Author Topic: Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »
1. Set guns at 500/275ish for shotgun effect, fire all guns at once
2. Gun solutions should be crossing shots <300yds, you must lead twice as far as you "think"
3. Never accept a HO.
4. Never dive steeper than 15 degrees or so if you are faster than 475.
5. Use the rudder to throw your nose for further lead at last second if required
6. Don't go for nose up ropes unless you are a lot faster than the plane you are trying to rope.  Prop planes will catch you in the rope faster than you realize going nose up and bleed E.
7. Use as much rudder as you can to slow down on landing, get full flaps out.
8. Minor neg G evasives make it very difficult for planes that have dove onto your six to catch you.  Watch their nose and evade until they aren't pointed at you.  Straighten out and repeat when they get realigned.  Repeat until you outrun them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

you need two more commandments Grizz :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »
don't dive too fast or your wings will tear off.

I went 700+ in it the other day.  :devil
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
you need two more commandments Grizz :D

:D

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:13 AM »
You forgot the most important......  Only TnB with other 262's.   :D

2. Gun solutions should be crossing shots <300yds, you must lead twice as far as you "think"
3. Never accept a HO.
5. Use the rudder to throw your nose for further lead at last second if required
6. Don't go for nose up ropes unless you are a lot faster than the plane you are trying to rope.  Prop planes will catch you in the rope faster than you realize going nose up and bleed E.
8. Minor neg G evasives make it very difficult for planes that have dove onto your six to catch you.  Watch their nose and evade until they aren't pointed at you.  Straighten out and repeat when they get realigned.  Repeat until you outrun them.

Interesting stat....  Last tour, most 262's were downed by Lancaster's.   :confused:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:02:24 AM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »
Interesting stat....  Last tour, most 262's were downed by Lancaster's.   :confused:

Probably from ramming them.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »
Last tour, most 262's were downed by Lancaster's.   :confused:

Oh really?

;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:26:58 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
Excuse me oh slimey one......but that is NOT a pie chart.  Make it so number one.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »
But it is a table chart!

His title still stands, the crown remains in place!

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »
Strange, I ran that chart this morning...  :headscratch:

EDIT:  Must have been the LSD. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:54:24 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »
3. Never accept a HO.

That explains most of your "how the heck did he do that" or "how the heck did he miss that" shots.  :D
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
But it is a table chart!

His title still stands, the crown remains in place!
True, but HE didn't make it. It is a cut and paste from the scores page.  I hereby strip slimey of his crown and order him to stand in the corner until I see an appropriate pie chart.  :furious
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:25 AM »
How can he make an appropriate pie chart if he's in the corner?
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:32 AM »
So, finally had that run tonight as a knit. took to sorties. First was as a Knight, out over A21.
The other was in an attempt to intercept B17's over the Knit HQ.

my first combat impressions with the 262 is that-

Its fuel percentage can be tricky to judge. when i first upped, 100% said it only gave me 23 mins, which i felt was a bummer. then i checked it again after i had climbed, and it had raised itself from 23mins to 29 mins. then as i reached 10k, i was sitting at 35 mins of fuel. i jokingly asked of country chat if the 262 was capable of producing its own fuel. which i was reminded that bellybutton you gain altitude, your need for fuel percentage decreases. stupid me  :rolleyes:

Every one really does drop what they are doing to pursue you. over 21, it seemed like the Entire bish horde attemped to go at me as soon as i got within icon range. luckily only a 109 got close pinging me, but it was nothing serious.

the 30mm taters are difficult to aim with, especially when going high speeds. im going to practice some more offline aiming with them, before i go back up. had very nice opportunities to down a nik,spit, and 190. but wasn't able to hit them.
seemed like those 30mm's dropped like a rock right out of the barrel. 

i took the "hold your break till your rpm is at max, then take off" advice. it does work rather smoothly.

when trying to pull a soft turn, sometimes it would seem like the aircraft was actually flying completely sideways, it was a weird feeling, and when it started to do this i would put it in autopilot to balance itself, it might be a weird Mouse-using drawback.

When putting it in Autopilot, it likes to bob up&down a little. even at low speeds.

slowing down to land can be tricky, but once on the ground its pretty smooth to taxi.

just my first observations of it. one thing i dont get tho, when i intercepted the B17, i dove in, shot its tail off, watched it plummet from the sky, but did not get a kill for it.

will post a vid of my first 262 kill to be judged by the 262 pros  :salute

Offline Twizzty

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
I hope your video lives up to this one Tyrannis  :D

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?topic=287699.0

Meteor Interception of Luftwannabe Forces.
Current status of M.I.L.F: On standby - awaiting aircraft.
The Few

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
Its fuel percentage can be tricky to judge. when i first upped, 100% said it only gave me 23 mins, which i felt was a bummer. then i checked it again after i had climbed, and it had raised itself from 23mins to 29 mins. then as i reached 10k, i was sitting at 35 mins of fuel. i jokingly asked of country chat if the 262 was capable of producing its own fuel. which i was reminded that bellybutton you gain altitude, your need for fuel percentage decreases. stupid me  :rolleyes:

I think what happens is that the fuel consumption decreases as you speed up, rather than purely by gaining altitude - I assume the engines have to do less work at high speed, because they're getting more air, but I'm not a jet engineer. The moment you take off it will appear that the fuel situation is bleak, but once you speed up it gets better.

e.g. at max RPM, 5K alt, 250 indicated, you're burning about 1,400 fuel units, at 400 indicated it drops to 1,170. At 5k it seems to level out at 1,105 at about 450 indicated. No doubt someone has a spreadsheet somewhere where you can enter speeds and altitudes and it will give you the fuel consumption, which would be handy for planning.