RC aircraft.
In general,I've always kept it between 25 and 33% back from the leading edge,but played with a glider over the weekend that flew at a recommended 44% of the chord back. I ended up adding nose weight until I liked its performance better and it's now at 38%- further back than any of my planes.

The biggest difference I've seen is the sensitivity of the elevator.  Too far forward, and it's unresponsive.  Too far back and it gets hyper-sensitive.  I don't see either with the 152 BTW.  With the glider, the plane flies faster and penetrates the wind better with the forward cg.  The glide ratio is better, while rate of descent seems very similar.

I also see less problems with speed changes if I can have my elevator trimmed to show no up or down trim, but suspect that has more to do with angle of incidence and airfoil than actual cg or trim?  

Interestingly enough, moving the cg required zero change to elevator trim...  That surprised me a lot.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:53:36 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
See above and my last post in this thread last week, admitting that I believe I have a shortcomming with completely and fully understanding CoG in flight as things are not making sence on this matter to me in one way or the other.  It's the logical step in moving forward, before making any claim that there's a problem with something specific, it's best to fully understand the nature of it, be it the CoG in a flying toaster or the Ta-152.

So if it is a failed understanding I have, one that makes me interpret all those issues raised above by me or by others to be true, then there should be no more issue or dispute on this matter once we've cleared up the obvious misunderstanding that others and I have with the Ta-152 and CoGs in flight, at all...

1) Because things don't make sense to you doesn't mean something is wrong :).

2) It's illogical to make a conclusion that something is wrong without valid supporting premises.  More specifically the argument appears to be this:

A) the ta-152 has handling issues
B) the cg of the 152 is wrong

This is a non sequitur.  B does not follow A.  What's missing are valid premises that link A to B.  To do so means explaining how the handling issues demonstrate cg is wrong.  I haven't seen any VALID supporting premises which lead to conclusion B.

3) As to clearing up the "obvious misunderstanding", others like Stoney, FLS, & mtnman have tried to point folks in the right direction but the misunderstanding is obviously still not obvious to you and some others :).  I even left a hint by mentioning the concept of the neutral point.  Should we do more to clear up the misunderstanding?  After 10 years of being on this board I now follow the philosophy espoused by Pascal...

"“People are generally better persuaded by the reasons which they have themselves discovered than by those which have come in to the mind of others.”

So where do you start with convincing yourself of the misunderstanding?  I think Stoney has it right.
@Bablyon--my question remains.  I'm still curious as to whether you know how a CG problem would manifest itself in flight.  Because, in order to understand what you're suggesting, you have to understand how stable flight is maintained regardless of where the CG is.
You need to revisit the factors that impact the stability of an airplane.
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »
To make a very generalized statement, if the CG moves so far aft, the elevator begins to run out of control authority, especially with respect to inducing nose-down pitch.  When this happens, pitch trim does get very sensitive, but most importantly, if the aircraft gets into a spin, a beyond-the-aft-limit CG condition can make stall recovery almost impossible, as the elevator does not have the ability to lower the Angle of Attack on the wing.  Similarly, with the CG beyond the forward limit, the elevator can run out of nose-up pitch authority.  This can have less severe consequences, but can also result in very dangerous flight characteristics.

So, when we say that the CG is too far aft, we should see two symptoms: pitch instability and worsened stall/spin recovery characteristics.  When it is too far forward, the plane becomes too stable--so much so that the elevator cannot make the nose pitch up.

Now, that being said, its obvious that the 152 exhibits some characteristics that suggest the aircraft has a bit of an aft-heavy CG.  That's not to say that's its too far aft, just that the pitch instability and lack of effective stall/spin recovery characteristics are symptoms.  It is possible for the aircraft to be safely operated in these conditions, just that the pilot needs to be mindful to stay inside the envelope.  That's not to say that the 152 is correct--just that in order to actually make the contention that the CG is too far aft, more analysis should be done. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2011, 01:44:39 AM »
That's interesting.  I'd have guessed there's no such thing as CG too far fwd.  As far as the 152 goes in AH at least, the further forward the better.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2011, 02:08:55 AM »
Not to nitpick here, but how many of you have actually flown a Ta152 in real life?

I'm not saying I have, but you guys are arguing over a model represented on a semi-realistic game. With only a handful of basic controls, I consider AH2 a secondary source when it comes to information such as flight characteristics, etc.
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »
That's interesting.  I'd have guessed there's no such thing as CG too far fwd.  As far as the 152 goes in AH at least, the further forward the better.

One of the interesting side-effects of aft CG placement is that an aircraft will typically pick up a little speed.  The further aft the CG is, the less "trim" force the H-stab/Elev needs to create, thus reducing the overall trim drag.  So, in some cases, an aft CG location can be desirable, as long as there is sufficient control authority remaining. 

@Raptor.  There is sufficient fidelity between the characteristics of the actual aircraft to their behavior in-game, that discussing the relative characteristics is a valid exercise.  Plus, we can sprinkle in some decent aerodynamics discussion.  Third, we can all get good and grumpy arguing with each other, which is a departure from the normal practice, away from the game, of staying fairly silent and merely mumbling an occasional "OK honey...".

HiTech

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
Not to nitpick here, but how many of you have actually flown a Ta152 in real life?
All of us have, ofcourse, esp since most of us were born after WW2.

As for in game... Well, moot has never flown the TA-152 :) :D

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
Are you saying that AFT fuel's effect on COG is negligible?

To the best of my knowledge and experience in flying the 152 in-game is that the aft tank, empty or full, has barely any noticable impact on its handling, especially when compared to noticable results from draining any of the other three tanks (but those tanks are also signifigantly larger).  In terms of inducing a tail-first stall or recovering from it, I'd err closer to the aft tank being full or empty having absolutley no effect in those two departments in AH (which aint right).

Film!!

I putzed around in it for a bit last night and had a typical evening flying it.  Induced a few instabilities that I recovered from repeatedly (the first one always being the trickiest, hehe).  But nothing terrible, all were recovered using flaps and throttle only and I had an empty aft tank each time.

Only had one real odd-ball instability I wish I had recorded just for reference here.  In going with assuming pilot error above anything with the model or game, <snipped>

Riding along with the lynch mob that likes going after those who self-admit a fault or guilt without reading beyond the first sentences of their statement (kick 'em when they're already down) much?  :D

1) Because things don't make sense to you doesn't mean something is wrong :).

2) It's illogical to make a conclusion that something is wrong without valid supporting premises.  More specifically the argument appears to be this:

A) the ta-152 has handling issues
B) the cg of the 152 is wrong

This is a non sequitur.  B does not follow A.  What's missing are valid premises that link A to B.  To do so means explaining how the handling issues demonstrate cg is wrong.  I haven't seen any VALID supporting premises which lead to conclusion B.

3) As to clearing up the "obvious misunderstanding", others like Stoney, FLS, & mtnman have tried to point folks in the right direction but the misunderstanding is obviously still not obvious to you and some others :).  I even left a hint by mentioning the concept of the neutral point.  Should we do more to clear up the misunderstanding?  After 10 years of being on this board I now follow the philosophy espoused by Pascal...

"“People are generally better persuaded by the reasons which they have themselves discovered than by those which have come in to the mind of others.”

So where do you start with convincing yourself of the misunderstanding?  I think Stoney has it right.You need to revisit the factors that impact the stability of an airplane.

That was such a vague and unhelpful post, good sir.  You're basicly saying everything I've already read and taught myself on the matter is what it is, thus my understanding is not flawed - something I'm not opposed to, especialy when I assume I'm surrounded by a community of people more capable at such things than myself, but that I will always be a bit naturally inclined to defend. 

Only thing I got out of your post is that I now need to ask you, "why are you convinced, yourself, that those of us here in these threads raising this issue all have a vast and glaring missunderstanding?".

For a fact I have never myself defended that it has handling issues, perhaps speculated with it as others suggested it, but the 152 IMO is one of THE BEST handling aircraft in the game with its massive wingspan, rudder and engine/torque.  But I do know I have said that it has extremely unstable flight characteristics and possibley something miss modeled with it's CoG and fuel/weight distributions that are also in place hand-in-hand with extremely over-stable characteristics (damned if I can explain almost half the stalls I get into in a 152, but damned if I don't get out of them almost every single time, tail-heavy or not, also.).

To make a very generalized statement, if the CG moves so far aft, the elevator begins to run out of control authority, especially with respect to inducing nose-down pitch.  When this happens, pitch trim does get very sensitive, but most importantly, if the aircraft gets into a spin, a beyond-the-aft-limit CG condition can make stall recovery almost impossible, as the elevator does not have the ability to lower the Angle of Attack on the wing.  Similarly, with the CG beyond the forward limit, the elevator can run out of nose-up pitch authority.  This can have less severe consequences, but can also result in very dangerous flight characteristics.

So, when we say that the CG is too far aft, we should see two symptoms: pitch instability and worsened stall/spin recovery characteristics.  When it is too far forward, the plane becomes too stable--so much so that the elevator cannot make the nose pitch up.

Now, that being said, its obvious that the 152 exhibits some characteristics that suggest the aircraft has a bit of an aft-heavy CG.  That's not to say that's its too far aft, just that the pitch instability and lack of effective stall/spin recovery characteristics are symptoms.  It is possible for the aircraft to be safely operated in these conditions, just that the pilot needs to be mindful to stay inside the envelope.  That's not to say that the 152 is correct--just that in order to actually make the contention that the CG is too far aft, more analysis should be done. 

Thank you Stoney!  So then, as I had assumed, an aircraft's CoG stays about constant, given no weight distribution or fuel distribution changes (you mention it shifting) during flight?  And when the CoG is too far aft, "the aircraft should experience worsened stall recoverys", is that in reference to the lack of pitch authority (I agree, pitch authority is useless until you get it pointed in the right direction with some air traveling around it) or that there is more to it working against us recovering than a lack of pitch authority and the heavy tail leading the way for us to the ground (overall I disagree that the stalls are hard to recover from, and perhaps that is realted, but they are repeatabley easy to recover from, although not as easy as other stalls in other AC)?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:32:22 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »
Only thing I got out of your post is that I now need to ask you, "why are you convinced, yourself, that those of us here in these threads raising this issue all have a vast and glaring missunderstanding?".
Lots of stuff that you've opened up for response but I'll focus on this one item which is central.  There are various evidences that convince me including the fact that you don't understand the basic argument you & your brethren have been making is an aerodynamic non sequitir.  For your sake I'll explain:

P1) the ta-152 has handling issues
C) therefore the cg is wrong

This is similar to this argument:

P1) the ground is wet
C) therefore it rained

Sounds really logical right?  The problem is that there are many reasons for why the ground could be wet besides it raining thus it does not follow that it has rained because the ground is wet.  Relating it to the Ta-152 there are many aerodynamic factors that influence the way the Ta-152 handles the way it does.  To conclude the cg is wrong, the argument must be something like this:

P1) the Ta-152 has handling issues that look like x
P2) cg caused handling issues look like x
P3) based on real world physics the Ta-152 should not have handling issues that look like x
C) therefore the AH cg is wrong

I've only seen statements that at best pass as partially resembling P1, but nothing resembling P2 or P3 that are valid.  

You'll have to forgive me.  I've been around these parts the last 10 years.  If I had a penny for every claim for something wrong with AH's FM I'd be a millionaire.  99.5% of them are badly argued claims like this one has been which turn out to be flawed.  I used to be more willing to help folks work through where their logic might be flawed.  I've changed my philosophy in dealing with AH FM skeptics.  The burden is on the AH FM skeptic to develop valid FM arguments and support them with valid premises.  It's not my responsibility nor is it remotely enjoyable to help FM skeptics repair their arguments especially vacuous ones.  Good on Stoney that he hasn't been worn down yet ;).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:13:23 PM by dtango »