Author Topic: 2-week trial players...spin off from Frustration thread  (Read 3062 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: 2-week trial players...spin off from Frustration thread
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
Fuzeman, what about the ideas of a RAG or a drop down of squads that are recruiting newer players? What about having a drop down with designated mini-trainers in the MA? Many of us help when asked but if there were even a simple, formal way of allowing 2-weekers to seek guidance. I've had a few newer pilots ask to join me and watch how I fly. We could even have pilots designated as "two-seaters" in this way.

Just thinking out loud. I think there has to be some way to try and help connect those that need the help with those willing to provide it.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Fuzeman, what about the ideas of a RAG or a drop down of squads that are recruiting newer players? What about having a drop down with designated mini-trainers in the MA? Many of us help when asked but if there were even a simple, formal way of allowing 2-weekers to seek guidance. I've had a few newer pilots ask to join me and watch how I fly. We could even have pilots designated as "two-seaters" in this way.

Just thinking out loud. I think there has to be some way to try and help connect those that need the help with those willing to provide it.

Boo

As it was directed at me, IMO squads change too much for that to be good or accurate, they come they go. I know personally I try to discourage the alt-F4 crap and still help the occasional person. The training-gene doesn't die easily but in my case I'm pretty sure it's on life support.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:22 AM »
i dunno abt you guys... but i have trained a lot of 2 weekers.. the thing is not abt training them which is not a problem.. it is the personal fact that after you teach this dude... he may not wanna subscribe... and all that training was a waste... dun't you think?  :bhead well unless they confirm that they are going to subscribe then i'll help them...but admit it... the alt f4 was funny once! :neener: my squaddie willy928 uses it all the time for toejams and giggles... well i grew up with alt f4s... dun you think the next batch should learn too? then they can do that to the other newbies :rock... isn't AH FUN! :banana:
 well if they do ask for help i do help...
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
 :cheers:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,299766.0.html

As it was directed at me, IMO squads change too much for that to be good or accurate, they come they go. I know personally I try to discourage the alt-F4 crap and still help the occasional person. The training-gene doesn't die easily but in my case I'm pretty sure it's on life support.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »
Fuzeman, can you do me/us a favor, or atleast go with it to see. Allow us to form a RAG and help support it with a couple drop down links. Maybe even allow a symbol next to the callsign of a newbie, maybe up to 6 months. Let's just see what happens.

I have no doubt we can staff the RAG with great volunteers and with even an "*" next to the name we can know when and who to help. I know, bad idea and all but let us try it out. I think it can be done with very little effort on the part of HT and could pay some serious dividends. If we keep 100 players over the course of a year, that's $1,500/mo revenue for HT. Having run small businesses before, that is likely a big chunk of your utility bill each month.

What do you say?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2011, 09:19:52 AM »
Why ask Fuse? He doesn't work for HTC.

There is a training corps in aces High already full of very skilled players.

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
I flew a lot about 5 years ago and recently returned... and my biggest frustration when I tried to restart was trying to get joysticks mapped. I installed the game twice in the past and just gave up. Having some default mappings for the most popular sticks would be useful. I am sure a lot of people try to two week trial and bail because they can never get off the ground.

As for help... no one ever answer a single question I asked on the help channel... and despite trying to register on this board my account was never granted permission to log on and post (using my account from along time ago now)... so the avenues for a new player to get past the two weeks and be successful are pretty grim.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
Do new players get frustrated and quit before their two weeks are up?  Or do they play until their time is up but then don't sign up afterwards?  If the latter, then perhaps extending the trial period to a month would help.  I found learning this game pretty overwhelming back in the late beta days, and I was coming from a flight sim background in AW.  I at least had a long period of free play to adjust to it.

If the former, then HTC might want to consider some optional, hard-coded offline training program for new players which would allow them to download the game and learn some basic skills before even signing up for their trial period.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
That's a little harsh, no?  Last time I looked he's got an extra line of words under his name that you, nor I have.  Although I understand where you're coming from, I don't see the point it blowing it out of proportion.  In theory he is closer to an employee than you are, I am, most of us even. 

Why ask Fuse? He doesn't work for HTC.

There is a training corps in aces High already full of very skilled players.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
I guess I thought "CM Staff" meant something.

Apparently I need to chase down Skuzzy or someone else. It may be a deadend and if so fine but providing a little training to newbies is fun. Doesn't take away from squad activities and improves the whole game, minus those wanting to chalk up kills on the weak. That is fun as well. Love a good moving target practice but in any case...

It is obvious that over the years many have tried hard to assimilate the newer players to varying degree of success. Learning from past efforts is important though new efforts should be applauded. Eventually we will hit on the right formula to maximize retention.

Boo

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Identifying "new" people would be a bad thing no matter how you slice it.  

I don't know, if there was a new player icon or ID tag visible only to friendlies I think players would watch out for them and help them out more.

"Hey new guy, if you want to, you can follow us"

It should be a toggle feature that a new player could opt out of if they chose to.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

It should be a toggle feature that a new player could opt out of if they chose to.

This might be the best idea yet. Those wanting to look for newer players to help can toggle and see them. That should be a very easy add to the game. Now for the RAG.

Boo

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »
Hmm I was thinking the new player could toggle on his newbie beacon, but your idea might work too.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
I wasn't trying to harsh with fuse. I'm a blackberry and try to keep things short.

Boo, you can start a squad and do nothing but train if you want. Each day you log in just scroll through the roster and everyone with a 0 rank and not attached to a squad may be a good candidate. As for pushing things through, Hitech and Pyro are the top dogs, Skuzzy is the tech, and the others are art people. If you need to get something going and you need HTC help email them direct for a better and quicker response. 

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
I gotta admit that I would like a newbie beacon that they can turn off.  I would love to help and having it on would be a "Help me please" sign.  Default to on, when they are comfortable, turn if off whenever they feel like it.
Wag more, bark less.