Author Topic: To all the GV haters  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
To all the GV haters
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:18:53 AM »
JG 52

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: To all the GV haters
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
Was not aware we had people who hated GVs, if anyone did not like them they could just stick to aircraft.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »
Was not aware we had people who hated GVs, if anyone did not like them they could just stick to aircraft.

Quite a few still voice that opinion about how bad the new GV controls are, exactly what is different? You start with engine on and hit shift + W for auto drive, you simply move your rudders to turn.

Still not understanding this massive hate when GV'ing suddenly became simplified.
JG 52

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
Some tanks can no longer climb the same hills they used to.

No fun when you drive 2 sectors to the city and can't climb in as you did just a few weeks earlier.

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
What's a GV?

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »

No fun when you drive 2 sectors to the city and can't climb in as you did just a few weeks earlier.
I thought you could still manually shift if need be?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »

I agree the T-34 is quite known not to be able to climb a hill, I wonder if there's a reason for this if not for historical purposes.
JG 52

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
Quite simply there are a few things you could do with the manual transmissions that you can no longer do.  I for one lament the fact it changed.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

No negative waves from me.  The tanks manage themselves.  I've not ever had an issue with the tanks being any slower up hill vs if they were manual.

Some fellas simply cant adjust, accept that the arcade style gv game is gone, and LEARN how to manage.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
icepac:

I haven't tried it recently, but before you could climb most hills by putting it in reverse. With little regard to the slope, if First gear wouldn't let you, you just backed up the hill. Use to do that in canyons and climb the 5-6k side walls. You know, the ones that are almost vertical? It did take some time and practice tho because any deviation left or right could send you rolling down the side.  :x
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
I really have a hard time with the new controls.  I also do not get why i can't climb a 5-10 degree hill from a flat rolling 25mph.  :confused:  I then spend the next minute trying to turn, back up, turn, forward etc...

It's hard to accept change, but there's got to be something to this issue on the hills...
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
I really have a hard time with the new controls.  I also do not get why i can't climb a 5-10 degree hill from a flat rolling 25mph.  :confused:  I then spend the next minute trying to turn, back up, turn, forward etc...

It's hard to accept change, but there's got to be something to this issue on the hills...

You mean the same 5-10 degree hills that used to stop you dead when you hit them at full speed? Like the berms on the edges of roads?

Film or it didn't happen.

Things I've noticed:

You cannot reverse up a hill in a Tiger or Panther. The "pivot" is in a forward gear so every time you try to steer in reverse you stop.

GV's fly really good now. Hit a rise at the wrong angle at speed and over you go. Turtle.

GV's will still go 120mph down a good slope, in gear.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »
Quite a few still voice that opinion about how bad the new GV controls are, exactly what is different? You start with engine on and hit shift + W for auto drive, you simply move your rudders to turn.

Still not understanding this massive hate when GV'ing suddenly became simplified.

Some people just don't like change.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »
Quite simply there are a few things you could do with the manual transmissions that you can no longer do.  I for one lament the fact it changed.

Sure but we never had a manual transmission. I'd say any day that stick is better than automatic but what we had before was not a true manual, we did not have a clutch, throttle, and we could not just switch on the wear we wanted (had to do it in order).
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
Some fellas simply cant adjust, accept that the arcade style gv game is gone, and LEARN how to manage.

That's funny: the GV controls change from analog to ASWD pushbuttons and you say "arcade style" is gone?  More like it's arcade style now.  In fact, four buttons laid out in a cross configuration is exactly like an arcade game.  ;)

Plus, why do you assume that those who lament the loss of control have not already LEARNed how to adapt?  Just because we've adapted doesn't mean we like it, or that it's realistic, or that you have as fine control as before in positioning your tank.  Do you drive your car solely with your cruise control buttons?

My opinion is that it is pointless to complain because there is no going back.  They want the GV'er to have the ability to drive and shoot at the same time.  That means that one or the other has to be compromised and you certainly wouldn't want to aim the gun using coarse key press control.