Author Topic: Is it supporting your ground forces or busting up a tank fight?  (Read 857 times)

Offline zippo

• Zinc Member
  I have read recent posts in which people say they are supporting their ground forces by bombing the gv's and that it was realistic in THE WAR.  This is A GAME, and some of these tank fights have no goal other than a tank fight(ground level furball?), would it be considered support or interferrence?  IMHO if they are attacking or defending a base, they are fair game, but some of these spawn battles are just gv'ers trying to play tanks.
  It has been said to have a friendly CAP...that's boring for the guys flying around waiting for something to happen... how may times is a cv capped?
  Has also been said to have aaa standing by...most gv'ers don't want to take a flak to a tank fight, they just up them in response to the air attacks.
  I don't think I have ever heard a gv'er on country ask for bomb****s to come help out at a good gv fight......

Just saying

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: Is it supporting your ground forces or busting up a tank fight?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
most of the time they wont one of my fovorite things to do is up a hurri1 or a brew and just spot tanks for good guys.
sometimes the badguys bring too many tanks then I have to thin em out some.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
It seems the game has swayed toward the tankers. What with the IL2 gelded without F3 its simple to take out ords at an airbase and turn an airbase fight into a tank fight. Im not surprised or offended. The game always had far more tankers then tank killers and now with the new tanks introduced a new, very exciting, facet has been introduced to AH. I havnt flown the IL2 yet without F3 but know for sure its going to be far more at risk to enemy fighters. Not just that but it will be harder to setup the steep climbs/dives in contested air while keeping lined up on the tank. Oh, and with its views limited it will be more at risk for ack.

I always respected the tankers by never carrying ords and using cannon only. That and I never flew ILs or Hurr-Ds to tank base vs tank base tank fights. I always figured let them have their game too. But, if they attacked an airbase they were fair game. At least to the 37s on the Storm Bird. If we had PTAB bombs on them then they would have an even more serious problem, as it was PTABs that slaughtered most German tanks in the war.

Well maybe its time to try and figure out new tactics for the Storm Bird. The "Circle Of Death" would work if you could get 4 or more together.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
IMO, its interference unless an airfield is under direct threat. If someone bombs your hangers, then thats an invitation to bomb HANGERS, its not an invitation to bomb TANKS. I always respond in kind. If our attack bogs down because of bomb tards, then I go grab a few squadies and kill twice as many of their tanks.

I bomb flacks and campers impartially and can't complain when I get bombed under those situations.

And Rich, it has just been balanced out. There is no real reason that the Il-2 should have F3 view. Come to that, neither is there any reason that the A20, Boston, Mossie 16, Ju-87, D3A, B5N, or the SBD to have F3 view. Its just representing the multiple gun possitions alearting the rest of the bomber crew if a fighter is seen.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
  I don't think I have ever heard a gv'er on country ask for bombers to come help out at a good gv fight......

Just saying

"HEY CAN YOU PLEASE MARK THAT TANK I HEAR?" hear it ALL the time :rolleyes:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »
spotting is worlds apart from bombing. Unless the defenition of "mark" has changed, its a very clear request fo someone to come and report the location of a GV, not drop an egg on his head.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
Most generally I don't interfere with a battle between GV's.  If I'm flying by and see a bad guy, I'll give our guys a shout on range.
If asked, I usually will mark the ones that are hiding.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
Rooks attacking P23 last night were asking for air support, so I flew over in a Mossie, but I left the bombs and rockets at home.  My intention was to give air cover.  I did down a P-38 and an A-20 that were attacking us before two Mustangs showed up and ushered me out.  I also tried marking tanks with my .303s, but the quat 20mm they had with them made that a bit hot for me.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
And Rich, it has just been balanced out. There is no real reason that the Il-2 should have F3 view. Come to that, neither is there any reason that the A20, Boston, Mossie 16, Ju-87, D3A, B5N, or the SBD to have F3 view. Its just representing the multiple gun possitions alearting the rest of the bomber crew if a fighter is seen

Actually I assumed they all had F3 removed. If the JU-87 has F3 then why would the IL2s be removed ? The IL2 not only has a rear gunner but also a bomb bay.

So anyway I upped a few IL2s tonight, killed a couple perked tanks and an M3. Its not such a handicap, you can do more with the views then I had thought. And the circle of death works fine. So its all good.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 10:32:32 PM »
Rich52,

Il-2 was being used as an air-to-air fighter in F3 mode very frequently.  The Ju87, D3A and SBD-5 don't get used like that much.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 01:24:34 AM »
Seems to me if the fight is between two GV bases, it's meant to be tank v tank.  When it's someone trying to overrun an airfield, they're fair game for air to ground.

You leave my air to air alone, and I won't interfere with your ground war :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
Seems to me if the fight is between two GV bases, it's meant to be tank v tank.  When it's someone trying to overrun an airfield, they're fair game for air to ground.

You leave my air to air alone, and I won't interfere with your ground war :)

I'm one of those eye for eye type players, Generally I love to tank and support a tank battle, now saying this - if bombs are left out I am fine and dandy, spotting is fine also except when someone brings a dozen eggs to the fight. Then I will up and spot and bomb, etc.

Generally speaking, if there's a tank fight between 2 V-bases - DONT BRING BOMBS. If your base is being attacked then by all means you can defend with bombs, but mostly what i see is someone dies once to an enemy tank, then ups bombs because he <insert 100 excuses> can't GV.
JG 52

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
Rich52,

Il-2 was being used as an air-to-air fighter in F3 mode very frequently.  The Ju87, D3A and SBD-5 don't get used like that much.

All due respect Karnak it was used primarily by one guy "GHI" all the time as an all around airbase defender. Certainly I shot down airplanes too with it but they were almost all HO'ers or vulchers and had it coming. Its slow as as molassis, climbs like a bowling ball, and turns like pooh pooh. You basically have one move in a dogfight and then your flat and slow. Anyone in a fighter shot down by a IL2 deserves it. Heck, I was never any good in a fighter and I still beat IL2s all the time.

The F3 got killed cause of all the tankers complaining. The IL2 WAS murder on tanks. But only near airfields cause it was to slow to take to GV bases and still is. It has always been a sitting duck to flak.

Bottom line is the Ju87, D3A, SBD-5, dont get used much at all. Not in LW. They are probably the three least used planes in LW.

So the F3 is gone for good. No problem, Im not complaining. But, change of plans, theres not going to be any more leaving vehicle bases alone or not loading ords, lol I killed a Panther with 132s yesterday. Alls fair in Love and War.  :salute

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:29:47 AM by Rich52 »
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
All due respect Karnak it was used primarily by one guy all the time as an all around airbase defender. Certainly I shot down airplanes too with it but they were almost all HO'ers or vulchers and had it coming. Its slow as as molassis, climbs like a bowling ball, and turns like pooh pooh. You basically have one move in a dogfight and then your flat and slow. Anyone in a fighter shot down by a IL2 deserves it. Heck, I was never any good in a fighter and I still beat IL2s all the time.

The F3 got killed cause of all the tankers complaining. The IL2 WAS murder on tanks. But only near airfields cause it was to slow to take to GV bases and still is. It has always been a sitting duck to flak.

Bottom line is the Ju87, D3A, SBD-5, dont get used much at all. Not in LW. They are probably the three least used planes in LW.

So the F3 is gone for good. No problem, Im not complaining. But, change of plans, theres not going to be any more leaving vehicle bases alone or not loading ords, lol I killed a Panther with 132s yesterday. Alls fair in Love and War.  :salute

In all honesty, the Ju87 does a wonderful job of tank busting if ords are up, with F3 mode it does wonders with the small bomb load it has, vs something like a hurricane C, fact is the centerline bomb does great for clusters or a tiger.

Most are just to scared I suppose to up it?
JG 52

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »
no f3 mode at all please!...ghi's round some corner smiling getting his il2 ready!
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen