Author Topic: What type of setup would you like to see!  (Read 5181 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: What type of setup would you like to see!
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »
STORCH!

Don't be coy. They've suspected us for quite some time.  ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
New wife?!? :eek:

Not like the old wife. Whew.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2011, 10:23:56 AM »
 :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »

I think aircraft are more difficult to see in AvA then they would be in real life(or in the MA's with the neon banners for that matter). In real life moving objects stand out and depth perception is more accurate depending on what kind of terrain the con is flying over. This is offset to an extent by dar dots but it is still is a factor. Over turquoise water this isn't an issue but I've never been able to adjust my gain and resolution to significantly change it over green or dark water.

I still prefer no icons though, and enjoy the challenge, but it still is a factor in skewing against allied rides. In WWII they utilized  superior ACMs, organizational tactics, utilized their aircraft's' strengths and eventually overwhelmed axis pilots with numbers and better trained replacements. Allied pilots were explicitly instructed not to 1v1 turn fight with superior turnfighters. You know that though  :salute

She actually has a big Swift grin knowing she is getting so many new parts and that she will be flying shiny for the first time in 10 years soon :D

Good observations, Seadog!

Some additional thoughts for consideration:

Real world: Constantly changing light conditions, aspect angles, background definition, and atmospheric effects as an aircraft moves in relation to it's background (ground or sky) can and does make an aircraft easily disappear in it's background. With so many variables in the 3D world plus the windscreen/canopy, sunglasses, or visor anomalies, and the effects of last night's beer front, it is often more difficult to pick the bogey out of the background, even when it's not intentionally trying to hide from detection.

In Game: The lighting conditions are relatively stable and consistent. Options are available in game to adjust resolution, graphics detail, gamma, etc and thus make the background more user friendly and detection of the opponent less challenging, if one so chooses. Similarly to out in the world, there are dirt specks on the monitor and fingerprints on the glasses to deal with. Can't tell ya how many times I've chased around after a dirt speck on my monitor.  :lol

So, with these in consideration, I submit that icons may be better suited for the real world. It's good that you recognize the real world benefit of tactics and mutual support in combat.  As you say, training and tactics are the key to superior air combat. That applies out there and in here.  Using tactics is a way to overcome superior performance and/or numbers.  In a combat situation where losing the fight meant more than going back to the tower and upping another pixel ride, the superior, training, and execution made the historic difference.

Just another perspective. As always, it's a computer game, it's $14.95 month that we each use as we see fit, and a whole lot of fun.    :salute

Check Six! :aok
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:48:46 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »
Real world: Constantly changing light conditions, aspect angles, background definition, and atmospheric effects as an aircraft moves in relation to it's background (ground or sky) can and does make an aircraft easily disappear in it's background. With so many variables in the 3D world plus the windscreen/canopy, sunglasses, or visor anomalies, and the effects of last night's beer front, it is often more difficult to pick the bogey out of the background, even when it's not intentionally trying to hide from detection.

Perhaps it's just me, but in real world flying I have a very difficult time picking out anything smaller than an airliner.  I keep telling people that planes should be painted blaze orange.

- oldman (glad I have the traffic device installed)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2011, 12:06:58 AM »

Perhaps it's just me, but in real world flying I have a very difficult time picking out anything smaller than an airliner.  I keep telling people that planes should be painted blaze orange.

Oh, it's not just you, Oldman.  It's a very common every day event.  You are right on.   :aok. Brightly colored aircraft definitely make them easier to pick out of the background clutter.  Almost like having a big icon to point them out, eh?   :D

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »

Must be the reading glasses yer using to ILS pilot yer fancy plane (or GPS for you rich lads).  Are the side-windows foggy? Try plastic polish to clear up the visibility.  And of course, buying (cough) seamless bifocals help too, especially if you don't want to scare off the younger women. :D

Blaze orange? Heck, lime green works fine too. So does yeller, and magenta.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
I enjoyed the snap shots that have run in AvA.  As a matter of fact I actually miss them :frown:  They were well thought out & a lot of fun.

The objective based weeks have been alright, but for the most part on those weeks you get two types: the guys that stick to the plan while the 2nd type just furballs in a corner some where. Now the idea is to get these guys all doing the same thing. That's the hard part.

It occurs to me that we don't have a truly era specific arena. Here is what I mean, in the Late War arena, every fighter is enabled. From the earliest production model in 1938 to the latest WWII usable model. And they all fight against each other. P38 vs P51. La7 vs A6m2.  What if there where a setup designed to spread over a mega front line area of bases the had era specific clashes between Axis & Allied plane sets. As an example, say Axis base 1 & Allied base 1 had say 5 late war birds available. Something along the line of :
Axis base 1         Allied Base 1   
   Bf109K-4                   Spitfire Mk16
   Bf109G-14                   P-38L
   FW190D-9                   P-51D
   Ta 152H                      P-47N
   C205                           La-7

Then the Axis & Allied base 2 would progress down the ladder with the next perceived round of matched planesets.   All on the same map

Maybe even simpler, would to have a yearly progression of Axis vs Allies plansets. One week could be 1941 planesets spread out over the mega front. Next 1942 and so on and so on.
AHXARL Lead Campaign Manager/2012-?

My new favorite clip--->http://youtu.be/_2Nn4wAVNOg

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »
noTch, I think they've run rolling planesets in the past.  Seemed like it was a lot of work for them, but I'm not sure.

Having the arena set up with LW in one pair of bases, MW in another, etc. would be bad (in my opinion). There is nothing to prevent some turd from upping his LW bird and fly around the whole map, picking on everyone. AvA maps are not that big, and usually fuel burn is 1.0, so he could fly one sortie for two hours just picking on the earlier-era guys.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »
Just figured i'd throw another Idea out there, but how about asking Hitech for something like an "AvA month"?

where for that month, the Main arenas are removed, and the focus be running scenarios in the AvA. possibly have a new one each week for the Whole month.

Or maybe an AvA weekend?
Where like above, every weekend the Main arenas would be removed and the AvA be the main focus. could run every weekend.

Most casual  gamers don't truly know the fun in something unless they are forced into experimenting further with it.
like, They go into the AvA, and see that it has no-icons. there used to flying in the MA with icons, so they think it would be too difficult to play without Icons, and leave.
Or They merely see the restricted plane-set, and when they see there favorite plane isent a part of the current set-up, they leave because they think they can only enjoy the game in that one plane.

The low numbers also do not help, Ive been trying to get interested in the AvA ever since "the 8th comes over", but with such low numbers in there at a time its hard to truly Enjoy the scenarios as they are meant to be(Especially the objective-filled ones) This can most-likely be said for the Casual Gamer as well.

But if the AvA was the only Main arena for a time, it would force the Casual Gamers to actually give The AvA a real shot like its meant to be. And im sure alot of them will have changed-opinions of it.

Again, just my opinions  :salute

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
Back to the thread~ I would like to see Pacific Thunder again with the New Guinea Solomon Ils. map (I believe it is the Coral Sea map from Dillingers Wake) where the objective was to leapfrog up the East coast (Lae, Wewak, etc) of New Guinea and leap move over to Rabul.

Japanese (Knights)

A6M2- Sub for Ki-43
A6M3
Ki-61
G4M
C-47

GVs
M-3
M-8
M-16

USAAF (Bishops)
P-38G
P-47D11
P-40E
B-25C and H
B-24
C-47

GVs
M-3
M-4
M-16
Jeep

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
Back to the thread~ I would like to see Pacific Thunder again with the New Guinea Solomon Ils. map (I believe it is the Coral Sea map from Dillingers Wake) where the objective was to leapfrog up the East coast (Lae, Wewak, etc) of New Guinea and leap move over to Rabul.

I've thought of moving it to that map. We've had some issues with that map in the past. One problem is the map is huge sometimes it's hard to find each other with the small numbers we usually have in the AVA. Next time I run it I'll move it to the Coral Sea map and see how it flys.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
Most of the action would be concentrated to the NE and NW of that map for sure. If there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask me~ I'm sure I can stir up some interest and I really want to make sure it happens on a week I'm not offshore this time:lol

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
Are the side-windows foggy? Try plastic polish to clear up the visibility. 

Actually we used lemon Pledge on the Cardinal windscreens. Worked great!
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen