Author Topic: Modify proxy kill range on Bombers  (Read 821 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Modify proxy kill range on Bombers
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 01:59:25 AM »

Bailing is being counted as "death" for score purposes. If score is a concern, you try to stay alive at all costs. It's two reasons why some players bomb'n'bail on a regular base: One is to deny the other player a kill, but most of the time it's simply to reduce turnaround time and to fly more sorties in a given time - drop bombs on town or hangars and get another set of Lancs back in the air before the defenders can say "cucumber"...
I have had bombers bail on me after I climbed to intercept on several occasions, both before and after they dropped their bombs.  In the cases where it was after they dropped their bombs it was always well after the bombs had hit, so I can only assume they had intended to land the bombers until they decided I had gotten too close.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:10 AM »
The only issue here is that the bailer is denying you the chance to shoot him down, nothing more or less. So for the few that do so, and lets face it, it just a gamer that takes that attitude. Is it really necessary to change the way the game is set up? Personally I don't think so, but it did make me think about it.

The alternative is that you will encourage others to fly out of range of a bomber in the hope that the poor sucker who attacks it on it's own will do some critical damage and get shot down, only for the hang about fighter to "steal" the kills. We used to get kill stealling before the way kills got awarded was changed and yet I still see this often, a "dead" fighter floating down minus its tail and everyone below trying to "kill" it.

There are plenty of people who will exploit the weakness's in the game to spoil the game play, so all that can be done is to get the right balance.
Solving one problem and creating a another perhaps bigger one is not the way to do it.

A penalty to the bailer with nothing to attackers is the only way I can think of that does not seem to create another problem. So getting absolutely no points for bailing from undamaged aircraft may help, but it won't stop the spoilers.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:42 AM »
The only issue here is that the bailer is denying you the chance to shoot him down, nothing more or less. So for the few that do so, and lets face it, it just a gamer that takes that attitude. Is it really necessary to change the way the game is set up? Personally I don't think so, but it did make me think about it.

The alternative is that you will encourage others to fly out of range of a bomber in the hope that the poor sucker who attacks it on it's own will do some critical damage and get shot down, only for the hang about fighter to "steal" the kills. We used to get kill stealling before the way kills got awarded was changed and yet I still see this often, a "dead" fighter floating down minus its tail and everyone below trying to "kill" it.

There are plenty of people who will exploit the weakness's in the game to spoil the game play, so all that can be done is to get the right balance.
Solving one problem and creating a another perhaps bigger one is not the way to do it.

A penalty to the bailer with nothing to attackers is the only way I can think of that does not seem to create another problem. So getting absolutely no points for bailing from undamaged aircraft may help, but it won't stop the spoilers.

in that case the fighter that takes his time to get alt and set up his merges on buffs is denying the buff a kill.  so if a fighter takes longer than let's say 1 min to attack it automatically counts as a kill for the buff.  same for the fighter that dives kills just one buff and runs away.  it denies the buff driver a kill.  so to make it fair if a buff driver bails out he gets no point.  if a fighter doesnt kill all 3 buffs in 2 min or he dicides to not engage then he gets no points either.

semp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
in that case the fighter that takes his time to get alt and set up his merges on buffs is denying the buff a kill.  so if a fighter takes longer than let's say 1 min to attack it automatically counts as a kill for the buff.  same for the fighter that dives kills just one buff and runs away.  it denies the buff driver a kill.  so to make it fair if a buff driver bails out he gets no point.  if a fighter doesnt kill all 3 buffs in 2 min or he dicides to not engage then he gets no points either.

semp

semp

Sounds a load of nonsense to me  :rofl

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:54 AM »
Sorry guys, but that is stupid.  If the bomber stays in his planes he might win, he might lose, the fighter and the bomber get to, you know, do the PvP thing and fight.  If the bomber bails from planes with no damage it is a clear bid to avoid any combat and any chance of winning.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 05:34:33 AM »
If we are talking about score.....  The fighter score....  The fighter pilot spends 23 minutes climbing, pursuing, getting to a strike vector.  ( Kills per hour of flight/per sortie )  If we were talking about score that is. 

Bailing is being counted as "death" for score purposes. If score is a concern, you try to stay alive at all costs. It's two reasons why some players bomb'n'bail on a regular base: One is to deny the other player a kill, but most of the time it's simply to reduce turnaround time and to fly more sorties in a given time - drop bombs on town or hangars and get another set of Lancs back in the air before the defenders can say "cucumber"...

I'm personally more a fan of the perks....  I crash 262's enough to need those darn fighter perks and I get very frustrated with this game when I spent 20-25 minutes going after Lancs just to have them bail.   

:airplane:

YEAH!!!  What he says!!!   :aok

Sorry guys, but that is stupid.  If the bomber stays in his planes he might win, he might lose, the fighter and the bomber get to, you know, do the PvP thing and fight.  If the bomber bails from planes with no damage it is a clear bid to avoid any combat and any chance of winning.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »
I've had at least 14 me163s up after the con over thier HQ, find a fighter instead of a bomber, make a couple of passes, and then run away across the strats or HQ (or both) and bail or ditch once they are out of icon range.

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
Appreciate the dailogue, thus far.  I am not seeing any strong objections to increasing the air proxy kill range from 3.0 to 6.0 in the context that it "ruins the game" in some unexpected fashion.    What I don't know if its a config thing or a hard coded thing.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »
you guys do know that proxies don't count towards score.  on the buffs side it counts as a death.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
you guys do know that proxies don't count towards score.  on the buffs side it counts as a death.

semp

You might not get perks, but the kills are scored as any other when it comes to K/D ratio etc. for the ranking system.  So in that respect, they are already as legitimate as any other kills.

It's an effort issue. You took the effort, and TIME, to pursue and just as you get in icon range, the buffs you've been chasing for 15 minutes bail out.

Your reward for the time you've spent? NADA.

I don't climb after buffs any more. That's a + for the buffs. No opposition.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 12:25:20 AM »
You guys also realize that the game is not presently constructed to stratify Proxy range based on ride type?

If you up it for bombers you up it for the whole pie

Chance that HiTech will add proxy range stratification by ride type  = 0%

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:28:17 AM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »
By the way...

Manuever Kill Range is 6000 and NOT 3000 in the LWMA as suggested in the OP, which happens to be coincidental with Enemy Icon Range. If the plane is in icon range and he bails you get the kill (providing you have the preponderance of damage if any is shared with other pilots within the same sphere range)

HiTech himself posted this:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291383.msg3708929.html#msg3708929

Oneway
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:16:44 AM by oneway »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
By the way...

Manuever Kill Range is 6000 and NOT 3000 in the LWMA as suggested in the OP, which happens to be coincidental with Enemy Icon Range.
Oneway

No, it is not coincidental with Enemy Icon Range:

ManuverKillRange=6000.000000
EnemyIconRange=18000
FriendlyIconRange=18000

And those distances are given in feet.
So your enemy can be well withing icon range yet do not give you a proxy when he bails.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:25 AM »
It's 2k actually.   :salute

By the way...

Manuever Kill Range is 6000 and NOT 3000 in the LWMA as suggested in the OP, which happens to be coincidental with Enemy Icon Range. If the plane is in icon range and he bails you get the kill (providing you have the preponderance of damage if any is shared with other pilots within the same sphere range)

HiTech himself posted this:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291383.msg3708929.html#msg3708929

Oneway
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.