Author Topic: The thing about the King Tiger..  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
The thing about the King Tiger..
« on: July 20, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
... which I'm really curious about how it will play out is the thickness of the turret and hull top armor. So far the best protected tanks in AH have 25-26mm of armor there, but according to several sources I have checked, the Tiger II has 40-44mm.

Against the Il-2 and the Hurricane IID, that could make a difference. If so, it could make for some interesting offensive options...

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: The thing about the King Tiger..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
... which I'm really curious about how it will play out is the thickness of the turret and hull top armor. So far the best protected tanks in AH have 25-26mm of armor there, but according to several sources I have checked, the Tiger II has 40-44mm.

Against the Il-2 and the Hurricane IID, that could make a difference. If so, it could make for some interesting offensive options...

Never fear, the 1999 enabled yard big RED icon will show the bomb tards right where he is sitting.  The other Achillies heel of the KT is going to be turret traverse.  Did this thing have true pivot ability like the Panther and Tiger?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
Never fear, the 1999 enabled yard big RED icon will show the bomb tards right where he is sitting. 

Yes, but you can disable ords at enemy fields. And then you have an opportunity... that's what happened in the old times. Ords went down and a few couple of GVs spawned in. If there were one or two Tigers amongst them, the base was in trouble and you could really have a exciting battle, as - in absentia 37mm Il-2 and B-25H - the only thing that could then reliably stop a Tiger was another Tiger.

But of course, in most AH situations the undoubtedly highly perked Tiger II will be playing on home turf only, mostly on concrete...

(That's one general problem in AH ground gameplay - if you spawn in to attack an enemy base, you are basically a dead tank from the start. Few are really willing to gamble a huge amount of perks if the chance of getting "home" in any way are almost nil.)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
Actually I believe the new Tiger 1 has 40mm of top turret armour as well. The last few months of Tiger 1 production had this mod incorporated, along with the monocular gunsight and some other stuff and that's the version HTC have modelled. Not sure if the old AH Tiger 1 had 25mm or 40mm top turret armour though.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
If only it would break down, and run out of fuel like the real deal :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline iron650

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
It does run out of fuel after a while.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
Actually I believe the new Tiger 1 has 40mm of top turret armour as well. The last few months of Tiger 1 production had this mod incorporated, along with the monocular gunsight and some other stuff and that's the version HTC have modelled. Not sure if the old AH Tiger 1 had 25mm or 40mm top turret armour though.

the old AH Tiger 1 has 26mm, according to the info in hangar and the ease at which my Hurri D kills it :)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »
The NS-37, unusually for the USSR, used a short-recoil mechanism and was belt-fed. It was a particularly slim weapon, with a compact mechanism, suitable for fitting between the banks of a liquid-cooled vee-engine to fire through the hollow propeller hub. The powerful 37x195 ammunition is quoted as penetrating 48mm / 500m / 90 degrees, enough to pose a threat to the side or rear armour of virtually any tank.
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tankbusters.htm

...so it'll be hardest tank to kill with an Il-2 but according the above still very much killable.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »
The NS-37, unusually for the USSR, used a short-recoil mechanism and was belt-fed. It was a particularly slim weapon, with a compact mechanism, suitable for fitting between the banks of a liquid-cooled vee-engine to fire through the hollow propeller hub. The powerful 37x195 ammunition is quoted as penetrating 48mm / 500m / 90 degrees, enough to pose a threat to the side or rear armour of virtually any tank.
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tankbusters.htm

...so it'll be hardest tank to kill with an Il-2 but according the above still very much killable.

"Very much" is somewhat debatable. ;)

The thing is, very few players are able to dive on their target at such a steep angle while still being able to hit the moving tank and not to auger. Even 60? dive angle is quite difficult and rarely seen in Il-2 attacks in AH. It's easy to misjudge the diving angle, the actual dive is often far less steep as one thinks when sitting in the cockpit. (I recently reviewed some of my successful Hurri D runs and what thought being 60-70? dives were in fact only 45? ones when I measured the angle  :uhoh ....)

An armor plate being 40mm thick at 90? dive angle would have an effective thickness of 46mm at 60? and 57mm at 45?. And this is not taking into effect any additional glancing modifiers caused by the slope. For example I know that the 37mm APCR round of the Ju-87D could penetrate ~95mm of armor at 600m and 90 degrees, but only half of that at 60 degrees.

great... now the forum is also changing the degree symbol into a "?"  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:40:02 PM by Lusche »

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
What is the side thickness of an M4/76?  I know that I can take out those at with a 0 deflection at lawnmower alt in an IL2 with a decent burst.  Once again it seems with any deflection there is high chance of a richocet, and you're a sitting duck for the main gun.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
Wonder what the armor penetration of a Mollins 57mm gun was?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »
What is the side thickness of an M4/76?  I know that I can take out those at with a 0 deflection at lawnmower alt in an IL2 with a decent burst.  Once again it seems with any deflection there is high chance of a richocet, and you're a sitting duck for the main gun.

38mm

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
well thats closer, but that extra 2-6mm could be a world of difference. 
do you know if certain "weak" spots are modeled in our GVs, like the ammo bin on the upper front side of the m4?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
It is also much easier to get a near 90 degree hit on a M4A3's side armor than it will be to get a similar hit on the deck armor of a Tiger II.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-