Author Topic: Damaged Engine Sound  (Read 939 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Damaged Engine Sound
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
 Wish an engine that dies, because it is out of oil and overheated, sounded different than shutting off
a good running engine.  I'm not real sure on airplane engines, but I've blown up my share of car engines.
Quite a distinctively different sound.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Re: Damaged Engine Sound
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55:16 AM »
I think this depends on the sound pac you are using.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »
I think this depends on the sound pac you are using.

It does not. There is an engine off sound, but no, say, 'damage off' sound.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:47 AM »
Mayhaps so. But I know the sound of engine shutting down after an oil hit on a 110 is different than if I just shut it down. Problem is I am using kind of a mix-match of sound pacs. So I don't know exactly the why of it, but they are different sounds.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
Mayhaps so. But I know the sound of engine shutting down after an oil hit on a 110 is different than if I just shut it down. Problem is I am using kind of a mix-match of sound pacs. So I don't know exactly the why of it, but they are different sounds.

some planes (I dunno about all) make a damage sound along with engine off when the engines go offline due to oil/radiator etc etc.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »
some planes (I dunno about all) make a damage sound along with engine off when the engines go offline due to oil/radiator etc etc.

I agree. EJoe thinks differently.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

Which ones?  Every sound file I have says 'engoff'.  there is no 'damengoff' or anything like that.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
Which ones?  Every sound file I have says 'engoff'.  there is no 'damengoff' or anything like that.

Coogan

It's a damage sound, I don't know which one, but when I'm being shot up I hear it just the same as when my engine craps out due to.. less than friendly means. Just because it doesn't say it, doesn't mean it's not in your systems sound file.

Go into a Spitfire (or any plane) and just hold down the primary fire button. After 2 seconds, let go, and immediately pull again for 2 second. 99 out of 100 times, the sound will change every time you pull that trigger. Infact, it's rotating through a bunch of sounds in your sound file. Also, the game HAS to be able to play multiple sounds simultaneously or alot of things wouldn't work well.. like the game. Turn up your damage sound and turn down your engine off sound and you can hear it better. My damage sounds are at 100 where as my engine start/stop are both set at 15 (I'm deaf enough). Go test it after you make the changes and have someone shoot you in the TA or DA and just wait for your engine to crap out.

Hope that answers your question.  :)
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
It's a damage sound, I don't know which one, but when I'm being shot up I hear it just the same as when my engine craps out due to.. less than friendly means. Just because it doesn't say it, doesn't mean it's not in your systems sound file.

Go into a Spitfire (or any plane) and just hold down the primary fire button. After 2 seconds, let go, and immediately pull again for 2 second. 99 out of 100 times, the sound will change every time you pull that trigger. Infact, it's rotating through a bunch of sounds in your sound file. Also, the game HAS to be able to play multiple sounds simultaneously or alot of things wouldn't work well.. like the game. Turn up your damage sound and turn down your engine off sound and you can hear it better. My damage sounds are at 100 where as my engine start/stop are both set at 15 (I'm deaf enough). Go test it after you make the changes and have someone shoot you in the TA or DA and just wait for your engine to crap out.

you do know that pulling the trigger at diffrent times might sync the MGs and sometimes un sync them THATS WHY IT SOUNDS DIFFRENT
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »

As I've said  there is no sound for a damaged engine shutting off.  Say you're RTB with an oil leak. (alone, not being shot at)  Your engine dies.  It should make a distinguishably different sound than a healthy engine.
As a matter of fact, some planes don't even make a sound when the engine shuts down, while in flight.  You have to wait until you're at a complete stop on the runway for the sound to play.

Hope you understand my wish now.   :aok

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
you're wanting to hear an il2 type damaged engine sound where it grinds and screeches to a halt. you may have a sound problem, i hear the damaged engine die in ah, granted it's not a grinding screeching noise but it flutters to a stop. check your advanced sound settings in game.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
you do know that pulling the trigger at diffrent times might sync the MGs and sometimes un sync them THATS WHY IT SOUNDS DIFFRENT

Go listen to your sounds between each shot then, also, get into say a 110 and put one barrel in a non firing position and fire the other as I said in my previous post then switch to the other barrel. You'll find they are two different sound files (or at least on my system they are). Then go try this with the 20mm nose cannon from a 38 or a 109 after you open up with the 110 and her 20's and 30mm. I have multiple sound files for both in each folder. At least with my sound pack they do. Maybe the basic one doesn't, I don't know.

You may be right in that also it oddly syncs them, but I double checked with the 110 and visually with a few others, because if it looks like a sheep and sounds like sheep... I welcome you to go test this for yourself.

As I've said  there is no sound for a damaged engine shutting off.  Say you're RTB with an oil leak. (alone, not being shot at)  Your engine dies.  It should make a distinguishably different sound than a healthy engine.
As a matter of fact, some planes don't even make a sound when the engine shuts down, while in flight.  You have to wait until you're at a complete stop on the runway for the sound to play.

Not sure what planes are like this. That sounds like a bug maybe? As for the damage, it's a mixture depending on the plane. It sounds very similar to the sound my plane makes when I belly land and my prop hits the runway or water. Loud BANG and no engine shutdown except for a bomber. I only checked the 17's tho.

Am I to understand you want an independent sound file for the damaged engine shut down? If that's the case, sorry that I missunderstood.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:34:41 PM by SEseph »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »
Yep, that's what I mean.  One sound file for a good engine shut down, and another one for an overheated/locking up engine.
I doubt it would be taxing to add a sound file like this, as it would only play once during flight.  And that's if you had a damaged engine.
Otherwise it would just be the normal shut down sound.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
If a damaged engine sound is ever implemented, I've had them made and on standby for a year or two now.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
 :aok