Author Topic: Bishies Gone Wild!  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Re: Bishies Gone Wild!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
I hope this doesn't come off as some anti-horde whine, that is not my intent.   I'm hoping someone can help me understand why take 43 formations of Lancasters to hit an airfield?  Seems to me that is a lot more than you need to completely level the airfield and the town several times over on one pass.  The people at the front of the group get to drop some bombs and blow things up but the folks at the back are going to be left with little to do.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take two or more smaller groups and hit multiple targets? Or go for the strats where there are more objects to destroy? 

Again I don't mean this as a critique, or complaint I'm just trying to understand the appeal and enjoyment for a lot of the guys that were bringing up the rear.

Soulyss remember that B29 mission I'm trying to put together? :D

One of my favorite things is taking up large formations of bombers with the sole purpose of bombing the runway, or carpet bombing a field. The objective is not to pork, close, or capture the field but to just have a good time and watch the WOW factor. Nothing says awesome like 20+ B17s dropping 320 100lbs bombs down a runway. :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:15:25 PM by Beefcake »
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
Soulyss remember that B29 mission I'm trying to put together? :D

One of my favorite things is taking up large formations of bombers with the sole purpose of bombing the runway, or carpet bombing a field. The objective is not to pork, close, or capture the field but to just have a good time and watch the WOW factor. Nothing says awesome like 20+ B17s dropping 320 100lbs bombs down a runway. :D

Lord knows I'm always up for a "pointless" mission. :)

Perhaps my mistake this morning was underestimating how many people felt the same way, and I read more into the mission posted in the film than I should of.  I had assumed that it was a pork and/or base capture attempt.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »
I thought it was great.  Much better than 25 noe N1Ks.   Thanks Bishies.   :cheers:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
Now if you guys would all sign up for Coral Sea (see my sig for info), with that mind set of purely having fun, it would truly be an intensely fun experience.  :cheers:

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »
HOLY CRAKAMONO!!!  :O
If someone is to do an AH promotional film, THIS footage needs to be in it!!!  :rock

OMG! Awesome!  :aok
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
If memory serves me correctly I believe we ran that mission three times in a 24hr. period.  Each time the number of buff pilots went up.  :O

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
The point was for fun.  Chewie posted the first few, I posted one with B-24's, Lancs, Brewsters and Zeros and it turned out to have more joiners. 

Besides, if you want to close down a large field with a posted mission, you can't assign hangers to rank and file mission pilots and expect all hangers to go down.  So we found that "area" bombing is more effective against a large field.  As well as a super fun time.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »
Something along the lines of what I thought I was going to see when I clicked on this thread:

:noid

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com