Author Topic: Shhhh.... I'm Secretly Shelling the Base.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Shhhh.... I'm Secretly Shelling the Base.
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:54:09 AM »
Ok... we have all seen this.  And most of us have probably done it.  It is probably THE most effective way to take a base in the whole game.  However... it has to also be the MOST unrealistic way... (well ok... one of the most unrealistic ways).  Here goes:

I "sneak" my giant aircraft carrier, cruiser, and destroyers WELL INSIDE the radar range, and tower detection range of an enemy base.  In fact... I'm going to park it right off shore... going back and forth right in front of the town.  Then... Im going to open up with no less than 3.. 3 gun batteries of 8" naval guns.. and begin LEVELING every building I see.  Stores, houses, government buildings, inns, taverns, farms, hangars, barracks, ordinance bunkers, cows, sheep... EVERYTHING. 

But... no one in the town will say a word... no one will cry for help... no one gets on the radio, or telephone and calls in that buildings are mysteriously exploding.  Why?  Well... because the townspeople and the soldiers on watch were told ONLY to call in if they were attacked by aircraft... or ground vehicles.  A 900 foot long, 150 foot tall behemoth right off the beach, with 5 or 6 support ships does not all into that category... so why alert anyone.  Oh... and since they dont need to report the ships, they dont need to report the shells that are falling all over the base and town either.

Really??   :huh

Ok... now that my dramatic scenario is over.  I know the reason WHY a task group does not flash a base.  Its because the tower warning ranges are set up for aircraft, and ground vehicles.  However... because of what I am describing above, I feel that they should also flash AT LEAST if the task force starts firing... if not when the CV moves within the tower warning range (which for those that do not know, is different than radar ring range).

Great lengths are being taken to make things more realistic, and take out elements of the game that are... well... "gamey".  THIS... is nothing but gamey and totally unrealistic..

Have I done it?  You bet.  Does every side do it?  You bet.  It is a valid tactic given the tools we have to work with, and given how it works.  But... if this were fixed, it would cause task groups to operate more in the manner in which they were intended... further out to sea.  Not as a "super secret invisible whack-a-mole mallot" used to take town an entire town and base without anyone even knowing its going on until its too late.

Could task groups still be used to take down town and bases if this were fixed?  Sure... but they wouldnt be able to do it secretly. 

So can we please... please... fix this?  There has got to be a way to make the base and town flash once it starts getting shelled.

***G3-MF***

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Shhhh.... I'm Secretly Shelling the Base.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
This morning I actually secretly sunk an entire cv fleet with my stealth 8 inchers.   :lol
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
This morning I actually secretly sunk an entire cv fleet with my stealth 8 inchers.   :lol

Yup... been there, done that too.  And just as "gamey". 

***G3-MF***

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
So how would YOU propose to "fix" this?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:10 AM »
Have a radar ring turn YELLOW (and flash yellow/red if dar is down) whenever an enemy fleet is inside that dar circle.

Make CVs beach themselves and capsize if they get too close to shore (or just increase the minimum distance a waypoint can be set before it "touches land")

Have AI use the SBs to fire at fleets effectively until some human player jumps into the SB, or have AI controlled SBs along with player controlled ones.

There are tons of options to stop this, many have been brought up before (and many of those by me, as well)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »

Hard to say.  That would be a coding issue.  But... here are a couple of ideas (dont know if they would work or not... that would be for HTC to comment on)

1) There could be something in the town, on the base, and on the CV that would "detect" shells landing within a certain perimeter.

or

2) Damage occurring to any building or ship would set off a "base under under attack" alarm

Now... since a task group is essentially a moving base... I dont know if just the presence of one inside warning range could be set up to set off an alarm.  But if it could, then there should be a separate tower detection range set up for that.

***G3-MF***

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »

He's basically asking for task groups to cause fields and other task groups to flash upon entering tower warning range at least, only flashing when being fired upon at the very least. I know, I read his post.

Given this criteria, it seems shore batteries should be able to cause a CV to flash, though that's unnecessary imo
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:17:04 AM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:15:47 AM »
The most logical approach is to remodel the Task Groups into.....

wait for it......

AIRSHIPS!

Yeah!

That way they'd be considered aircraft and would set of the radar warning.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
Hard to say.  That would be a coding issue.  

Very simple if you would just allow a manned gun position making base flash just like a GV.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
Very simple if you would just allow a manned gun position making base flash just like a GV.

Genius... simple... but genius.  (dont let that go to your head though  :neener: )

You are totally correct.  A manned gun battery should be treated as a manned aircraft or GV.  (probably aircraft... given that detection range on a CV should be greater than a jeep :)  )

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:22:16 AM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Simple solution: incoming rounds flash dar.  No firing, no flash.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
Simple solution: incoming rounds flash dar.  No firing, no flash.

That is an option as well...  but I think Lusche hit it right on the head.  Aircraft and GV's set off the base flash because they are manned, so the coding already exists for this.  All that would need to change would be to have a gun battery that is manned send the same data to the tower.

This would mean that the base (or opposing cv) would flash even if you were just sitting in a gun, and not firing... if you were within detection range.  Which I dont think is a bad thing at all.  

***G3-MF***

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
"Very simple if you would just allow a manned gun position making base flash just like a GV."

probably mean cv's hardly ever used, I say leave it as is.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
The most logical approach is to remodel the Task Groups into.....

wait for it......

AIRSHIPS!

Yeah!

That way they'd be considered aircraft and would set of the radar warning.

:rofl
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
I could see if the cv is in dar, maybe something happens. You can still shell the town outside dar,. But all and all Im not into this suggestion.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.