Author Topic: Connecting PC to TV (audio issue)  (Read 812 times)

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
Connecting PC to TV (audio issue)
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:26 PM »
I have a Samsung LCD TV, and I'm trying to set it up where I have video and audio from my PC on my TV. I can get the video working just fine (I have a DVI-out to HDMI-in), but I cannot get the audio from my PC to get passed to the TV speakers.

The instructions tell me that I needed a 3.5mm-out to 2RCA-in cable (which I have) but everything I've tried I just can't get this to work. Any ideas?

My PC motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, and I have a GTX260 video card.

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Re: Connecting PC to TV (audio issue)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
NOVA

Using what you have said I might have an idea that will work.

You have video to your TV correct from what I can understand. What you are trying to get is the sound to your TV from your computer.

Just a couple of questions, 1 Do you have a headset, if you do have you disabled the sound to the headset?

If you have done that then what you can try is to go into your playback devices on the speaker icon in the tray and select the digital audio (S/PDIF) and enable that.

I dont know if that will help but keep us posted.

Lawndart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
Hey lawndart,

Thanks for the reply.. I'm not running an S/PDIF cable to my TV and I don't have a headset, so im not sure that would do anything? I'm running the 3.5mm to 2 RCA as stated in the instructions on my TV, but still no dice..  :bhead

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
Well....

A HDMI input on a television has both video and audio.  The other end of it is plugged into your computer's videocard, which outputs no audio, ever.

You need to see if you can set your tv to take the video signal from the HDMI input and the audio from a seperate input.  I'm not sure if you can do this, actually I think you almost certainly can't because no self respecting audiophile or videophile would ever buy a Samsung TV.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:02:26 AM »
Since you're using a 3.5mm jack for your audio, I would try and use a set of headphones on that jack, just to make sure the PC is
putting out the sound.
At least that way you'd know if its the PC or the TV.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »
I think the problem is you cannot use HDMI input AND 3.5mm.

HDMI carries audio, some PC video cards will carry audio on an HDMI to HDMI connection but not usually on the DVI HDMI connection.

Essentially if you TV has a VGA input connect that to the TV and the 3.5mm  audio and you should be right.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »
What model of Samsung? I am using Samsung Synmaster :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:50 AM »
The Phono connections on the TV might be "OUT" only for connection to Hi-Fi. Make sure your TV has Phono "IN", otherwise you need to convert your DVi and audio into HDMi instead of just the video DVi to HDMi

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
Well....

A HDMI input on a television has both video and audio.  The other end of it is plugged into your computer's videocard, which outputs no audio, ever.

You need to see if you can set your tv to take the video signal from the HDMI input and the audio from a seperate input.  I'm not sure if you can do this, actually I think you almost certainly can't because no self respecting audiophile or videophile would ever buy a Samsung TV.

This is probably a good place to start, since HDMI is designed to carry the video AND audio, there's a chance the input jacks you have the cable plugged into are on a separate input, especially if you're running two channel analog audio (which is what it looks like you're doing). 

What model TV are you using?  I can try and pull the manual and take a look.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
Newer model video cards (ones that have HDMI connectors) often have an audio header to connect your sound card directly to the video card, and some have additional sound hardware built onto them (ATI cards, for example), so the end result is you can get your audio out to the TV through the HDMI cable.

Depends on your setup, but it may be possible without additional wiring.

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
Newer model video cards (ones that have HDMI connectors) often have an audio header to connect your sound card directly to the video card, and some have additional sound hardware built onto them (ATI cards, for example), so the end result is you can get your audio out to the TV through the HDMI cable.

Depends on your setup, but it may be possible without additional wiring.

Would give me a good excuse to upgrade my card eh?  :rock

I'm still not getting it to work. I'll post my TV's model number when i get home, but the crazy thing is I'm doing exactly what the instructions are telling me to do..  :bhead

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
"newer" goes back a bit as well. My older GeForce 9600 GSO had a 2 prong audio header to pass through sound for HDMI. An older ATI HD 3560 had a built in sound chip (essentially another sound card device with drivers and all) to pass through HDMI. Neither is top notch. The ATI method seems to be their new tactic, as my latest HD 6970 card also has a built in sound card.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
i have a HD 6970
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »