Author Topic: To all the GV haters  (Read 1531 times)

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Re: To all the GV haters
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
Some people just don't like change.

I don't mind change. But going to automatic transmission was a fix without a problem.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »
Do you drive your car solely with your cruise control buttons?
The cars that park themselves, coupled with the sonar detection and laser guided cruise control systems that are getting more popular....
Just saying  :D

I want to be able to use my stick in the commanders position again.. :joystick:
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
GV's now are slugs on any incline, how in the heck do you keep it in one gear while climbing a hill without it shifting to another gear and stopping all your momentum, is there some trick to it, real stupid not to be able to select a lower gear, even an automatic transmission has the option to Manuel shift for Hills or pulling heavy loads, why dumb it down?
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
GV's now are slugs on any incline, how in the heck do you keep it in one gear while climbing a hill without it shifting to another gear and stopping all your momentum, is there some trick to it, real stupid not to be able to select a lower gear, even an automatic transmission has the option to Manuel shift for Hills or pulling heavy loads, why dumb it down?

Shift W and S are max or stop respectively, If on the other hand you hit W and let go, you stay in the gear you let go in. IE Press it and it gets up to second gear when you release, thats where it stays until you enter another command. Same works for downshift.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Don't like the new GV controls. Bring back the manual transmission. We don't need a driver position to do this. Gear changes appear on screen. Also miss being able to zoom in when at the gunners position. Enemy GV's look too small. I liked seeing my rounds hit the enemy and watching his turret blow off.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
Enemy GV's look too small. I liked seeing my rounds hit the enemy and watching his turret blow off.

Use a Tiger, Panther or Sherman VC :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
All that stuff to remember while in the heat of a battle hmmmm that sounds so much easier than just selecting the gear you want (old way) and use your throttle to move and adjust your speed (old way) in 28 years i never did see WASD keys while operating equipment.  man i could go on about Heavy Equipment that's my passion,  My grandfather owned a Military surplus/ Heavy Equipment yard it was amazing growing up as a Kid there  :)
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
Sure but we never had a manual transmission. I'd say any day that stick is better than automatic but what we had before was not a true manual, we did not have a clutch, throttle, and we could not just switch on the wear we wanted (had to do it in order).
True. A bit nit-picky perhaps, but true. They were more versatile before however.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »
My biggest problem with the setup is slowing down/maneuvering hills and trees. Old way you could pull back on the stick, which acted like braking. New setup, you hit the toggle till you find some mid range speed between gears. :rolleyes:  More keyboard/toggle work while being shot at or bombed. :banana:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:39:30 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
My biggest problem with the setup is slowing down/maneuvering hills and trees. Old way you could pull back on the stick, which acted like braking. New setup, you hit the toggle till you find some mid range speed between gears. :rolleyes:  More keyboard/toggle work while being shot at or bombed. :banana:

Since some folks do not have sticks we are all required to use the kb. Lowest common denominator. Just be glad they have not decided all flight should be lowered too. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
Since some folks do not have sticks we are all required to use the kb. Lowest common denominator. Just be glad they have not decided all flight should be lowered too. :)

I would think that if someone cant afford a 15-30 dollar joystick of some sort, they cant afford the 15 bucks a month to play the game.

There was nothing wrong with the gv's in the first place that needed fixed.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 11:23:44 PM »
I don't hate them, just love bombing them.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »
Just be glad they have not decided all flight should be lowered too

Have you heard any guarantees this won't happen?  I wouldn't worry until you see "game controller" in the list of options though.

If the change to gvs was solely about moving the game to a joystick free world then so be it.  For myself, it just took away another part of the game I enjoyed.  Poor me.  They keep doing that.  No matter.  It must be getting in and retaining thousands of customers though, or surely they wouldn't keep doing it?
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »
I would think that if someone cant afford a 15-30 dollar joystick of some sort, they cant afford the 15 bucks a month to play the game.

If you have a requirement to have a certain, very uncommon piece of equipment to enjoy or even just to try out a game, you are drastically cutting your chances to get new customers. No matter if they could "afford" it or not, they are not bothering to go out and buy a joystick (for which they do not have any other use) just to see if this game is fun in any way.
The gamer demographics (and don't forget: we all are gamers) has changed a lot in the past 20 years. And if AH doesn't adapt to these changes, it will go down. And AH is not just a game. It's also a business.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
What's a GV?
A bread bin with tracks and a turret
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez