Author Topic: The thing about the King Tiger..  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The thing about the King Tiger..
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
To illustrate:

This is a typical, successful attack on a tank by me in a Hurricane D:

And that's only 45 degrees.
Against a T-34/76 or a Tiger I would have used a steeper angle (up to 60 deg), but that takes a very careful setup and is quite easy to foil for the enemy tank if he's free to move. Most regular players I see doing attack runs in Il-2s come in at angles between 30 and 45 degrees.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
Here is a link showing some information about the Mollins 57mm.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Molins.htm

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:15:21 PM »
The King Tiger?s 88mm main gun has a muzzle velocity of 1000m per second when firing armor piercing rounds. It was highly accurate and able to penetrate 150mm of armor at distances exceeding 2200m. Since the flight time of an armor piercing round at a range of 2200m is about 2.2 seconds or less, accuracy and correction of fire against moving targets is more important than with older anti tank guns. This made this heavy predator ideally suited to open terrain where it could engage enemy tanks at long range before the opponent?s weapons were even in range.

Krupp had designed the turrets to fit both the Porsche and Henschel chassis. The initial design called P-2 Turm (or commonly known as Porsche turret) mounted a single piece (monobloc) barrel of the 88mm and had a curved mantlet in the front. The front armor was 100 mm thick, the sides were 88mm thick sloped at 60 degrees and the top armor was 40mm thick. It had space to carry 16 rounds of ammunition in the turret. However, the curved mantlet in the front acted as a shot trap by deflecting incoming shots downwards towards the roof of the hull. A new design was ordered to fix this but as an interim measure, it was decided to go ahead with the production of 50 units with this turret. This was commonly referred to as Porsche turret. The new design called Serien Turm, or commonly known as Henschel or Production turret was to retain the many features of the Porsche turret and was to be adopted for mass production. Henschel turret had the front curved mantlet replaced with one 180mm thick armor plate sloped at 81 degrees. The sides were altered to slope at 69 degrees and it could carry an additional 6 six rounds or 22 rounds of ammunition in the turret. The full combat weight was 68,500kg when fitted with the Porsche turret and 69,800kg with the Henschel turret.

Armor (mm/angle)             Front              Side              Rear            Top/Bottom
Porsche turret              100/curved         80/30           80/30           40/77 40/90
Henschel turret            180/9                 80/21           80/21           40/78 40/90
Superstructure             150/50               80/25            N/A             40/90 40/90
Hull                           100/50                80/0             80/0             40-    25/90

Some intresting info here.

http://www.worldwar2aces.com/

71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
I wonder how well the turret rear hatch handles a 37mm...

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
(That's one general problem in AH ground gameplay - if you spawn in to attack an enemy base, you are basically a dead tank from the start. Few are really willing to gamble a huge amount of perks if the chance of getting "home" in any way are almost nil.)

I'll do it. I often take out perk tanks on base assults if I know more than 4 vehicles are up. I just in a place no one would expect untill things quiet down, or I 'll just drive off.

do you know if certain "weak" spots are modeled in our GVs, like the ammo bin on the upper front side of the m4?

Side ammo bins of the M4(75). Located along the top edge of the hull.   

Side driver's comparment of the T-34, just above the tracks.

Side of the Panzer's turret really seems to be vulnerable to the Il-2's 37mm

Sweet spot for the panther is on the upper engine decking, just behind the turret. You punch through the top armor and get your shells into the fighting compartment, rather than in the engine compartment I would guess.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
well thats closer, but that extra 2-6mm could be a world of difference. 
do you know if certain "weak" spots are modeled in our GVs, like the ammo bin on the upper front side of the m4?

Icepack  how do you know these weak spots are a part of AH.  I am looking for more info than a "hunch"  IE. is this part of the coad?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Icepack   :headscratch:? I'm not sure if they're part of the coad, and I'm not sure if HTC would be willing to disclose those sweet-spots if they WERE in the coad

i KNOW the T-34 one is, or at least was real untill the Panther was added if its not still around. IIRC, its the only place you can kill it with an HE round (from a tiger and maybe a panther) aside from the top.

Theres a good aim spot at the base of the M4's hull, its real, its been identifed by the GV community. Would you consider that a weak spot? The same spot is also good for the T-34. Its a weakess with the curved armor. Since it has to curve around to become the bottom of the hull, the slope is less (and in some places non-existant), which results in an area protected by fewer mm of armor.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
OOPS, I meant that question for tank ace :uhoh
starting to confuse them :confused:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
ummmmm...... Icepack hasn't even posted in this thread  ;).

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:31 AM »
"Very much" is somewhat debatable. ;)

Many things are. :)

Then there's always the tracks which I haven't really fired at a lot because il-2 can kill all tanks in AH outright. If AH continues modelling the tank keeling significantly as the track is gone, that'll make the needed angle smaller.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 06:47:31 AM »
If AH continues modelling the tank keeling significantly as the track is gone

They don't do that anymore since tour 135

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
They don't do that anymore since tour 135

Aah! Thanks!
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
You can see the lineage up through the Leopard II series.

The big question, will the King Tiger PzVI get stuck in sand and 6" of water? haha

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »
To illustrate:

This is a typical, successful attack on a tank by me in a Hurricane D:
(Image removed from quote.)

And that's only 45 degrees.
Against a T-34/76 or a Tiger I would have used a steeper angle (up to 60 deg), but that takes a very careful setup and is quite easy to foil for the enemy tank if he's free to move. Most regular players I see doing attack runs in Il-2s come in at angles between 30 and 45 degrees.

Great pic Lusche, just out of curiosity your convergence set at 200?
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
just out of curiosity your convergence set at 200?