Author Topic: USA Falls to Japan at Women's World Cup  (Read 1358 times)

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
Re: USA Falls to Japan at Women's World Cup
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
Would be nice if the mens league could learn from this match an quit all the stupid play acting every time someone gets near them. All the falling and ankle grabbing makes them look like a bunch of kids. Can't say women because at least they play on even when they get clipped. The women played a great game!  What I can't figure out is why wasn't this carried live in the USA? I had to get a play by play from my daughter in Germany online.
Yea, simply because I can

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »
Would be nice if the mens league could learn from this match an quit all the stupid play acting every time someone gets near them. All the falling and ankle grabbing makes them look like a bunch of kids. Can't say women because at least they play on even when they get clipped. The women played a great game!  What I can't figure out is why wasn't this carried live in the USA? I had to get a play by play from my daughter in Germany online.

It was. It was on ESPN (on TV as well as live streaming from their website) and perhaps other sports networks.

I watched it live anyhow.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »
Soccer is the most endurance heavy sport there is, because there are no breaks. Sad to see them lose, especially with all the chances. Oh well, there is always next year.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »
Was a very great game to watch, just extremely frustrating to watch the U.S. lose in the finals of another major tournament (Men losing the Gold Cup to Mexico a short while back).  :bhead Just when things are looking up in the US for Football.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »
I had a girlfriend who played soccer/football. Had a great body.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
The Japanese need to win every once in a while.   ;)

They both played an entertaining game, I'm not a big soccer fan but it was fun to watch. 

:salute Japan Women's Soccer Team!  and a job well done to the US gals.   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
"Miracle on Ice on grass" is right. This is fairytale stuff. WHAT a finish, what a sports story.

Kudos to the US women for holding their dignity after the PKs,  :salute
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »
Although im not a soccer fan i enjoyed it. USA was lucky near the end it wasnt 4-2.

I will say Im not a fan of how they end the game pn penalty kicks. Kind of anti-climax. Same as winning by a field goal in the NFL at the last second.

~AoM~

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
I don't really follow soccer, but I thought this was a great game (even if my home team did lose).  Completely missing the goal in a penalty kick, when playing at the highest level of the sport, is ridiculous.  She knew it, too.  Japan deserves the win.
==========

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »
Think about the pressure though really.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
GREAT!

Now we can get on to REAL sports and not just girls kick ball!

You really set your self up on that.   :aok
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 02:46:31 AM »
Meh, US were easy to beat. Japan on the other hand....

:bolt:

The Few GFC

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
Running up and down a field for 120 minutes....that isn't as hard as people make it out to be. I referee high school and college lacrosse games and that sport is constant up and down sprints with very little jogging at all. I have no cartilage in my knees from playing college football back when turf was crap indoor/outdoor carpet so I pay for it the next couple of days between games but its worth it.

As for a real sport it comes down to TWO games on the planet that incorporate everything...American Football and Lacrosse. Speed, power, agility, explosive power, MENTAL toughness, field awareness, etc...I could go on and on but girls or boys kick ball is just that...KICK BALL!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »
I give it until before the end of the week that somebody, somewhere, demands radiation testing for any signs of athleticly advantageous mutations or contaminates on their entire team. 
:noid   :bolt:   :rofl

Was a great game, Japan's win was a well deserved surprise IMO.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
now I've always looked at the women's game as a non event but after watching our game against france our women also deserved to go through because they let in a very late equaliser when the manager spurned all her subs to defend the lead. 

Tactically, physically and a couple of them had real skill on the ball.   Penalties are there to decide a winner otherwise you could play all day.   Heartbreaking for the losers but euphoria for the winners.   Drama tension pressure  makes it exciting!!

Now if our men played with half the spirit the English ladies did we would be world champions much more often  ;)

Kudos to all of them. 
The Few ***
F.P.H