Author Topic: Dear History Channel  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
Re: Dear History Channel
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
I LOVED Lock n' Load w/ R Lee Ermey, but It was only on for I think maybe a year, then it went to HI for a while. Now I don't see it at all. And I also loved Mail Call, that show always made me laugh a bit.

Yeah, same here. He seems to be the only one who can star in a very serious war movie, and make it somewhat funny (even tho DIs actually act like that, minus the choking of private pile)
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Let's be honest... It's almost always been garbage....

It was just "on-topic" garbage.... :noid

Two good friends of mine worked for many years in the HC main office in NYC.  According to them, the "suits" never gave a rat's patootie about history or facts or accuracy.  All they cared about was selling advertizing time.  And the suits *hated* it whenever someone called it the Hitler Channel. 

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
The nube crybaby from Alabama is pathetic.
You are right about that. He won't last long. We saw Rick get canned a couple seasons ago. We'll see how he does with
his new leased truck. He won't be abusing this truck because he is responsible for anything that might go wrong.

I have to agree with you about Maya. She is eye candy. It makes ya wonder if she really has ANY experience driving a truck.
Maybe T's and A's will help the ratings. If it does not, the show will get cancelled.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
Two good friends of mine worked for many years in the HC main office in NYC.  According to them, the "suits" never gave a rat's patootie about history or facts or accuracy.  All they cared about was selling advertizing time.  And the suits *hated* it whenever someone called it the Hitler Channel. 

But that's what I really don't get, if they're worried about their image or reputation.  If you call yourself the History Channel, and you've previously aired tons of documentries and footage of Hitler and his 3rd Reich in proprotion to non-Hitler and non-Nazi related airtime, and now you're no longer airing almost any history at all and almost exclusively reality TV, a very negative light could be cast on them with some percievable truths to back it up.

You are right about that. He won't last long. We saw Rick get canned a couple seasons ago. We'll see how he does with
his new leased truck. He won't be abusing this truck because he is responsible for anything that might go wrong.

I have to agree with you about Maya. She is eye candy. It makes ya wonder if she really has ANY experience driving a truck.
Maybe T's and A's will help the ratings. If it does not, the show will get cancelled.

:salute

That new woman doesn't even sound like she's gone on a leisure drive in the mountains before, she has that look and gaze of a 3-yo staring out the window down the steep slope thinking "they put a road... on this, up here?".  She's cute, but I wonder if they didn't just hire the cutest person with the least experience OTR or in rough terrain most likely to get into an accident in the imediate future on the show because that's the one major thing they haven't already have happend by casting experienced knowledgable truck drivers.  I feared this happeneing when after the first couple of seasons they started casting "characters" rather than no-BS suck-it-up get-the-job-done truckers.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:19:15 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »
Agree with a lot of what you guys have said, Maya is pretty much eye candy for tv, with only 3 yrs driving around NYC, she is not even a small bit qualified for that harsh area.   They need serious OTR drivers who have spent time on hills, mountains, and in bad weather.

I do enjoy Lisa, she is not bad to look at, a good person, and honestly trying hard to be good at the job.  She is pretty much there now with the experience she has gained driving up there.

I didn't watch IRT the first season or two, but kind of find it a good time filler now.  Of course, Modern Family is the funniest show on tv, and Pawn Stars is interesting for what you see and can learn.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
Anyone still watching I.R.T.?

update:

They keep Maya

Rick and Bear get lost twice in the Canadian Bush after they trash two trailers with excessive speed......poor owner is gonna spend 10k in repairs.

Whiner Dave refused to stay in the convoy with Rick and Maya.....boss decides to can him.

Will Dave be back in another role?

The soap opera continues......am I hooked?   :D
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »
a guy in my class says he's gonna ask if they will make a show about him fishing since he fishes every day.  :rofl I'm sure they would give it to em
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
Anyone still watching I.R.T.?

update:

They keep Maya
like, no wai!

Rick and Bear get lost twice in the Canadian Bush after they trash two trailers with excessive speed......poor owner is gonna spend 10k in repairs.
I'm surprised but not, never thought Bear was top-tier trucker material personaly (one of those truckers more worried about his mail truck driver delivering his paycheck on-time and in one piece than the concerns of his employers about him and his own deliveries), but he's the longtime favorite of the show's editors and producers.

Whiner Dave refused to stay in the convoy with Rick and Maya.....boss decides to can him.
surprised he stayed employed as long as he did this season.  he likes to do things his way and is very opinionated, not a good match when they want people holding hands to work together.

Will Dave be back in another role?
likely, reality TV loves those that just never get along with others.

The soap opera continues......am I hooked?   :D

:aok
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »
I have mixed feelings on the subject of the kindle.  I've replaced my paperback purchases with e-books, but having even a small bookshelf filled with hardcover books such as On the Origin of Species, I, Robot
and War and Peace makes any study look timeless.  The books are also great to curl up with if one has trouble falling asleep.

-Penguin

The feeling of sitting down with my nephew (he's not reading yet, but that's not the point) and a REAL book just can't be matched by ANY stretch of the imagination with an eBook. And I'm not even getting into the value of having a real, work-of-art type book (leather-bound, etc). Or the sentimental value of a book being passed down by a father, mother, etc. Plastic and electronics CAN NOT COMPARE to that.

Oh, and then there's the whole thing about Amazon, etc., wiping stuff from your ebooks without a word. Maybe the cases so far have been for legit reasons, but the ability for someone to just remove information that way is frightening to the EXTREME.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
The only thing I will bother to sit down and watch anymore is Top Gear. Good thing that seems to comprise a good 40% of all of BBC One's programming. Everything else on television has gone downhill fast. Especially childrens' cartoons.

EDIT: If anyone has a channel called Palladia, it plays a good variety of music, signed and indie artists, music videos and live performances, music festivals, musical movies too. (Pink Floyd's The Wall, The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night, etc.) It's what I imagine the fabled MTV of old used to be like.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:42:59 PM by BrownBaron »
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes