Author Topic: Defending against the Cicada hordes!  (Read 1185 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Defending against the Cicada hordes!
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
This is a cicada...

It is a fairly large bug, approximately 1.5 to 2 inches in length.  

Where I live, we are suffering through the year of the 13 year Cicada.  These bugs emerge from the ground every 13 years.  They climb into the trees, shed their exoskeleton, open wings...  A few days later, the males of the species begin trying to attract a mate, which is done with a buzzing/chirping call.  They are able to fly, but aren't very good at it and tend to ram things a lot.

Problem is, there are quite literally millions upon millions of these things.  If you have never experienced cicadas like this, let me just tell you that the buzzing calls of millions of cicadas is enormously loud.  Fortunately, they only last about 5 weeks, and they quit their infernal noise making when the sun goes down.

Anyway, today I mowed my lawn.  Apparently, a Craftsman 6.75hp lawn mower engine makes sounds like sweet love to these bugs.  I was getting swarmed!  Fortunately, the bugs don't sting or bite, but because they are so large and tend to crash/ram into things, it was like getting pelted with small stones.  Annoying more then anything.

My 8 year old daughter and a friend of hers were playing inside.  I went in and asked them if they wanted to defend me against the evil Cicada horde while I mowed.  They were willing to volunteer for the hazardous duty!

I equipped each of them with a badminton racquet.  

As I mowed, the two little girls had a blast running around the yard whacking the bugs as fast as they could.  It was hilarious to watch.  I couldn't help drawing the comparison to defending against the horde in Aces High.  

When I finished, I told them that they were the best two little wirbles I had seen in quite some time.  They just gave me a blank stare.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:19:11 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Defending against the Cicada hordes!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
 :rofl  :lol wait until they repeat the words little wirble..."what's a wirble mommy?"  :headscratch:

i always thought cicadas were cool...it's a very good thing they don't bite or sting.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »
:rofl  :lol wait until they repeat the words little wirble..."what's a wirble mommy?"  :headscratch:

i always thought cicadas were cool...it's a very good thing they don't bite or sting.

:rofl

You probably get the 17 year cicadas up there in the Dairyland.  I'm in the center of Illinois and we are on the northern edge of this variety of 13 year cicadas. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
ya, i think the last swarm was in 07...between those things and "june bugs" it was difficult keeping the front of the car clean.

i've seen small numbers even in none swarm years...must be some overlapping years with smaller populations.
jarhed  

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Where I am in Indiana we get some-odd-year cicadas every damn year.  I do not remember any year without them.  And its not 5 weeks long, its more like the entire summer.  Collectively the swarm of them sounds like tinnitus, the ringing in the ear you get after hearing loud noises.  Last cicada season I saw a drug ad on TV that was supposed to help with tinnitus, and I just laughed and thought to myself, if me taking that drug causes every cicada in earshot from me to die, then I'll buy it no problem.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
I hate all bugs, But I love spiders  :D

Not sure If we have them in Georgia, if its 13 years then I wouldn't know  :lol
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
Where I am in Indiana we get some-odd-year cicadas every damn year.  I do not remember any year without them.  And its not 5 weeks long, its more like the entire summer.  Collectively the swarm of them sounds like tinnitus, the ringing in the ear you get after hearing loud noises.  Last cicada season I saw a drug ad on TV that was supposed to help with tinnitus, and I just laughed and thought to myself, if me taking that drug causes every cicada in earshot from me to die, then I'll buy it no problem.

Here, there are so many and they are so loud, that it gets almost painful at times.  

We're about 3 weeks into the cycle.  I read that, soon the adults will lay the eggs in the trees.  When they hatch a few days later the pupa fall to the ground and burrow down to spend the next 13 years feeding on the tree roots.

We see a few every year, but nothing like what we are having this year.  It's really quite amazing, in a "I'll be glad when it is over" kind of way.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
Not sure If we have them in Georgia, if its 13 years then I wouldn't know  :lol

This site has some maps that show where the broods are in what years they emerge.

http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html#broodchart

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Haven't had a swarm in a good while here, but we do have a few cicadas every year.  I remember before I bought my house I came home to my rental late one night from work.  Opened the front door to the dining room (which used to be a porch) and flicked on the light (a porch light) and apparently a lone cicada had slipped in the house.  Getting buzzbombed by a cicada at 1am is quite the tramatic experience.  I caught the poor guy and let him loose outside.  Then I changed my shorts.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
Someone needs to start a dweeb squad and call it the Cicadas.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »
See, this has potential. You could record the sound of your lawnmower engine.

Then get cheap speakers and a playback device.

Activate the kit in the yard of whatever neighbor pisses you off the most... and enjoy.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »

Brilliant!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
would it have to be a dweeb squad, or just a squad of annoying people?
jarhed  

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »
would it have to be a dweeb squad, or just a squad of annoying people?

a squeaker squad
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline iron650

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
Get tiny bug spray cans and spray? I know candles of some sort do keep those bugs away...