Author Topic: Yak-9U  (Read 1591 times)

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
Yak-9U
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
All, I've discovered what a little gem the 9U is and would like to know some tips on how to fly it more effectively. Besides "keep it fast", what else should I pay attention too?

So far I've learned the visability is great, as well as the climb rate and acceleration. I can deal with the light ammo load, as a full tank of gas will run out about the same time as the bullets for me. She even seems to turn great too (over 250mph)

Biggest problem...can't hit anything...lots of assists, but few kills. Help?
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Yak-9U
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
fly a plane with more/better guns.i think the only plane with less guns are the D3A1 Val
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
fly a plane with more/better guns.i think the only plane with less guns are the D3A1 Val

OH ya that's going to help him do better in the Yak  :rolleyes:

The trick is learning the guns. Use the target command to check the drop and speed of the round, then concentrate on setting up your shots by pulling the nose to get the lead and then get your wings in line with his flight path setting up a crossing shot. The acceleration is great for getting you out of trouble.

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »
OH ya that's going to help him do better in the Yak  :rolleyes:

The trick is learning the guns. Use the target command to check the drop and speed of the round, then concentrate on setting up your shots by pulling the nose to get the lead and then get your wings in line with his flight path setting up a crossing shot. The acceleration is great for getting you out of trouble.

well he said not the "keep it fast"

but i would love to see a good yak pilot out there
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »
I used to fly the 9U quite a bit but haven't for a long time.  I will tell you this; I've flown and dog fought with a 9U in a more damaged state than I have in any other plane.  They take a licking and keep on ticking.  After two or three kills one night I was still fighting with a broken wing, lost aileron, lost elevator, one lost gun, engine smoking, fuel tank leaking and still got another kill.  Simply an amazing amount of damage to still be able to fight through.

Set your convergences to about 2/3 of what you're used to and get close.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:03:13 AM »

Guns are adequate, assuming you can shoot in the first place. Last tour, I shot down a Lancaster and 2 B-26s, and still had some MG ammo left. I didn't fly it much, but shot down 17 for no losses. Heck, wasn't even pinged.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »
9U is awesome plane, arguably the most underrated in the game. (Including the 109G2, the P-47 family and the 190A5)  One month I decided to fly it simply to make  myself a better shooter in other rides.  With so few bullets to spit you become very conscious of shot setup vice the shooting itself.  It is a survivalist assassin among fighters not a meat grinder like the 47.  

I flew it intermittently over the course of a month.  When I checked my stats toward the end of the month the other rides were all decent 3 to 5-1 K/D but the Yak was sitting pretty at 53-0!  I was shocked!  Checking the stats jinxed me though, couple sorties later I collided with the severed wing of my B-24 victim...

Vs. American rides play the angles game, the Yak will turn inside any U.S. fighter (Wilcat excluded) before flaps become a factor.  When the flaps comes out, you should have kept a little E in reserve and take the fight vertical. This is especially important against the Corsair family since they have an uber tight turn with flaps out.  If you bleed the U.S. fighters of their E and get their flaps popped out they will be wallowing under you asking for a nice easy close range shot in short order.  Running down lone jugs or hogs is great fun.  Even a jinking pony can be overtaken.  Usually some kind of scissors is the defense- just chop throttle, throw in rudder, lag them a little and wait for a shot.  Once slowed only the 38 will have an advantage out of the blocks and even then the advantage will be minimal and temporary.  Pick one wing or the other and keep giving it little squirts as the American iron flops around. (Cockpit works great too but is harder)

Vs Spits, BnZ tactics are best.  Come in level behind with a minimum of deflection and a good bit of overtake (I set my convergence at 200), I normally aim at the left wing root. The reasoning here is that the wing root is weak (same for jugs, B-24s) and if you miss they will probably jerk away from your tracers.  Collision is a concern in this plane- don't press between the cheeks.  After they jerk away and acquire you, take your slight offset to the left and gently pull into the vertical .  If you're lucky the spit will make a 45 deg turn of greater to the left after you and attempt to climb up your tail. You should see 400-600 and a plus sign at this point with tracers.  Continue your gentle left handed spiral pulling just enough to keep their solution off.  If they are getting a solution and you are running out of E, put your wingtip on him to minimize your profile and pull a little more.  When the spit teeters out 600 below you, if your wingtip is on him, throw in some left rudder...

190s deserve special mention.  Don't bother shooting straight at the 6 of a 190 that knows you're there.  They are too slippery, too small in profile and too tough.  Your bullets will go much farther on spits.

Start fights around 10k if you can and keep your escape heading in mind.  This is important in the Yak since in many situations you will have more enemies than bullets.  As the fight drops lower and or you run out of bullets/find yourself very much defensive, consider kicking out the bottom of your defensive spiral at ~6k pointing home.  Why 6k?  Look at the Yak's speed performance chart.  You are maximizing your speed advantage over anything that can turn inside you at that altitude.  Treat the 6k like it's ground level and you will cut your deaths by 10% right there. Even if the enemy is still overtaking (as might be the case with the K-4 or La-7) you are still maximizing your speed and hence shortening the time to get towards friendlies with bullets.  

In closing: Know the performance of the entire planeset.  The Yak has some notable advantage over 98% of opponents.  This plane generally out-turns anything it can't outrun. (Light 4-Hog possible exception) The Yak can engage anything in the mid-range of performance with confidence but the extremes are still troublesome IE the Brew and K4. The Brew is only a problem if you slow down, so don't if there's one in the area.  The K4 can run you down at any alt and the tater is deadly when you get into a scissors. (Which they are usually better at than Ponies)  Once slowed, he has as much of an E advantage over you as you did vs the American rides.  You are more stable than him in a tight turn but it all depends- be sure to turn right!  Past my bedtime...good luck and congrats on finding a gem!   :salute
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:18:01 AM »
Guns are adequate

Agreed.  Set your convergence to 200-250 yards, close to that distance before shooting.

One of the useful things to remember about both Yaks is that they turn noticeably better to the right than to the left.  So try to keep the fight turning up and to the right.

Climb on the 9U is very good, it's quite fast and it rolls well.  Someone once said that you can think of the 9U as a plane that's always on WEP.  I find that a comfortable thought.

Don't bother with the flaps, they won't help you except to get that last bit of lead on your target.

- oldman

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
Sounds like your main problem is the guns. If you are a lousy shot like me, the only way to compensate is to give up all low probability shots and save the ammo for high quality close range shots - at close range the 12mm will hit together with the cannon making a short burst much more effective.

Also people underestimate the range of the yak. Take 100%, the Russians use a standard 750 ml Vodka bottle as gas tanks, so extra 25% is not that much weight (its not P47N!). Cruise on reduced throttle and RPM - the plane is fast enough even at "normal" setting and the range increase considerably.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »

but i would love to see a good yak pilot out there

There's quite a few, actually. Back in the day, NB (No Baddy...guy who designed Trinity) was hell on wheels in both  the Yaks.

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »

Vs. American rides play the angles game, the Yak will turn inside any U.S. fighter (Wilcat excluded) 

You must be flying a differant yak than i do (and i dont mean the  9t) ive been flying yak 9u for years
 and ive never turned inside any american  plane with the  possible exception of p47 and p38. Do have
 anu films.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »
My best 1 vs 1 was in a Yak 9U vs P-51 D.  Once up to speed It acts like a Zero on steroids...

:aok Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »

Vs. American rides play the angles game, the Yak will turn inside any U.S. fighter (Wilcat excluded) 

You must be flying a differant yak than i do (and i dont mean the  9t) ive been flying yak 9u for years
 and ive never turned inside any american  plane with the  possible exception of p47 and p38. Do have
 anu films.

I stand by my assertion. Sadly no films, I've just renewed my sub and haven't bothered keeping such golden moments around- it only makes me want to renew my sub...  :headscratch:
I will point you to this though: http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

I also think the AKUAG site has a comparison tool though I'm not sure if their data was independently derived or not- either way worth a look imho.
Last, a simple comparison of wing loading gives a good relative turn radius estimate. Yes, I know the Hellcat can be in the same ballpark, but even if at a similar loading the Yak is still faster, has slightly better roll, is smaller, has better climb/acceleration enabling a high yo-yo as a tie breaker :salute
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
Oh Trikky and Fariz where have you gone?  this guy needs a Yak FPH!!!!  on the double.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
Oh Trikky and Fariz where have you gone?  this guy needs a Yak FPH!!!!  on the double.

please do not feed midway
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART