Author Topic: Staff memebers who actually play?  (Read 673 times)

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Staff memebers who actually play?
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
So with the changes being done by the staff to create a "better" AVA how many actually fly or play the game? My roll call...

Mister Fork                 Seen playing
soda72                      Seen a few times
captain1ma (Jaeger1) Seen all the time
Oldman731                If The real Old man? most of the time
Slash27                     Seen a few times
1Duke1                     MIA
B4Buster                   MIA
Panzzer                     Never
Shifty                        Most of the time
USRanger                  Most of the time
NrRaven                    Most of the time

After all I pay my 14.95 a month, if your changing and making descisions for the rest us and on the staff you MUST be playing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:10:26 PM by 1azbaer »

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
Re: Staff memebers who actually play?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »
How many times do you have to get on in order to take a nice little poll or get some feedback?
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
After all I pay my 14.95 a month

You have a good point and it's never a bad idea to remind the staff of that. Bear in mind your debate in the other thread was not with a staff member. I'm not sure specifically what you're upset about.
Yes Jimson is trying a system based on getting bomber guys something to do that allows them to achieve goals. Fighters have not been taken out of the equation and can be upped as freely as any other setup so as not to hender the guys that want to the usual air to air fighting. Is there something that's been overlooked thats detracting from the normal air to air fighting?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
One of my problems is that I work five nights a week and can't ignore the family the other two nights.

Day time is when I have more time to fly, but I usually don't bother to log in to the MA which is the only place where there are people. So I don't fly that much but when I do it's in AvA

The ones you mention that aren't active in the arena are not very active on staff either. Most of the active members are active AvA flyers.

As far as your other post, I don't feel that you were ridiculed. You seemed to say that when you were there all the strats were already porked and I just pointed out that that wasn't the case.
It's Ok that you don't agree with the setup but some of the points you made didn't apply here.

For one thing it was set up for the map to last no longer than the regular week and could have been changed by the players themselves by meeting the objectives in less than a week.

As far as numbers, the air to air kills were higher than the previous week but numbers have been way down all spring.

In this particular concept we didn't remove the dog fight, in fact that was one of the victory criteria, number of kills.

We added something else, a strategic reason to do other things, something that is a little different than what you would find in the MA.

I am aware that other war set ups have been done. This one was a little different in that it was less structured, ran 7 days a week and didn't interfere with those who simply wanted to dogfight.

I don't see the big problem.

I don't expect others to always agree with me but I personally don't think a limited plane set dueling only arena is a recipe for success.

I'm not much interested in flying Jets or biplanes, that's fine for others, but I am into the WW2 thing and not the Spit vs Spit, Mustang vs Corsair experience.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:38:14 PM by jimson »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »
I wouldnt worry about it jimson....... you doing a heck of a job trying to throw some life into the AvsA...... you do not have to respond with any type of defensive reasoning......

nice post, Shifty  :aok

hope to get a chance to check out this new war action setup I've been reading about now that I got a PC to play on again

:cheers:

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:04:12 AM »
That's true TC and thanks.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:38:31 AM »
TC,

Nice job with Rolex last night.  I thoroughly enjoyed the clinic, and filmed a good portion of it in sections.  A lot of what was discussed there applies very much to the AvA.  Most of what goes on here is somewhat of a cartoon representative of WW2 matchups.  Rolex's explanation of the decision making process when matching different types of aircraft in different situations is exactly the meat for the potatoes that a historically inspired arena could hope to present:  Classic matchups (we know them when we have flown in some)  But listening to Rolex I got a better feel for what makes them a good match and how to exploit every available tool in the box of tricks.

1Azbeer,

The drop in numbers in the arena, might have something to do with real life taking over free time.  This is frustrating to all that love to support the arena for whatever reasons.  One thing that does impact the numbers in the AvA is an empty arena.  Take 2 or 3 guys in there anytime of day, hang around for 30 minutes and u will see that pretty soon you have some geniune interest in the arena, and mostly from folks that have never flown there before.  I work nights, so I used to do it quite often.  As far as staff members go, they have all devoted way more time to the arena than anyone has a clue.  I don't mind not seeing the not so frequent flyers that you mentioned (because they pwnd me terribly when they do fly).  :D  These guys, everyone of them, volunteer time and energy in ways that only those amoung them would understand.  So if I personally have made you feel uncomfortable, by suggesting that you were maybe looking to load up on perks for bombing a strat, I do appologize.  Also, as Shifty said, I am not a staff member, I just happen to know most of them and think they are doing one heck of a job.  I am wrong about lots of things, so it is no surprise that I possibly mischarecterized you as someone who wasn't aware of the objectives.  I didn't even take into account that you may have been playing at a time when damage to strats may have been purposely turned off. 

So, the bottom line 1Azbeer, please feel free to give your input, and I will try and figure a way to keep my foot out of my mouth.  :salute

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »
Just saying if you are on the staff you need to playing, you need to be seen.  I know we all dont play every day, cause of real life but some one should see you in the game at least a few times a week. How else would you know what works and what doesnt?

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
The staffers that you listed as never seen are kept on the staff for advisory purposes if needed. They no longer run setups or perform actual staff duties. I'm giving you the exact same answer I received when I asked the exact same question when I signed on. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
Thanks,  I was just wondering