Author Topic: Starting Friday July 29th "Folgore"  (Read 2261 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Starting Friday July 29th "Folgore"
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »

The Macchi C.202 Folgore "THUNDERBOLT" went into service with the Regia Aeronautica in July 1941 and immediately proved to be an effective front line fighter. The Folgore first saw combat during the Siege of Malta on 29 or 30 September 1941 this first mission was intercepting British Hurricanes over Sicily. However the presence of the Folgores in Maltese skies was to last only until the end of November, when most of the unit was transferred to the deteriorating North Africa front. On 26 November 1941, during Operation Crusader, 19 Macchis of 9° Gruppo, 4° Stormo were sent to Africa, in response to the British offensive. During its initial combats over the Western Desert, the Folgore was quite a shock to British pilots fighting it in Hurricanes and P-40E Kittyhawks.
This setup represents the Folgore's debut in North Africa operating in support of Italy during Operation Crusader and their initial battles with the RAF's Desert Air Force.

This setup represents the general area and the victory conditions are not historical.

Objectives:

Allies:
Advance up the coast from Tripoli and destroy the city of Tunis.

Axis:
Advance down the coast from Tunis and destroy the city of Tripoli.

Victory will be determined Thursday night Aug 4th at Midnite EST and will be based on higher percentage of enemy city destroyed.

NOTE: Due to the fact only one city per side is targeted and the Axis has 3 country owned cities on this terrain as opposed to 1 for the allies, each percentage of the axis city destroyed will adjusted to 2.66%

Setup:
Map= Tunisia

Axis= Knights

Aircraft
I-16 (Fiat G50 sub)
MC202
JU87
G4M- Sub for Savoia-Marchetti SM.79

GVs
M-3
M-8
M-16
Pnzr IV

Allied= Bishops

Hurri MKI
P-40E
Boston

GVs
M-3
M-8
M-16
Matilda (sub M4A1)

ARENA SETTINGS
MAP: Tunisia
Bombsight Auto Calibrate
Killshooter is on.
Visibility is 12.0 miles
Fuel burn rate is 1.0
Ack settings are .25
Base capture: 10 troops
Radar (1941-small)
Sector 105600
Tower 52800
Enemy Icons 3K
Friendly Icons 3K
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:00:44 PM by jimson »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Starting Friday July 29th "Folgore"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
 :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:52:35 PM »
Duel in the desert!  At least it's a dry heat.  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:41:45 AM »
This setup represents the Folgore's debut in North Africa operating in support of Italy during Operation Crusader and their initial battles with the RAF's Desert Air Force.

Yay!

- oldman

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
Whoo hoo! more I-16!  Been having too much fun in that little plane this week to not want more.   :D
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »
Early war North Africa......Excellent  :cheers:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Perhaps if the I-16 is a sub for the G.50, disable the 20mm options in the server settings?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
Perhaps if the I-16 is a sub for the G.50, disable the 20mm options in the server settings?

Quite true Krusty. I meant to have no rockets and type 24 loadout only for the I-16 when I wrote the setup. It slipped my mind so thanks for the reminder.

Also you Buff drivers. The G4M is subbing for the SM-79 and has an Italian skin on this map. Remember to use it if you're Buffing for the Axis.  :aok

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Ah Yes, was planning to do this but forgot to put it in the write up.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »
Ah Yes, was planning to do this but forgot to put it in the write up.

Also Jim I had another misfire. It should be P-40B Tomahawks for the Allies not P-40E Kittyhawks. Trap caught that one.
Thanks Trap. Sorry guys my PC was down earlier this week and it played hell with getting anything done.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Ok, No problem.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »
Quick questions. Was the Sm-79 as flamable as the G4M, and what is it about the betty that makes it a suitable sub? (don't take this as a dig on the plane chosen as a sub, just a genuine question)

I-16 with 4 BB guns will make you work for the kill. awsome  :D
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
Tmetal, it was a slow vulnerable early bomber with a light bombload.

The Betty is one of probably 2-3 planes in the game that COULD sub for it. The others are the Ju88 and the Boston III off the top of my head. I think they're both faster than the Betty as well.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
thanks krusty  :aok

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
No prob.

Turns out the boston III is some 80mph faster. Too fast for most planes in this setup to even catch.

Ju88 is closer, matching up to 8K but faster above that. It also doesn't look the part, and is ugly (old graphics, blech!)

So, betty is the best choice. Although it's probably better defended, the 20mm gun sucks horribly on it, so I guess it evens out.