Author Topic: Lighting Effects & Shadows  (Read 347 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Lighting Effects & Shadows
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
 I notice we already have lighting effects in our cockpits.  I think they look great, but
I'm wondering why the lighting effect seems to have no impact on game performance,
or frame-rate loss.
 Now, turning on shadows appears to make a pretty big difference in game performance.
A lot of it has to do with my PC.  Not top of the line, but not quite a dinosaur yet either.
Guess I'm just curious as to why the shadows would need so much more from the CPU
than the lighting effects seem to...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Lighting Effects & Shadows
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Here's just my layman's guess, the lighting effects we have are more or less static effects, the guns fire and certain parts of the plane light up regardless of what you're doing at the time.  Shadows on the other hand  have to be calculated in real time on the fly.  Roll the plane and watch the shadows from the cockpit shift across the wing for example. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
Yes it's the physics and angles calculations.. the stuff that you don't see.. that bogs things down so much.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Lighting Effects Vs. Shadows
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
Don't you mean Lighting Effects Vs. Shadows?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Lighting Effects Vs. Shadows
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »
Don't you mean Lighting Effects Vs. Shadows?

I guess it could be titled that way.  :aok

Here's just my layman's guess, the lighting effects we have are more or less static effects, the guns fire and certain parts of the plane light up regardless of what you're doing at the time.  Shadows on the other hand  have to be calculated in real time on the fly.  Roll the plane and watch the shadows from the cockpit shift across the wing for example.  

I thought there was something more to it than I was thinking.  I see now that the default lighting effect doesn't block the light from the canopy frame.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

:cheers: Coogan

:lol :lol Grizz.  I just noticed all the VS's in the General Forums.   :lol :lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:21:26 AM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »
lots of smoke will kill my frames. if I'm vulching on a field with everything on fire, forget it
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught.