Author Topic: Question for Experienced P-40 Pilots  (Read 1164 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Question for Experienced P-40 Pilots
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
:huh
and again, seriously
 :huh

well ....I must do something wrong then...I find the P40E stall fights just fine with a A6M5....and this is against guys who I consider better than myself...this may just be due to game dynamics though....

And as others have said...the Ki61/ c202 is always a good fight for it

:D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

well ....I must do something wrong then...I find the P40E stall fights just fine with a A6M5....and this is against guys who I consider better than myself...this may just be due to game dynamics though....

And as others have said...the Ki61/ c202 is always a good fight for it

:D

Both the P-40 (either model) and the Ki-61 have terrible flaps. Huge drag greatly offsets any improvement in turn radius due to a massive hit in turn rate. A Zero, any Zero will eat it alive, assuming the pilot has some basic skill level. Likewise, the C.202 is much faster, accelerates quicker and owns the vertical versus the P-40s. The P-40 pilot must get in a killing shot before E levels are in the bucket, because at that point, the C.202 will dominate it.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »
I was fying the P-40b in the LWA a while ago and I really liked it.  It's not as bad in a turn fight as people make it out to be but if you get too slow it does wallow.  Having spent a lot of seat time in the 190A-8 this was almost natural to me.  In fact those two aircraft (along with the 190F-8) might be an interesting match.  The P-40B does best coming into the fight with a slight bit of alt advantage to use to hold speed up.  Even a P-51D will eventually out turn it though and you don't have the speed, acceleration or climb rate to gain an advantage so you've got to be creative as a pilot.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
My first few sories in the -E (post remodel) worked me out about 4 kills. just keep it high, and dive down. when the enemy pulls up exposing himself, all 6x guns blazing should rip it up. of course this was in a furball, possibly 6v6 so I had a constant eye on my six.

and like said before. its easy to get a kill or two. landing them is the problem
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
Likewise, the C.202 is much faster, accelerates quicker and owns the vertical versus the P-40s. The P-40 pilot must get in a killing shot before E levels are in the bucket, because at that point, the C.202 will dominate it.

Heh.  Except that dominating isn't enough, the 202 has to shoot it down, which often is a big challenge for the 202.  During that process it's easy for the 202 pilot to make a mistake that permits the P-40 to get in a shot.  Almost always it's a fun fight.

- oldman