Author Topic: New rifle for daughter  (Read 1653 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Re: New rifle for daughter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
DON'T FOLLOW THE LEMMINGS ON THE "BARREL BREAK IN" CRAP!!!!

Here are just a few reasons why and a little idea that it all started from some barrel maker who wanted to sell more rifle barrels.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

I have never shot a rifle to "break in" a barrel. When I get a new rifle I will take it out to the range and put about 20-30 rounds through it while siting in my scope; before a thorough cleaning. Then the next time I take it out is to hunt or shoot just for the heck of it. If I am just shooting then I typically put somewhere between 50-100 rounds through it on the range over a couple of days and then I clean it.

I never do all that stupid routine of the "break in" since I have NEVER seen it effect bench or free hand shooting accuracy.

I am in agreement with you about elaborate break-in procedures. Browning told me to shoot 5 shots of standard, regular, typical ammo and then clean the barrel with Hoppes No 9 and Hoppes copper solvent. Then shoot and clean as you normally would.

By the way I only use carbon fiber cleaning rods and good quality bore guides. If I need to use a brush then it's a nylon one. Only use Hoppes for solvent and it's done great for me over the years.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
That is still more than I will go through to get comfortable with a gun.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »
I am in agreement with you about elaborate break-in procedures. Browning told me to shoot 5 shots of standard, regular, typical ammo and then clean the barrel with Hoppes No 9 and Hoppes copper solvent. Then shoot and clean as you normally would.

By the way I only use carbon fiber cleaning rods and good quality bore guides. If I need to use a brush then it's a nylon one. Only use Hoppes for solvent and it's done great for me over the years.
+1 my dad makes me clean the guns after we go shooting :bhead
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:27:01 PM by M0nkey_Man »
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
Barrell break in can be as elaborate as you want it to be.  I've done the 1 clean, then 2 clean, then 3 clean , 4 clean , 5 clean , then 5 shots clean, then 10 shots clean, then normal strings (usually 50 or so are target rifles).  i've also done the 5 shot then clean, then normal strings as well.  Both did just fine.

I suggest cleaning the barrel BEFORE you shoot a precision rifle for the first time just to get any speec of gunk out of the bore that might cause issues, but all in all... jsut shoot it and watch your barrel heat.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
Use brass brushes if you can splurge for them with your cleanings.  Nylon brushes are more abrasive than brass brushes IMO. 

I personally also like that with the brass brushes I can really work them to get the rifling cleaned out without any harm done to barrel.  I never use a "heavy" solvent on my guns, I always use milder solvents (Hoppes #9) and oil - or my favorite method for specifically black powder, dish soap and warm/hot water followed by a thorough drying and oiling.

I've never really understood the "break in" procedures that have been around only the last few years.  I was taught three steps to a new gun though that I've always followed and never had a problem with using, the other seemed an unnecessary breaking-in of a gun/barrel in a more excessive/aggressive manner:
1. Thoroughly clean and oil your new gun (and magazines) before taking it to the range.  Familiarize yourself with the working/moving parts of the gun (trigger, hammer, springs, slides, bolts, pins, catches, etc.) because in step 3 you should also be looking for any unordinary/excessive wear to those parts.
2. Thoroughly go out and have fun with your new toy.  Take a break between sessions/magazines because while you will want to shoot ~100-200+ rounds on its first day (a good thing), you don't want to get the barrel "hot" on the first day, just warm it up.
3.  Clean it when you get home, take your time studying the results of your outing on it (step two) and noting where additional attention may be needed to cleaning/oiling it in the future.

If you're a first-time buyer, I'd recommend going to a real brick-n-mortar store and dealer, especially if you're concerned with any of this breaking-in stuff.  They'll walk you through the FAQs and get you setup with your purchase.  Also every gun I've picked up from a dealer seems to of gotten a cleaning/check done by them before they hand it off to you and I would consider range-ready, I never find a spec of crud left in it, while "out-of-the-box" they came in from the factory guns I've found to never be 100% clean oiled and range-ready (IMO).

Fantastic new addition to the collection and hunting buddy ya got there Rog!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:34:34 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
Nice

Can you give some more details on this photo?

What did the guide tell you about the significance of the red face dot on the forehead after the kill?

I have googled around and cant find anything. I am sure he explained it to you

There has to be some cultural significance tying back to the indigenous people with this ritual....a 'right of passage tradition'?...please share the back-story...

This is a priceless picture by the way...beyond awesome. I love the intensity in the eyes of your daughter. She was paying attention.

:aok

(Image removed from quote.)

Interesting you asked. It's an old tradition that maybe dates back to some American Indian blood in our family. As it turns out there was something very similar in Africa that they called the eagle eye. She also took a small bite of the raw liver as well.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »
If this thread wasn't meant to be hijacked by children then please stop posting in it.

Anyways, how much does it cost to go on a hunting trip to Africa?

It would usually be on the expensive side but we were traveling with South African friends toward the Kruger National Park and Kapama Game Reserve. The ranch she hunted on was about 10,000 acres. The kill fee was about $150 and the guide $50 and I gave $20 to the fellers that cut up the meat.

She wanted a ram but all we could find to get a shot at was a female which she ended up taking. We only had that day to hunt. I don't really hunt anymore but enjoy taking my daughter.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
Great to see a young one interested in hunting.  I took my 10 year old son a couple of times (one of which he got to see dad bag his first coyote), but he doesn';t have the patience or attention span to stay out all day.  I took my 8 year old daughter last year and see loved it, with not a single complaint all day long.  Best part of the day was when dad was "effectively watching the woods" ie. taking a nap.  She wakes me up by whispering urgently from her spot about 10 yards away.  I open my eyes to 8 does standing around her with her saying "Daddy...shoot one!!".  I offered to get my son a gun for Christmas, but he wasn't interested.  My girl on the other hand jumped at it.  I bought her a pink Rossi interchangable barrel .22LR/.410 combo.  All she wants to know is when squirrel season starts.  Hopefully, she is strong enough to hold one of the deer rifles this year as well.  I need a hunting buddy since my grandfather passed this year.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
a dam fine setup there sir.  :salute 7mm08 a great round too.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE