Author Topic: Due to  the current economic downturn...  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Due to  the current economic downturn...
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
Welcome to Australia.

Our internet only providers cap our bandwidth (download AND upload) according to the package you sign up for.

I pay $69 a month for cable internet (no tv) and I get 150gig (75gb on-peak and 75gb off-peak (Peak = between 12pm and 12am, Off-peak = 12am to 12pm))

All of that includes my uploads, so if I'm downloading torrents I have to restrict my uploads or I effectively halve my 'downloads'.

Our internet is absolute crap compared to the US.

Of course it is.  You people are all decendants of prisoners and should be happy you are even allowed to connect to the rest of the planet.

Hehehe.

Actually lovely country you have there.  Would love to visit.

:salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 04:21:45 AM »
Of course it is.  You people are all decendants of prisoners and should be happy you are even allowed to connect to the rest of the planet.

Hehehe.

Actually lovely country you have there.  Would love to visit.

:salute

Hahaha.

It's not too bad down here.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
I've always felt a certain kinship to the Australians, they being descended from people the English did not want, myself being descended that did not want the English.

Also I am from Texas, which like Australia, has an infernally hot and dry climate that makes it a seemingly mad place for people originating in the British Isles to settle.

Alas, I am afraid that Australia has a slight advantage. Whereas we both have salamanderly plants, salamanderly lizards, poisonous snakes and toxic invertebrates, Australia also has GIANT LIZARDS. Makes me green with envy. Oh well, perhaps having oil makes up for it.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
Australia also has GIANT LIZARDS. Makes me green with envy. 

Well if it is big lizards you're after...  You should visit Japan!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
Australia is a beautiful country.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl

Offline 1ybuzz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »
500 dollars on a full CH set too.......

And another 100 for the Dremel Tool to turn it all into a left handed set and pray you dont screw it up  :pray
Who is John Galt ?

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 06:27:52 PM »
Okay, we're trying to explain player number decline in terms of an economic downturn, but how likely is it that $15 dollars a month is breaking anyone? You'd almost think player numbers would go UP because sitting at home and playing Aces High is so damn cheap.

My job got the axe with the federal budget passing.  I'm sure there are those out there on this BBS who will be happy to hear about my own personal misfortune, and state that I was a drag on our economy in any case, with my "outrageously draining" $30K GS-5 federal research job. At least I was involved in some promising preliminary cancer research that might actually do some good for the world. As it is, I am surviving on a part time privately funded project and my savings scratched together over the past 5 years to attempt to buy a home.  I must also postpone my doctoral work indefinitely, less than a year from my thesis defense.  I am lucky enough to have saved what I did, when I did, but it appears my mid 30's will be quite different than they seemed.   

I'm closing my AH account this month.  Work before play, and that's all there is to it. Until I have another full time job, none of my savings is going towards any sort of frivolity, AH included.  Friends of mine have been out of work in my field for a year now...I must be prepared for exactly the same, or more.  Every job opening in my field is currently awash in applicants.  I was lucky enough to be working for this long, as it is.  When I'm not working, I'm looking and applying for something full time.....there is no such thing as "free" time when your bank account is marching towards zero.

<S>
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 08:06:35 AM »
My job got the axe with the federal budget passing.  I'm sure there are those out there on this BBS who will be happy to hear about my own personal misfortune, and state that I was a drag on our economy in any case, with my "outrageously draining" $30K GS-5 federal research job. At least I was involved in some promising preliminary cancer research that might actually do some good for the world. As it is, I am surviving on a part time privately funded project and my savings scratched together over the past 5 years to attempt to buy a home.  I must also postpone my doctoral work indefinitely, less than a year from my thesis defense.  I am lucky enough to have saved what I did, when I did, but it appears my mid 30's will be quite different than they seemed.   

I'm closing my AH account this month.  Work before play, and that's all there is to it. Until I have another full time job, none of my savings is going towards any sort of frivolity, AH included.  Friends of mine have been out of work in my field for a year now...I must be prepared for exactly the same, or more.  Every job opening in my field is currently awash in applicants.  I was lucky enough to be working for this long, as it is.  When I'm not working, I'm looking and applying for something full time.....there is no such thing as "free" time when your bank account is marching towards zero.

<S>

Give MercK a call.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
Australia is a beautiful country.

Ya ... unfortunately everything is freaking poisonous or venomous. Australia is Gods toxic dumping grounds. You have box jellies, Irukandji Jellies, Blue Ring Octopuses, Stone fish, sea snakes and poisonous sea cone snails in the water. the worlds deadliest spider the funnel web and one of the deadliest variants of the black widow ...the red back. You have the inchman and Jack jumper ant whose toxin  has a tendency to induce anaphylaxis. You have Brown, tiger, and the famous Taipan snakes. It was Australia that revolutionized herpetology by showing that venomous lizards are actually much more widespread than thought (Up to then only the Americas were thought to have venomous lizards) Heck Australia has the worlds only venomous mammal to humans ... the Platypus. I'm not going to touch on the Salt water crocks. There is a reason Australia was colonized with criminals!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:01:07 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
There is a reason Australia was colonized with criminals!

Ouch.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline longtime

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Nancy Pelosi?

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »
Nancy Pelosi?

Close Resemblance but it's not her. Maybe a close relative?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
Ya ... unfortunately everything is freaking poisonous or venomous. Australia is Gods toxic dumping grounds. You have box jellies, Irukandji Jellies, Blue Ring Octopuses, Stone fish, sea snakes and poisonous sea cone snails in the water. the worlds deadliest spider the funnel web and one of the deadliest variants of the black widow ...the red back. You have the inchman and Jack jumper ant whose toxin  has a tendency to induce anaphylaxis. You have Brown, tiger, and the famous Taipan snakes. It was Australia that revolutionized herpetology by showing that venomous lizards are actually much more widespread than thought (Up to then only the Americas were thought to have venomous lizards) Heck Australia has the worlds only venomous mammal to humans ... the Platypus. I'm not going to touch on the Salt water crocks. There is a reason Australia was colonized with criminals!

you forgot the most venomous snake in the world, the fierce snake,  as a matter of fact Australia has 7 out of 10 of the worlds deadliest snakes :O

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2011, 06:04:36 PM »
Dollars add up and entertainment, no matter how cost effective on a per hour basis, is usually the first thing cut from a stressed budget.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-