Author Topic: GV's please  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
GV's please
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
Yes, please put GV's in the next scenario. I don't care about the "its not practical" argument, yes it is, now that we're not using the FSO system for scenarios.

you could have the objective be defending or attacking a hill, both sides attacking a neutral base (all AA guns destroyed before the assult beings) simultaneously, etc. Maybe the side that wins the battle should be allowed to base their aircraft at bases closer to the targets to show an advance of the ground forces. I mean isn't the point of a scenario to show how well we can run the show? If all we are doing is replicating historic battles down to the last paper clip in the objectives, then how is it any different from a jumped-up snapshot?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
Re: GV's please
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:48:32 PM »
Stalin's Fourth
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
Didn't fly (or drive) in Stalin's fouth. Earliest scenario I flew in was a walk-on for Red Storm. Are you supporting my idea or ridiculing it?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:33 AM »
Red storm had them too, and dawn of battle
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
I don't care about the "its not practical" argument, yes it is, now that we're not using the FSO system for scenarios.

Could you elaborate on the FSO system being used in scenarios?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »
simple nefarious. in The Final Battle, the one that started a dry spell for GV-inclusive scenarios, used the same point based victory system as FSO. No objectives, no goals besides getting points, and a set value for fighters killed, bombers killed, and objects destroyed.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Tank, I think that what you are seeing, since you are a noob in the Scenario bidness..., is that there has always been low turnout for GV and more importantly, WWII "Air War" is really what Aces High is about.  The vehicles help in some battles where combined forces were used/needed.

The Battle of Midway, Pearly Harbor...and many PAC battles had limited GVs, save LVTs. But then, I digress. I don't think anyone is trying to ridicule your post. Certainly, I am not either. Remember, the vast majority of players and the whole reason we are here..is flight and flying beasts.

I loved Stalin's 4th, RedStorm/Krupp Steel...and many others. I have been in GVs but I prefer flight. Axis or Allied really is unimportant to me. I usually fly underdog....either German or Japanese. There were exceptions too.
My website does document a few of the events I have had the pleasure to attend. A number of them don't have a listing, as I didn't film or was a mere walk-on for 1 or 2 frames.

I hope we can include GVs too...but getting a GV event is kinda hard, near impossible. Please keep your spirit up and join where you can. I am sure you will be an asset!

http://www.kkenshome.com/events.html

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:06:55 AM by K-KEN »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »
I think number of registered players would kind of be a non issue, just as long as we have enought to have a small GV fight.

I remember in TFB, some squadrons, JG53 in particular I think, flew with only 1-2 registered pilots showing up and being filled with walkons. Besides, I can always go round up a few tankers last minute, to fill out my platoon of Panthers  :ahand.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
I think number of registered players would kind of be a non issue, just as long as we have enought to have a small GV fight.

I remember in TFB, some squadrons, JG53 in particular I think, flew with only 1-2 registered pilots showing up and being filled with walkons. Besides, I can always go round up a few tankers last minute, to fill out my platoon of Panthers  :ahand.

I think you are missing the part of Scenarios that is most important.... that is they recreate the event based on the war and if it's a bombing mission over Germany, then obviously there are no GVs. Sure GVs may have been on the ground but were not a "key" part of the battle/offensive. If you just want a few players in GVs, that will not happen. Scenarios "require" the CMs to research what vehicles were involved directly with the battle, a CO has  to  "plan" actions for each specific group, there has to be 4 frames of content where the GV was a large part of the event. It must be part of a capture that involved GVs and ground forces during the WWII actual battle.  

I might recommend, you get a specific time frame where GVs were used in support, in a large scale way, during WWII and the name of the battle.  It sells better than ....  "I want".  

I want Normandy, but that didn't have a lot of Air other than C47s and a "couple" of German fighters. The naval part and the landings would be very cool. LVTs, M3s, Shore batteries blazing.... but then that is hard to tie any other flights. I proposed it years ago, and still have hopes we can do something leading up to it and the last frame being the actual invasion.

So you see, we do think alike in some ways.  Do some real research, find a battle that GVs provided large support and we might have something!!

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:39:23 AM by K-KEN »

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
The problem with walkons is they don't register...that's why they are called walkons. It's hard to communicate/plan anything when you are dealing with walk-ons. Maybe if you would rally them up and give them a voice, that way the CM's would know that some folks want to take them, then they could spend time setting up a scenario that GV'ers would like.

But since we can't even get folks to register for an airplane, then were probably a good deal away from getting GV's to do it.

Besides the fact there won't be any spawns to camp, I doubt many GV'ers would show.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Tank, you seem to be basing your entire opinion of scenarios on the limited exposure you have.  Although that is natural, it does limit your view and bias your comments.  There are several variations of GV battles, with different goals and objectives, and have been done for over 20 years.  There are a great many events archived on ahevents.org that can be researched and referenced.  Feel free to browse them and see what has been done prior to telling us what is wrong.  You will come off more informed and possibly contribute something to the ongoing discussions about what scenarios can actually do.
We will spend as much time as we can addressing peoples interests and engaging in design discussions, we don't do well with misinformation and vague generic assumptions.
You are more than welcome to participate in engaging discussions, but we will only put in as much effort as you are willing to put in. Find out what we do, how we do it and why, before you tell us what's wrong.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »
I think you are missing the part of Scenarios that is most important.... that is they recreate the event based on the war and if it's a bombing mission over Germany, then obviously there are no GVs. Sure GVs may have been on the ground but were not a "key" part of the battle/offensive. If you just want a few players in GVs, that will not happen. Scenarios "require" the CMs to research what vehicles were involved directly with the battle, a CO has  to  "plan" actions for each specific group, there has to be 4 frames of content where the GV was a large part of the event. It must be part of a capture that involved GVs and ground forces during the WWII actual battle.  

I might recommend, you get a specific time frame where GVs were used in support, in a large scale way, during WWII and the name of the battle.  It sells better than ....  "I want".  

I want Normandy, but that didn't have a lot of Air other than C47s and a "couple" of German fighters. The naval part and the landings would be very cool. LVTs, M3s, Shore batteries blazing.... but then that is hard to tie any other flights. I proposed it years ago, and still have hopes we can do something leading up to it and the last frame being the actual invasion.

Well one of my big issues with TFB is that it had a lot of room for GV includment that wasn't utilized, and to the historical issue, the battle never happened, so its a moot point.

HighTone, its not like there will be a multi-pronged, coordinated strike with multiple GV teams. The whole spawn point thing prevents that. Best we could do is attack multiple bases.

And I'm sure more GV'ers would be interested if they had an actual effect on how the scenario played out. Say if they capture a fuel depot, then the closest two bases are restricted from taking DT's. It would require cooperation with the ground forces on the part of the airforce. If you don't provide adequate air support for your T-34's, then you have only yourself to blame when the panther rgiment captures your fuel supply.

Conversly, give the aircraft the ability to hit factories, or 'train yards' that will reduce the number of heavy tank units, or the number of lives the GV's have. IMO it should be a trade off: whats more important to distrupt, fuel refinment, ordnance factories, tank factries, etc.?

And ROC, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the scnarios, I'm just saying that, recently, we haven't hjad any scenarios with GV's in them.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
TFB wouldn't have had gvs anyways because it was based on a hypothetical situation where the German high command sent all of its remaining Luftwaffe to Norway. No tanks.

If there was an event where tanks were included, it would have to be based on a historical battle where tanks played a pivotal role. I didn't play dawn of battle, but I'm pretty sure it worked with aircraft supporting tanks, and tanks supporting aircraft at the same time. Both have equally important roles, both have set objectives to complete more-or-less independently. Scenarios will always focus on the air battle simply because thats what the game is based on. Tank units are always harder to coordinate, especially if those units have the ability to switch from tanks to troops, or something like that. Also, you can't ask most people to drive 25 miles to a Target, then he gets there and is killed instantly, and expect him to have fun and come back.

I would like to see another event with gvs, but there won't be an event any time soon focusing on gvs
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »
I thought it was all remaining forces, not just ground forces. my mistake.

Battle of france
Kursk
Stalingrad
Barbarossa
Italian front
Afrika

All those could include both aircraft and GV's.

Disable all 17lbers if they're a concern.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »
GV's are not part of every scenario (depends on the scenario) but were part of these past scenarios, with the ability to affect the outcome of the scenario.

Stalin's Fourth
Operation Husky
Tunisia
Red Storm

We'll have them from time to time in scenarios in the future as well.