Author Topic: Next Scenario  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Next Scenario
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
:huh :confused: :headscratch: :uhoh......

:bolt:

Ahh but it was classic Wildcat.  Us in low Spit Vs bounced by higher 190s.  Remember we're having to type the plan since there was no vox.  You break right, I'll go left....It works.  Dell kills the guy that follows me, I shoot up the guy that follows him and we scare the other one away cause we can't catch em.  We should have been easy pickings.

And as Del says, there are moments in scenarios that grab you and you want that feeling again as it's not something that can be replicated in anything but a scenario.  Probably shouldn't mention the 602 Spit IXs then either :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
I know what you mean, corky. I'm getting that lutfwaffe urge back from tfb  :)
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
Ahh but it was classic Wildcat.  Us in low Spit Vs bounced by higher 190s.  Remember we're having to type the plan since there was no vox.  You break right, I'll go left....It works.  Dell kills the guy that follows me, I shoot up the guy that follows him and we scare the other one away cause we can't catch em.  We should have been easy pickings.

And as Del says, there are moments in scenarios that grab you and you want that feeling again as it's not something that can be replicated in anything but a scenario.  Probably shouldn't mention the 602 Spit IXs then either :)

Great tale...

Hey Brooke we need a scenario!!!

:D
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 04:25:56 AM »
is it BoG time again? count me IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rock :O :O :O :lol :lol :lol

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:06 AM »
The Philippine Phandango was historically accurate, but as lopsided as it could be. I was KKEN's XO for the scenario. It was tough trying to plan against the hardware. The KI-61s were getting ripped apart by P-38Js and P-47D-25s. Even the FM2s were as fast or faster than the KI-61s, not to mention more maneuverable. That is the type of scenario that turns players off. The design was great. The planning was great. Fencer did a fantastic job putting it together. But, the hardware was a historical setup for the Japanese to be defeated, against some super tough and resilient American aircraft.

This scenario came with canned mission assignments for each aircraft group that had to be followed.  The Ki61s were often assigned to jabo vs. ground and water targets with Nikis flying air cover.  I don't know if that was done for historical reasons or not, but that is entirely backwards.  The Ki61s are outclassed in the scenario to begin with, the only way to make them useful is to use them correctly, and that would be to have them always flying air cover, and never jabo.  The Niki with its cannons is far better suited to taking out ground and sea targets.  Unfortunately this was out of KKEN's hands, he had to follow the canned mission assignments.

The other problem is that squad sizes were really really random even before no shows were taken into consideration.  To keep it fair to everyone, all squads should be around the same size, because when two opposing squads meet in the air, the one with greater numbers has a big advantage.  In PP, the Ki61s had really small squad sizes while my Niki squad had up to 14 slots.  This just doesn't make sense unless it was done for historical reasons.  For balance, if anything the outclassed aircraft should be given larger squad sizes, certainly not smaller.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
This scenario came with canned mission assignments for each aircraft group that had to be followed.  The Ki61s were often assigned to jabo vs. ground and water targets with Nikis flying air cover.  I don't know if that was done for historical reasons or not, but that is entirely backwards.  The Ki61s are outclassed in the scenario to begin with, the only way to make them useful is to use them correctly, and that would be to have them always flying air cover, and never jabo.  The Niki with its cannons is far better suited to taking out ground and sea targets.  Unfortunately this was out of KKEN's hands, he had to follow the canned mission assignments.

The other problem is that squad sizes were really really random even before no shows were taken into consideration.  To keep it fair to everyone, all squads should be around the same size, because when two opposing squads meet in the air, the one with greater numbers has a big advantage.  In PP, the Ki61s had really small squad sizes while my Niki squad had up to 14 slots.  This just doesn't make sense unless it was done for historical reasons.  For balance, if anything the outclassed aircraft should be given larger squad sizes, certainly not smaller.

BD,

This is exactly my point about a scenario like the second Battle of Wake Island. The scenario starts early enough in the war that the uber aircraft are not that uber and everyone would base success in the air on their skill level rather than 500 more horsepower or twice the fire power.

Cheers

:salute
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
The issue is most people are only willing to fly the uber LW rides. They don't seem to realize that you have the same advantages, everything is just slowed down about 50mph in the EW arena

Tank,

I thought about this for a few minutes. It's not that they only want to fly LW uber birds of prey. It's just that they have seen too many film shots of burning Japaneses fighters after a single hit from a .50 cal API shell from 1500 yards astern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htE4KpXKE2I&feature=player_detailpage

At least we have icons.  :lol

:D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »
Redtail, you are both factually and conceptually wrong. Most guncam footage would be 150-200 yards max. 300 yards was considered "out of range" in most cases.

Further, that's not why people don't like the scenario in question. You and Tank are wrong that it has to do with "I want to fly my plane only!" and the MA mentality. That's a beginner mindset. Scenarios are filled with people that have already progressed PAST that stage. The reason they WANT scenarios is because of the history, the matchups, because they like the planes in it (say you love C205s for example). We have a proven scenario base so we know several hundred people feel this way consistently and over the years keep returning for many different scenarios.

Claiming poor turnout is because there are no LW MA monster rides is ludicrous.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »
Redtail, you are both factually and conceptually wrong. Most guncam footage would be 150-200 yards max. 300 yards was considered "out of range" in most cases.

Further, that's not why people don't like the scenario in question. You and Tank are wrong that it has to do with "I want to fly my plane only!" and the MA mentality. That's a beginner mindset. Scenarios are filled with people that have already progressed PAST that stage. The reason they WANT scenarios is because of the history, the matchups, because they like the planes in it (say you love C205s for example). We have a proven scenario base so we know several hundred people feel this way consistently and over the years keep returning for many different scenarios.

Claiming poor turnout is because there are no LW MA monster rides is ludicrous.

Krusty,

If I am not the first to tell you that you take things a bit too seriously. I may be the one hundred thousandth.
Yes Krusty… It was meant to be a joke. You can laugh now… HAHAHA  :headscratch: :lol

Cheers...

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
for me, its just planeset accuracy, thats all.
if i dress up in my jap pilot uniform, htc should at least provide historically accurate planes.  :D