Author Topic: another darwin candidate  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: another darwin candidate
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
Your insurance will go up if I trip and fall because I did not tie my shoes,  because I broke a leg climbing on my roof, because I grabbed a live wire thinking I was an electrician, because I hurt my back moving a couch, because I got drunk fall of my balcony, because I had a hard attack due to my diet, because I rear ended someone while I WAS wearing a seat belt, because I cut my finger cutting drywall, bla bla bla.  Non of this bothers anyone I guess since there are no laws against them and your insurance will go up if your company decides they are losing money because of all this.  But, riding with out a helmet  :O

Let me ask this.  If you think it is irresponsible to ride without a helmet and some how your insurance will go up if I have an accident, how responsible is it to get on that bike in the first place?  They offer no protection what so ever and any accident while riding one of them will result in injury.  It is a question of how bad.  So helmet or not, you can rack up a pretty good bill at the hospital, lose a limb, become paralyzed, or die.  Shouldn't then be also elegal to even ride a bike?  How is that different?

Your right.. it is absolutely impossible to protect yourself from stupid people. They are on the protected list and their numbers grow daily because of this. Back in the day they thinned theirselves out which also inhibited their numbers and they were unable to reproduce.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
There is a way that not wearing a helmet can harm someone else.  Here is a perfect example.  You are driving down the road, happy as a clam.  You come to a four way intersection, and by your own negligence get into a crash with a motorcyclist.  The motorcyclist is catapaulted from his/her motorcycle, and hits his/her head on something (e.g., another car, the road itself) and is killed or horribly disfigured.  If they were wearing a helmet, this wouldn't have happened, and you would pay far less to cover their medical expenses.

As you can see, there is a significant advantage to mandating safety gear.  This advantage is a lack of vehicular manslaughter charges levied against you.

-Penguin

Circular logic

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
A HA! Sarcasm, eh?!?!  :lol

But here's the catch... if you are a participatory insurance (mutual) policyowner or happen to be stockholder as well as a policyowner in a "stock" insurance company, then you do lose when someone else does something stupid!  :neener:

Well, then, riding a bike should be made elegal to protect the stock holders.  Even better, selling insurance seems a bit of a risky behavior given the crazy things we do.  That should be elegal also  :lol

BTW, I was asked by an insurance company 10 years ago to sign a paper that said that I would not ever sky dive again in order to keep the price of the life insurance down.  See?  It is doable without laws.  Put it in the contract.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
selling insurance seems a bit of a risky behavior given the crazy things we do.

when you aggregate the risks its actually quite lucrative  :bolt:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
That should be elegal also  :lol

Are you just trying to cash in on the hip "internet e-age" by saying e-legal?

That should be illegal to speak that way!  :lol
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey