Author Topic: 2-week trial players...spin off from Frustration thread  (Read 3063 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: 2-week trial players...spin off from Frustration thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »
Not a good idea.  Because of people like me..... 

I LOVE 2 WEEKERS. 

They are the easiest of kills.  They are the hunted.  Suddenly making them pink or some other color would only require a single PM to a friend (enemy)......   

"hey bro, where are the pinkies flying?"

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
There are many great points so far. A quick summary that I hope is accurate:

1. 2-weekers (maybe even up to a few months) get an in-country different color icon so we know they might need help.
2. Some sort of drop down list/menu of squads that are recruiting.
3. Optional tutorial on how to access basics, such as VOX, drop down menu, trainers, Aces High Bulletin Board, etc.
4. A training squad function.

Is this accurate?

With #4, the US Navy calls this a RAG, or Replenishment Air Group. The idea is the nuggets have learned how to fly the combat plane such as F-18, in the RAG they learn how to fight the plane.

Putting these ideas together I see a really easy environment where 2-weekers get a different color, easy tutorial on how to use VOX, etc, then options for squads to help assimilate them into the community. I am not good enough to be a trainer but I would love to help out with a RAG function, which should not require one to leave their squad.

Did I miss anything? Actually, I really like the AI option though I just summarized what I think would be quick fixes. Maybe the easier function is a bi-weekly Noob mission or scenario. Maybe it is weekly lead through the RAG. If each country has a RAG it would be easy enough to make this happen. Even small 10 v 10 missions would be great tutorials and motivate the 2-weekers. Oh, maybe we should add the whole "alt -f4" thing to the Rules.

Boo

PS If we agree on some of these concepts how do we get them to HT?
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 09:47:15 AM »
A trained division of noobs, flying as a team will smoke any ace 1 v 4...all day long!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »
A real ace would not put himself in a 1 vs 4 situation :airplane:
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Frod

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
Could the "Quick Reference Guide" be made easier to find?   When I started Aces, Olds told me where to find it and life got better ingame.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
Could the "Quick Reference Guide" be made easier to find?   

Should be included in the download and linked in the starting folder as well as on desktop (optional)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
A real ace would not put himself in a 1 vs 4 situation :airplane:

he would put himself in the position to kill all four :aok

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
Could the "Quick Reference Guide" be made easier to find?   When I started Aces, Olds told me where to find it and life got better ingame.
First thing I did when I started AH. :aok

There are a few other simple learning curve issues that shouldn't be to hard to pass to a newbie:
Setting and saving head positions.
Clipboard options (zoom, preferences).
Radio and text options.
Outside (F3) maneuvering in a bomber formation.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
Frustration Maximus:

http://bit.ly/Olex

If you're not "browser savvy" don't click it.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
I'll help those who help themselves. If they won't even read a little to learn then I'll move to the next guy to see if he is more serious about learning the game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
right now we all have "buddies" we like to fly with and " cons" we enjoy fighting, they all started as 2 weekers. The more people we get to be members in good standing the better off we all are. So help them out and tell the putzs that are slagging them off to get a grip. Even if you see them doing something that will clearly end with a BOOM, butt in and help them out, Shuffler did that a few times with me and it really helped.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »
I hope these words or wisdom will be heard at HTC
now posting as SirNuke

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
Speaking of different icons for newbs, when I fist started in the DA, I kept seeing icons turn from Typh to TEMP at d-600,  for weeks I thought that meant they were "Temps"-as in on a 2 week trial, and was happy to suscribe so that my icon wouldnt say TEMP any more.       (so that idea might just work, in just that way, hurry up n join so your icon changes to normal!)   
 :lol
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 03:57:56 AM »
worst idea ever is get all the new guys a different color.  as it is we have guys switching countries to kill goons.  imagine when they see some new guy upping in a base  :rofl.

I am so glad HT doesnt let some of you run his business.  for sure there will be nobody here next month.  :bolt:

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 06:34:47 AM »
I think the idea of a training squad is a great idea. In the 2 years I have played I still consider myself a newb compared to some of you gents. It would go a long way to get folks coming in not only trained as to flying and fighting but help get them into the culture here in a more friendly way.
 I have seen in the last few years a change in the game as I am quite sure happens to any game such as this where the player base changes. The skill level to some degree has dropped abit with all the complaints of the hoeing and picking and such which seem to be on the rise. To this I must say is all of our faults. With little or no real way to learn other than to get in there and do it unless you get lucky and hook up with a good squad or someone who will take the time to teach you, you do what works..IE. Ho or pick or whatever. We as a community need to get these folks and teach them before they learn the bad habits. We need to show them what makes a good fight and what doesn't.
 I think the training corps needs to be expanded and that instead of bashing the new guys ( which so often happens on 200) we take them aside and show them why they died or why what they did was not the proper way to do it. I see how as the player base gets younger how it devolves into every other online line game. 200 should be an indication of this and all of the mess that goes on there.
 If we want the game to evolve and continue to grow then we all need to do our part in getting the new folks in and then giving them a reason to stay and improve thus making our own experiences here better.