Author Topic: Roll Rate..  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Roll Rate..
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:50:04 AM »
"Getting out of phase" is important when you have someone on your six following your every move. He may be able to turn better, but that won't mean anything if he can't turn in the right direction in time. By timing your direction changes, and being careful not to fly in front of his guns, you can get farther and farther away from his nose.

Staying out of his guns requires a LOT of experience on both ends of the fight so you can know where your opponent can and can't put his nose right now, so you can just keep flying to where he can't.

I hope you can understand that and I don't end up looking like a daydreaming idiot... :bolt:

You have the concept down but, I believe "out of phase" is more appropriately describing electricity.  Maneuvering "out of plane" with an opponent is what you are describing in relation to BFM.  Doing this "maneuvering out of plane" also changes your lift vector in relation to the aircraft you are jousting against.   :salute
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:52:24 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:48 AM »
"Out of Phase" is also used in BFM

check out Badboy's  Rolling Scissors tutorial film on the Rolling Scissors Maneuvering where it discusses being "out of phase"

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/rollingscissors/rollingscissors.htm

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
You have the concept down but, I believe "out of phase" is more appropriately describing electricity.

same thing. imagine viewing a flat scissors from the top, 2 identical aircraft. looks like a couple of sine waves with a small but constant phase shift (the reaction time of the pursuer). now 2 aircraft, same turn rate and speed but different roll rates. the "wavelength" of the faster rolling aircraft will be less than the slower one, so as the scissors progresses, they become more and more out of phase. :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »
190's don't turn well, roll rate is all they got. You GOT! to cut throttle and try to roll and kick rudder to get to fly in from of u. I'll make sure to post films about how to use the roll rate to a advantage

Perfect :salute

Just a warning, be prepared for the rash of "You stick stirrer" whines once you get the hang of properly executing this maneuver  :D

Some folks just can't grasp the concept of not anticipating when the guy in front of you is going to slow down, nor the importance of a well-timed skid (or the difference between a skid and a slip for that matter) 

:rock
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
I'd like to see some film of these fantastic manevours in action, and how you are using roll rate to acheive them. A lot of this sounds like a load of balls me to me  :lol

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
Seems we are talking about the same thing, just some semantic differences in describing out of plane maneuvering vs in plane maneuvering and use of the lift vector in managing an overshoot.  Good discussion!   :salute
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:59:41 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
I'd like to see some film of these fantastic manevours in action, and how you are using roll rate to acheive them. A lot of this sounds like a load of balls me to me  :lol

Check out TC's link below, it's a good visualization.   :salute
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:58:37 PM by Puma44 »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »
Seems we are talking about the same thing, just some semantic differences in describing out of plane maneuvering vs in plane maneuvering and use of the lift vector in managing an overshoot.  Good discussion!   :salute

Out of plane maneuvering is the maneuvers you do to avoid your crew chief AFTER making a SAPP landing!   :neener:

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
Out of plane maneuvering is the maneuvers you do to avoid your crew chief AFTER making a SAPP landing!   :neener:

...it also works quite well for that also. 

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »
Thanks for all the replies !!S!!
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline WOZ30BAT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:08 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?d9jp6o60io6o4sp

Good film. I watched with the recorded views & I would like to know how you got some of those views? Were you in the DA?
IN Game: Sidious

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
Good film. I watched with the recorded views & I would like to know how you got some of those views? Were you in the DA?
:headscratch: sorry i dont understand this question.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
:headscratch: sorry i dont understand this question.

When you moved your head position around inside the cockpit it caused the head position in the film viewer to actually move outside the plane. You may have never went into F3 mode (especially if you were in the MA, which you were) but the film viewer records how long you held down the button, not where you actually moved your head.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com