Author Topic: Claiming HO on 200 when you lose  (Read 4851 times)

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Claiming HO on 200 when you lose
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »
I can see this maybe when it's a matter of opinion, say some sort of deflection shot, but to do it when there's no shot at all seems pretty low.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4xxpfpt5erj922x
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Tom082980

• Zinc Member
Re: Claiming HO on 200 when you lose
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
Nice flying shiv, he got outclassed and should have saluted you, instead of claiming ho.  Keep up the good work.  :salute
Hell, it might not be very sportsman like...but it's a kill.  "Chuck Yeager"
R.I.P 11Bravo

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
Thanks Tom <<S>>

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
I remind people CONSTANTLY that it takes 2 to perform the HO.  Also, if a player turns into an attack and is the "second piece" of the HO, meaning that his turning into the attack made the HO situation possible, he dare not complain he was "HO'd".  I see and hear that quite a bit too.

It is a valid tactic.  It is just too bad it is the knee jerk tactic that it is.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »
I'm not doubting the validity of this film but it would be nice if the text you included in the image above were also in the film....

... and you should have killed him 10 seconds earlier on the snap-shot.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
I remind people CONSTANTLY that it takes 2 to perform the HO.  Also, if a player turns into an attack and is the "second piece" of the HO, meaning that his turning into the attack made the HO situation possible, he dare not complain he was "HO'd".  I see and hear that quite a bit too.

It is a valid tactic.  It is just too bad it is the knee jerk tactic that it is.

I suppose it depends on what you call a HO. To me a HO is FIRERING on a head to head merge. Watch the Krup vs Bruv films from the tourney. Many time they turned back into each other and a number of time one or the other had a shot, but they didn't take. They fought for a clean shot and then took it and it was the end of the fight in most cases.

Too many players do nothing but haul their nose about to go head to head and start firering from 1k out. That isn't a fight, its a waste of time.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
and a number of time one or the other had a shot, but they didn't take. They fought for a clean shot and then took it
AH is a game about aerial gun fighting.  When my guns get a shot at the target I take it.  The whole notion of not taking a shot when the gun bore is on the target corrupts the game and cheapens it (which is to say -has been the norm ever since AW migrated to AH).  That is my opinion and I feed it to you vigorously.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
... and you should have killed him 10 seconds earlier on the snap-shot.

Yeah. I used to shut off Combat Trim for fights like that, have to learn that again.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
AH is a game about aerial gun fighting.  When my guns get a shot at the target I take it.  The whole notion of not taking a shot when the gun bore is on the target corrupts the game and cheapens it (which is to say -has been the norm ever since AW migrated to AH).  That is my opinion and I feed it to you vigorously.

Good Grief (insert face palm here)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
Good Grief (insert face palm here)

Agreed on the face palm.

Some of us believe it's about air combat and learning to bend your cartoon plane better then the other guy.  The second we start really dying, then shooting at every opportunity including HO shots makes sense as you many never get another shot.  But until then, working towards getting the best shot is the challenge to me and what the game is about.

The argument that it takes two to HO is also garbage to me.  If your only  intention every time you merge with another plane is to shoot nose on, then you are missing a big part of cartoon air combat. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »
Guess I didn't need to post it twice
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:44:16 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
or three times for that matter :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:44:56 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
If i plane turns and comes straight at me, I am going to shoot, then move out of the way.  been burned too many times by people with tracers off, or who took a shot at the last minute.  I call that teaching some people that hoing doesnt pay  :D.  everybody takes a head to head shot, just some people dont like to admit they ho   :bolt:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
If i plane turns and comes straight at me, I am going to shoot, then move out of the way.  been burned too many times by people with tracers off, or who took a shot at the last minute.  I call that teaching some people that hoing doesnt pay  :D.  everybody takes a head to head shot, just some people dont like to admit they ho   :bolt:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
Agreed on the face palm.

Some of us believe it's about air combat and learning to bend your cartoon plane better then the other guy.  The second we start really dying, then shooting at every opportunity including HO shots makes sense as you many never get another shot.  But until then, working towards getting the best shot is the challenge to me and what the game is about.

The argument that it takes two to HO is also garbage to me.  If your only  intention every time you merge with another plane is to shoot nose on, then you are missing a big part of cartoon air combat. 

Actually glad the server lagged so it got posted 3 times.  QFT...

:cheers:
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech