Author Topic: Claiming HO on 200 when you lose  (Read 4648 times)

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
Re: Claiming HO on 200 when you lose
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »
With a name like mine who can complain when I serve them up a facial?
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »
Agreed on the face palm.

Some of us believe it's about air combat and learning to bend your cartoon plane better then the other guy.  The second we start really dying, then shooting at every opportunity including HO shots makes sense as you many never get another shot.  But until then, working towards getting the best shot is the challenge to me and what the game is about.

The argument that it takes two to HO is also garbage to me.  If your only  intention every time you merge with another plane is to shoot nose on, then you are missing a big part of cartoon air combat. 
:aok
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
Agreed on the face palm.

Some of us believe it's about air combat and learning to bend your cartoon plane better then the other guy.  The second we start really dying, then shooting at every opportunity including HO shots makes sense as you many never get another shot.  But until then, working towards getting the best shot is the challenge to me and what the game is about.

The argument that it takes two to HO is also garbage to meIf your only  intention every time you merge with another plane is to shoot nose on, then you are missing a big part of cartoon air combat. 

I have never ho'd a plane that wasnt coming straight at me.  it's impossible.  I dare you to post proof that you can ho a plane that isnt coming straight at you.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
AH is a game about aerial gun fighting.  When my guns get a shot at the target I take it.  The whole notion of not taking a shot when the gun bore is on the target corrupts the game and cheapens it (which is to say -has been the norm ever since AW migrated to AH).  That is my opinion and I feed it to you vigorously.

I can actually see where you are coming from.   Hear me out here friends.

I typically avoid HO's like the plague, not because I think it is some immoral cartoon sin, but because the math simply does not add up.  Why would I give someone a good chance to kill me when I know I can outmaneuver him.  With this however, I believe it to be very foolish to point your nose at your opponent and cold merge while expecting an unknown pilot in the MA to be holding guns.  In the DA, I see lots of pilots, and do it sometimes myself also, clean merging in incredibly synthetic dogfighting scenarios where they simply fly by one another going 100 mph, wave, and say "Cheerio!" and continue to fight.  This would never happen in the MA.  You would never fly directly nose to nose with an enemy.  If you do you might as well fire.  I think that's the point Yeager was trying to make.  You should avoid the HO merge at all costs but if you do happen to find yourself in one either a) fire or b) evade away from it.  

Having said that, if a pilot is constantly finding himself in HO situations he really needs to reevaluate his strategic approach to dogfighting imo.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
I have never ho'd a plane that wasnt coming straight at me.  it's impossible.  I dare you to post proof that you can ho a plane that isnt coming straight at you.
semp

You missed the point.  It's about intent.  Say two pilots are flying directly at one another.  Pilot Noob starts HOing from 1.5k out.  Pilot Vet starts evading the HO 800yds out.  So from the distances 1.5k to 800yds the noob was HOing since both noses were pointed directly at one another.  Pilot Vet then pulls his nose away from the HO and Pilot NOob yanks the stick and sprays and kills Pilot Vet by spraying the side of his aeroplane as he flies off to the side.  The bullets that caused the kill were not fired in a HO situation, yet the spray from 1.5k out was.  So the kill was not a HO kill?  :headscratch:

Pilot Noob is clearly a "HO'er" and HO'd, as his intent was to fire no matter what.  Had Pilot Vet just fired and flew directly at Pilot Noob, both pilots would have died.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:04:24 PM by grizz441 »

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
Speaking from experience Grizz is correct. A HO shot is a great equalizer, and why would a pilot of Grizz's caliber want to even the field?

There is nothing so sweet in AH as the sound of your opponent blazing away at thin air as you merge.

The first thought that comes to mind when I hear the above is "easy meat".

If I don't hear anything the first thought that comes to mind is "fights on".
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline Assi29

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
I gave Shiv a facial like he was a vivid girl after a lengthy fight cause I got scaredy cat britches that some other planes were coming in.

He had actually called them off.

Up until that point it was a pretty fun fight and he was about to get the advantage.

:o

He was a gent about it although I'm sure it was frustrating to have a fight like that peter out that way.

<S> Shiv.
In game - Assi      JG2

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Nice way of putting that, jeez :)

That was a while back but pretty sure I was losing that one the whole time anyway. Fun fight tho <S> Assi.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:45:09 PM by shiv »
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
Pilot Noob starts HOing from 1.5k out.  Pilot Vet starts evading the HO 800yds out.  So from the distances 1.5k to 800yds the noob was HOing since both noses were pointed directly at one another.  Pilot Vet then pulls his nose away from the HO and Pilot NOob yanks the stick and sprays and kills Pilot Vet by spraying the side of his aeroplane as he flies off to the side.  

No experienced AH gamer (aka vet) worth the salt on his balls would begin evading a HO shot from 800 yards out.  The art of evading the HO starts as soon as you log into the game.  Sorry to see so many people still utterly confused about the game.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
I have never ho'd a plane that wasnt coming straight at me.  it's impossible.  I dare you to post proof that you can ho a plane that isnt coming straight at you.

semp

Let's be clear about something first.  I expect in the MA that most everyone is going to face shoot.  In the end also understand that I won't say anything about being HO'd unless it's an old timer who knows better.  Thankfully that doesn't happen too often.

Just because someone is nose on to you doesn't mean they are going to shoot.  I come across folks often that don't HO, and like me try and cut the merge as close as possible.  It's definitely my fault if I guess wrong and get blasted. 

Bottom line though is it is a choice to take the face shot.  Because of that it only takes one to HO.

So you go ahead and take that shot, if that's fun for you :aok  I'm going to take my chances and not take that shot in hopes the other guy wants to dance instead :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
What I saw in the film was the P-51 and F4U in a mediocre rolling scissors, and the P-51 popped out in front, twice. I don't think the P-51 was even hit, but snap-rolled into the drink by hamfisted use of his controls.

No HO, not even close... The fact is that the P-51 pilot flew poorly, wasting his energy and getting into a maneuver fight as a result. He could have used his E to pin down the F4U and kill it.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 02:41:30 AM »
You missed the point.  It's about intent.  Say two pilots are flying directly at one another.  Pilot Noob starts HOing from 1.5k out.  Pilot Vet starts evading the HO 800yds out.  So from the distances 1.5k to 800yds the noob was HOing since both noses were pointed directly at one another.  Pilot Vet then pulls his nose away from the HO and Pilot NOob yanks the stick and sprays and kills Pilot Vet by spraying the side of his aeroplane as he flies off to the side.  The bullets that caused the kill were not fired in a HO situation, yet the spray from 1.5k out was.  So the kill was not a HO kill?  :headscratch:

Pilot Noob is clearly a "HO'er" and HO'd, as his intent was to fire no matter what.  Had Pilot Vet just fired and flew directly at Pilot Noob, both pilots would have died.

what I was saying is you come directly facing another con, chances are you gonna get sprayed.  we all know that.  sometimes you cant evade coming head on to another guy, but most of the time you do, if you pay attention to your surroundings.  there's a reason why i dont remember ever hoing you grizz.  and it's most likely has to do because you never pointed your nose at mine.

Me I dont get ho'd unless i want to get ho'd.  :salute.

semp
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:44:20 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 06:40:50 AM »
awwww the ho-topic... 
One thing what makes me mad: "it takes two to ho"
It is completely wrong. Others explained, why. It only takes one *really intelligent guy* to try to ramm his opponent at all cost even tho hes trying to evade hard.
One more thing: what are you playing for? For a little bit of "quality interaction"? If so, never ho. If you know no other acm in your pony or dweebfire, worse, never wanna lear any acm, go play console games.
Just saying.
AoM
City of ice

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
One more thing: what are you playing for? For a little bit of "quality interaction"? If so, never ho. If you know no other acm in your pony or dweebfire, worse, never wanna lear any acm, go play console games.

Reading this post makes me think that if I ever did give up on learning to fly properly, I could still get quite a lot of quality enjoyment from HOing all the time, just to annoy overly-sensitive whiners who cry on 200 every time they die

The novelty would probably wear off eventually I guess
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:13 AM »
uhoh  : )
you da man lil coombzy
Definiately the spit pilot whos hoing everyone.
If i would be you, i would be vewwy quiet.
AoM
City of ice