Author Topic: omg cactus more 109s  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Re: omg cactus more 109s
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
and the good skinners put very little emphasis on rivets. their attention as they gain more understanding and ability is to detail the actual areas around the rivets and panels and details in a way that mimics actual aircraft.

paint what you see and not what your mind tells you is there.

flush rivets on the good skins are very subtle.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
good 3d pic of rivet pattern and deformation on the left wing of this 109 as viewed from the cockpit cactus :D

http://virtuaalikuvat.com/jamiflyin/?p=0&t=2

Oh you'll have to be faster than that. I had already taken a screenshot of it two days ago. :D I think it's a G6?

I think the buldginess appears greater here because of it being a HDR photo and the angle that the light is hitting the wing. That's exactly what I like to see in a reference photo if I'm looking for rivets though. Not so I can skin it exactly as the photo depicts, but so the rivet locations can be seen clearly and I can place them as accurately as possible.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
and the good skinners put very little emphasis on rivets. their attention as they gain more understanding and ability is to detail the actual areas around the rivets and panels and details in a way that mimics actual aircraft.

paint what you see and not what your mind tells you is there.

flush rivets on the good skins are very subtle.

Like this?  Please comment on it - I thought it was a photo when I first glanced at it.   Does FSX support higher resolution bitmaps than AH2?  Or is there something more realistic about the lighting in FSX?

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
Oh my, Oboe's been posting that everwhere  :uhoh

Anyway, not only does the bitmap resolution seem higher (I only run 1024 I think, so who am I to judge), but you should notice the reflection on the glass, the quality of the modeling inside the cockpit, and also some of the reflected light from the mirror and on the unpainted metal where the left wing meets the fuselage and at the base of the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer. And of course the model seems to be of a much higher polygon count.

Look at the nose cone on the prop, ours are not that round. And look at the attachment point under the wing, and some of the small details on the roof of the cockpit. And I think the most important thing is it's rendered at a higher resolution than I've seen in AH, if any high-horsepower players beg to differ, please do. All the lines are very smooth and the wire is fine as hell.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »
Yeah, I think that's 3 (or 4?).  A real beautiful skin does that to me!   :O

Thanks for showing it, Gnucks!

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »
Like this?  Please comment on it - I thought it was a photo when I first glanced at it.   Does FSX support higher resolution bitmaps than AH2?  Or is there something more realistic about the lighting in FSX?

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't know about that P-51, but the FSX P-47 I fly uses a 4096x4096 texture map and it's a .dds rather than .bmp. It also has a bump map, reflection map, normal map, all that jazz. Plus many more polys for the model than ours have.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
I don't know about that P-51, but the FSX P-47 I fly uses a 4096x4096 texture map and it's a .dds rather than .bmp. It also has a bump map, reflection map, normal map, all that jazz. Plus many more polys for the model than ours have.
What is fsx?
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:30 AM »
most people are unable or unwilling to put forth the effort required to do this and to justify their ability or attitude they say its stupid.

I hope that's not aimed at me. I wasn't suggesting it is stupid or anything, simply that I think it's way overdone and overly relied upon as frivolous detail for the sake of adding noise. I think there are better ways, and those include the methods you already covered (as well as others).

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 01:30:20 AM »
What is fsx?

Microsoft Flight Simulator X, or so I'm lead to believe.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
Plus many more polys for the model than ours have.
That. Microsoft has endless money to draw poligones...
AoM
City of ice

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 06:34:25 AM »
Let's see a screenshot of your Jug, Cactuskooler.

In FSX, are you the only a/c flying around in an empty but real-life map of the world area?   No other pilots online, no shooting or damage possible to a/c?  I suppose if they don't have to worry about the complexity of multiple planes and players and combat, they can devote alot of resources to the player's plane?

How is the flight model?

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
I'm going to post in here because I want all updates automatically on this gripping thread - expecially the answer to this latest question. I'd surmise as much as Oboe as well - if you don't have to worry about communicating that kind of detail to multiple interactive plyers, supporting that kind of detail is probably not so taxing.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
In FSX, are you the only a/c flying around in an empty but real-life map of the world area?

You can increase the AI traffic, but you're mostly alone when offline. It gets busier around airports.

No other pilots online, no shooting or damage possible to a/c?

You can fly online with others. I've only done it a few times though. If I remember right, other players can only see your custom plane if they too have it installed. There's no shooting.

I suppose if they don't have to worry about the complexity of multiple planes and players and combat, they can devote alot of resources to the player's plane?

I reckon so, and you still need a much heftier computer to run FSX than AH. I bet it would be virtually unplayable if you were online with 20+ other planes of this detail all in the same area. I have to play at a lower resolution with some of the details turned down and I still get a low FPS, and I still have to avoid the more congested and detailed airports. I can run AH with everything full, at huge resolutions, and still maintain a top FPS. Air combat is a lot less fun with a low FPS.

How is the flight model?

I'm not knowledgeable enough about such things to give a credible answer, but I think it's pretty poor. The good news is that 3rd party add-ons, like this P-47 and that P-51, can be coded with their own rather than relying on some default FSX flight envelope. I'm very happy with how the P-47 flies and feels, but I really dislike how the default planes fly when you try and push the limits.

A2A Simulation's P-47
Truly beautiful inside and out. Of course your guns don't work, but every other button does. I play FSX when I need my button pushing fix. I'm one of the weirdos that would love to have an option for a long drawn out start-up, mixture, cowl flaps, etc. That would drive away the other 99% of players here though. :)

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
 :O  :huh  :aok Man I wish I still had FSX, and knew how to get custom planes on it.
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
nice 39th fs 47d skin
 :cheers:
TBs Sounds