Author Topic: F4U sun screen  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
F4U sun screen
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »
I've been looking at a lot of F4U pictures on line because I was currious about he Rear view as modelled in AH. In AH the opaque domed covering that rises up and over the pilot's head from the rear of the canopy seems to be the largest version ever used on a Corsair. While these covers were in use, it's not clear on how many, or what versions had them, or whether they are optional. Most of the historic photo's of the planes have a very small sheet metal lip, that seems much smaller than the one in AH. Perhaps AH has modelled the little lip version, and it only seems huge from inside the plane. However the AH version does resemble the much larger version shown on some Historic Photos of F4U's

Does anyone know a good referece for the history of this feature of the canopy?

:salute

Vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: F4U sun screen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
That armor plate seems to be quite huge, but so does this one reported to be a -1A

and this one, reported to be a 1D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Corsair_FG-1D_Bu88391_RNZAF.jpg  (kind of large to imbed)

The pics of a 1C seem to match the above

The -4 pics I find it seems there wasn't much of one

Wish I had more, I am curious too
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:57:42 AM by Scca »
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »
man u guys do know how much people going to whine about shawk n his chog if it gets upgraded.
would be nice to have a better view. good find you guys.

<S> greeny
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
man u guys do know how much people going to whine about shawk n his chog if it gets upgraded.
would be nice to have a better view. good find you guys.

<S> greeny
From what I am seeing, it's only the -4 that doesn't really have much of one...  I'll have to check in game tonight to see how it's modeled in AH.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
In-game the only one that dosnt have it is the -1 birdcage ,  all others are the same IIRC

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »

Lmao! Gunna need more cheese for the whine
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
From what I am seeing, it's only the -4 that doesn't really have much of one...  I'll have to check in game tonight to see how it's modeled in AH.
Depends on what one you are looking at some do some don't.

DO.

DON'T.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
It was not armor. It was a support plate for the plexiglass. The F4u-4 that saw combat at the very end of 45 all had the support plate. An improved bulged canopy showed up at the very end. Those that saw combat had the plate.

For everyone to decide check the third picture down in this link. The plate extends 1.5 times the width of the backstrap forward into the bulged plexi. Take one of the AH F4u out, F3, zoom in and guesstamate from the side for the proportion.

http://www.livingwarbirds.com/vought-f4u-corsair-pictures.php

My guesstamate of the AH plate is 2x the width of the backstrap after F3 and zoom.

You are talking maybe 3-4 inches at best. I doubt in game it matters. You still need to set your 6 view to look around the side of the head rest. Or do the TrackIR contortionism boogy. Bet none of you Corsair aficionados ever noticed the gunsight in the F4U1 is missing its projector lense......only a black painted metal plate.

This is as picayune as my doing hours of testing to prove the engine centerline mounted cannons in the game in real life were locked to the centerline of the engine but, HiTech allows you to tilt the cannon. In game you can adjust the elevation short of .1 degree. The dispersion modeling in the game makes the elevation adjustment a moot point past 200 yards.

Picayune....... :rolleyes:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »

This one's a -5 wife snapped a couple years ago at Dayton....don't think that aspect is different tho

(was frikkin awesome, we were standing like 75' away)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
It was not armor. It was a support plate for the plexiglass. The F4u-4 that saw combat at the very end of 45 all had the support plate. An improved bulged canopy showed up at the very end. Those that saw combat had the plate.

For everyone to decide check the third picture down in this link. The plate extends 1.5 times the width of the backstrap forward into the bulged plexi. Take one of the AH F4u out, F3, zoom in and guesstamate from the side for the proportion.

http://www.livingwarbirds.com/vought-f4u-corsair-pictures.php

My guesstamate of the AH plate is 2x the width of the backstrap after F3 and zoom.

You are talking maybe 3-4 inches at best. I doubt in game it matters. You still need to set your 6 view to look around the side of the head rest. Or do the TrackIR contortionism boogy. Bet none of you Corsair aficionados ever noticed the gunsight in the F4U1 is missing its projector lense......only a black painted metal plate.

This is as picayune as my doing hours of testing to prove the engine centerline mounted cannons in the game in real life were locked to the centerline of the engine but, HiTech allows you to tilt the cannon. In game you can adjust the elevation short of .1 degree. The dispersion modeling in the game makes the elevation adjustment a moot point past 200 yards.

Picayune....... :rolleyes:

I thought that might be true, but the real conopy was bubble meaning iyour head could beyond the sheet metal of the plane when looking out to the side. So in real life I think you could see around it better. I'd like to sit and one and see. someday maybe.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
I spy a Beaufighter...... :noid
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
I spy a Beaufighter...... :noid
Good eye :aok yes a RAAF one.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
I posted something on the bug reports forum about this and it was explained that the versions with the smaller screen/shield (whatever) was on post WWII models..

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
amidoinitrite?  :noid

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03:22 PM »
they also had a plexiglass window in the bottom of the cockpit floor (actually the early models had no floor) for the pilot to see below him. I dont think the -4 model had this but im guessing the earlier ones all did.